Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Managers for the chop!!

• 20-09-2003 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭

What is it with football supporters:confused: 6 games into the season and already people are calling for certain managers to be sacked Glenn Hoddle, Bobby Robson etc. As a newcastle fan I cant believe people want Sir Bobby to be sacked. He took over a club in crisis and changed them into a top 4 team. Ok we have no wins yet this season but its hardly like we are gonna get relegated!! As for Glenn Hoddle he was hailed as a messiah by the spurs supporters when he took over and now hes public enemy number 1. What a fickel world we live in:rolleyes: Any1 else got any thoughts on it??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

i'd never have classed hoddle as a messiah!! he has never been a defensive style manager and he thought he could just bring in Dean Richards and he's defensive probs would just go away - but he hardly plays! also he lacks the creativity to show players or give them ideas!! He was lucky to get the English Managers job and he has and will als be an average manager. i think he should be sacked!

Bring back Jack Charlton - they cant score in there own half lads - but apparently neither could we!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Glenda eh? He was lucky with England, pure and simple. He had a strong squad, and was blessed by the availability of Sherear...believe me, Erickson would have a much easier job with him in his squad.

He did a reasonable job at Southampton, but isn't it ironic that he tried to get rid of James Beattie to Palace???

As for messiah? I thought George Graham had done an ok job, considering where we were before he took over. Of course, the likes of Graham have found it harder and harder to adapt to the pace and style of the Premiership recently (just look at Terry Venables and Howard Wilkinson). Hoddle was welcomed by the Spurs fans, just as Ardiles was, because of his previous connections with the club. NOTHING he has done since coming convinces me that he is the right man for the job.

He has had money to spend (£25 million+) and a decent squad to work with. What hasn't changed is his arrogance, his inability to accept even the slightest of blame for his team's failings. Concede 3 goals against relegation favourites Fulham? They played one man up front against 3 centre backs. 3 more goals conceded today, again with 3 centre backs. In fact, Hoddle has been reluctant to abandon his preferred 5-3-2 formation throughout his reign, and at one stage insisted on playing two full backs as emergency centre backs to suit his grand vision.

I was one person who believed Teddy Sheringham was past it at the end of last season, and was glad to see him go. Oh how wrong I was. Watching Teddy play with a renewed sense of passion for Pompey, I can't help but wonder would he still be at White Hart Lane playing some of the best football of his career if Glenda had been sent packing last season like he should have been.

I'm all for giving a manager time to bed down, but only if they are honest and put their hands up when they get it wrong. Smug gits like Hoddle deserve no such consideration.

Oh, and Bobby Robson is a legend who dragged Newcastle out of the doldrums to build a great team who will turn things around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

If I was a Spurs fan I would be v concerned Dalmat was their best player in first half yet got taken off but Newcy do worry me because 2 players in particular Dyer and Speed aren't pulling up their socks at all when the lose the ball they both are not running after it also when Robert crossed for Shearer and AS missed he didn't acknowledge the cross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Eron

The reason managers get critisised so early is because people want to see their team making a good start and having the risk of relegation practicaly gone by christmass, and everyone wants to be in the title race... getting a good start (i.e 6-7 wins out of first 10 games) is a real morale booster....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Hoddle to my mind is mostlikely to be sacked. He was never a good manager even at england he mad bad mistakes (played sicknote instead of beckham in the world cup for a long time and left owen on the bench when he was playing really well).
    He is very single minded which would be good if his ideas were correct unfortunately for spurs a lot of his thinking is very irrational.

I am surprised at the Newcastle fans turning on Sir Bobby. It Just goes to show most fans are fickle and a manager is only as good as his last result

• Advertisement

Sir Bobby is a super manager, and such a sound manager, every manager in the league looks up to him, he always complements the other team, and is very respectful and watches his words. He has a good taste in signings, and always puts out a very strong team, they hastle every team they play, and its so early in the season for him to put under pressure. Hoddle should be gone, appears Spurs are the only place that will take him though... Imo hes a bit like McCarthy, good with a decent squad, but **** as a club manager. Maybe he should be sent to a div1 side, and Spurs get a real manager, or get a french one like everyone else :)

Sir Bobby is a super manager, and such a sound manager, every manager in the league looks up to him, he always complements the other team, and is very respectful and watches his words.

Agree fully, Obviously ,m not a castle fan But he is one of the soundest managers in The premiership. He was The best manager Englan have had since sir alf and was treated badly there too.

On the England point, I agree totally... Noone can touch him really, cept for 2 managers... Fergie and John Toshack (not as far as international level goes, but as far as manager in general goes)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Nike_Dude

Bobby was certainly the most successful english manager in recent times yet he was still treated like dirt (but thats the english media i suppose:rolleyes: Hoddle probably deserved the sack but why did the board give him all that money to spend on kanoute postiga and zamora but only give him 6 games to gel the team together, in all honesty spurs are way too good to go down surely he could have been given till christmas. All newcastle need is a bit of luck (and someone to give Robert a good kick up the a**e) and they will be back in the top 5

All newcastle need is a bit of luck
    Havent seen much of them this season but when i did they looked a bit light in defence and the middle. I would not be so sure on luck improving their fortunes.

• Advertisement

they didnt just become a bad team over the summer, but i do agree that the are definately short of a few defenders and the midfield dont seem to be pulling their weight and if anything happened shearer they would be in HUGE trouble. it should be close between them and liverpool for the fourth champions league place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JohnnyBravo

Looks like it could be poor team spirit wouldnt surprise me if robert was the most hated player in the newcastle dressing room newcastle should have bought another striker (philips maybe ) and another 3 defenders werent they linked with both bridge and carr in the summer

it should be close between them and liverpool for the fourth champions league place
    They have a bit if catching up to do to get to fouth position.
    Its very early to make any predictions but if they get stuck down there for much longer moral is bound to suffer. Its very difficult to see whats changed since lat year , maybe its just a tempory blip.

Robert would be a lot better off shutting his mouth and start playing like he did when he first came to the club. Newcastle made a bad start 2 seasons ago and still finished 4th so they still have time to recover but they need to start getting some results quickly or the fans will start to turn on the players

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Arsenal away next for the barcode boys, might be a while yet before they win a game in the league !

Advertisement