Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

killer graphics setup

Options
  • 05-06-1999 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭

i have quite a bit to spend on a new system this summer, and i'm wondering which graphics cards would be the best to get, its a toss up between:

A TNT2 32mb + a v2 sli.

or

A Voodoo3 and a TNT2 32meg (which i know is difficult to setup but it CAN be done)

So what should i go for?

"The Electric Mayhem: Unplugged & Asleep"
    www.planet-tribes.com/em
    homepage.tinet.ie/~robertg/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Theres something very cool in the PipeLine for the TNT2's. Creative Labs are introducing a Glide "Thang" into there drivers. Its supposed to be good, some say very good. Its still beta and once all the bugs are sorted i'm sure other TNT2 manufacturers will implement it so there inst much to choose from between V3 and TNT2 cause the Glide issue could soon be a thing of the past. TNT2 from Hercules or Creative seems to be the bad boys for Graphics ATM.

SB...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Voodoo 3's have been shown as faster in all reviews I've seen
    & glide emulators usually aren't very good, & likelyhood of legal actiom also, plus you HAVE to have a creative TNT/TNT2 to actually use the unified drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

well the Creative TNT2 would be what im buying cos it seems to have so much more going for it than the V3; larger texture sizes; 2048x2048 as opposed to 256x256 on the V3, 32bit rendering while the voodoo only supports 16bit. While there is still the problem of compatibility, ill probably be getting 2 12mb v2's aswell so im not worried smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Creeper

Don't get the Creative TNT2. They are the most basic ones available. You can mail-order the Hercules TNT2 Ultra from some place in England for £180stg + free delivery. It runs at a really high clock speed and you can clock it higher. Also has buckets of other features that the Creative doesn't.
    This Hercules card beats the Voodoo3 3500 by loads. Look at www.tomshardware.com.
    Also, 3dfx cards still don't do 32-bit color at all. Having ridiculously high color counts makes things look a hell of a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

Castor GEY said:
    > Voodoo 3's have been shown as faster in all reviews I've seen

Sniff sniff bull****. I've read the vast majority and ok, granted, at lower res's the v3 kiks tnt2's bum, but anything over 800x600 on a pc above 400mhz it blows away the v3 for image quality and raw fps,

check out

http://www.anandtech.com/html/review_display.cfm?document=959

And ask the pro, and waht about waht Tom from Toms Hardware says, or any of the true pros. stop reading amatuer reviews BUD,

fact is the TNT2 is a better card, and at pcs above 350mhz blows the v3 away.

ohhhhhhhhhhh GIVE it to me DAVEEEEEEEEEEY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

i have my eye on a dell system (xps 550), which does include a 32Mb Diamond Viper 770 TNT 2 Video Card...dont know what that ones like but ill prob order the hercules instead from somewhere else.

Advertisement