Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot share resources between XP and W2K

Options
  • 20-09-2003 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hi,

This is driving me nuts. I desperately need somebody to help me with any good idea on what's going on.

Scenario
    PC1 is XP/Pro. PC2 is W2K. Both connected to a D-Link D504 DSL Router (4x10/100 ports + ADSL). IP addresses provided by the DHCP server in the router. The router is running NAT.

Problem: Can't properly see shared resources: Printers or folders.

Both PC1 and PC2 can ping each other.
    Both PC1 and PC2 can access the Internet thru the router
    Both have the same workgroup name
    Both have NetBios over TCP/IP checked
    PC1 (running XP) has IPF disabled.
    Both have the proper Services running (Server, Computer Browser).
    Both have File and Printing Sharing for Microsoft Networks" enabled in the Local Area Network connection.
    Both have Guest user enabled.
    Both have the latest Service Packs installed.
    Both have at least 1 shared folder enabled.

The router has no firewall enabled.
    The router filtering only the following L2 traffic (RARP, IP Broadcast, 802.1Q). All the rest passes.

Problem Statement:
    From PC1 (running XP) go to Microsoft Network. Can see both PC1 and PC2. Click on PC2 gives message "\\PC2 is not accesible. you might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator..."
    From PC2 (running W2K) try the same, see the workgroup name, click on it and get "WORKGROUP is not accesible. The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently accesible".

Help!
    Butch:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Butch

Well... Adding Netbeui does the trick. Not a clean one, but it solves the issue temporarely.

Still would be interested in hearing an alternative solution without Netbeui.

Thanks,
    Butch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Crunch

have same problem XP to XP. same error msg as PC1.
    laptop i borrowed doesnt have optical drive, so I cant install netbui. whats next?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

It's a while since I used windows networking so...

What are you logged in as when this happens?
    If you log in as "billy" on pc1, make sure and set up a user account for "billy" on pc2 (with the relevant privileges) and vice versa...

Advertisement