Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlon64

Options
  • 20-09-2003 9:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭

Anyone thinking of nabbing one of them tasty looking Athlon64's when they come out in a few days?

I've been looking at benchmarks of Opteron's overclocked to A64 speeds, and if teh A64 matchs that... its drooling'ly good.

Here you can see an overclocked Opteron at work, and in some cases it smashes the P4 with a 50% speed increase!

Place thoughts and flames below.

Will the Athlon 64 whoop ass? 14 votes

Yes, of course it will, its AMD!
    0% 0 votes
    Yes, but it'll probably be a rip off
    28% 4 votes
    Hopefully, but i don;t really care.
    42% 6 votes
    Intel will release a new chip and cream it.
    28% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

its pretty meaningless imo, its by no means nescessary for games or most other programs. It has also put me in doubt about buying now or waiting, ive always been a fan of amd and their chips but i dont have lots of money and if i get it wrong im pretty much fuked since i wont be upgrading again probably for years. so i dont know if i should get an xp2600 or somethin or pay for this whole new 64 bit crap.

advice please.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

It looks like it will be a powerfull chip priced about the same as a 3200 is now.
    It would be far better if they bring out lower speed variants e.g. 2600, 2800.
    Should be good and affordable when it reaches 90 nanometer with ddr2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

its pretty meaningless imo, its by no means nescessary for games or most other programs.

Everyone sees the chip and goes, "wow 64bit, but theres no 64bit programs, so wahts the point?" They are wrong.

As far as i know the new 64bit will at least be on par with the opteron processor performancewise, there's no reason it'd be much less. That means that it will have /fantastic/ 32bit performance. Did you check the link above? If that is true, then not only do you have a p4 killer, but you have it at a cheaper price than a p4, and with the added bonus of being able to run 64bit apps.

This chip is by no means as crap as intels 64bit chip. This chip is much more than just "backwards compatible" it is also a fully fleged 32bit chip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

heres another tidbit of info. i don't know if its true or not, but it was published in a french computer magaine called "PC Performance"

"The results, even though me must considere them as temporary, show some impressive datas. Athlon 64 looks to be 70% faster than competitors running at similar frequency (1.4GHz)."

Advertisement