Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Port 80 on UTVip?

Options
  • 20-09-2003 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me if Port 80 is blocked on UTVip?

Trying to set up a web server but when trying to browse to my IP address it always fails... I dont have any firewall running and XPs firewall is turned off.

anyone help me ?

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

If you posted this using UTV then its not blocked.

Is your webserver running on port 80 ? Is your webserver on the pc you are on now ?

Type in 127.0.0.1 in your browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Crumble
    Can anyone tell me if Port 80 is blocked on UTVip?

Trying to set up a web server but when trying to browse to my IP address it always fails... I dont have any firewall running and XPs firewall is turned off.

No they don't block it. I have apache running on my mac and it'll accept connections on port 80. (Using UTVip).

What webserver are you using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Why would port 80 be blocked??

Which web server are you using ..IIS or Apache?

If IIS, make sure the service is actually running - right click on 'my computer'-> manage -> services - look for iis in the listed services

Also, go to ctrl panel -> admin tools -> iis

check that your site is the default website -> when you click on the default, it will either say its running or stopped -> if stopped, right click and press 'start'.
    You may have to install the admin tools from the xp disk - as fars i can remember, its an add-on - you just need to go to add/remove programmes - then select add windows components - > admin tools.

Assuming your setup is in order, go to the browser and type:

http://localhost/website_foldername/file_name

- where website foldername is the name of the folder which contains all your sites files (contained usually in c:/inetpub/wwwroot/)
    - where filename is the name of one of the files in that folder eg. index.html

If its an Apache issue, please confirm and someone else will help you. (regretably) I have no experience with Apache (yet:D ).

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Crumble

Im running Abyss X1

I have one PC directly connected to the net.... then I have a 2nd PC which I am currently setting up as a server..

This machine is connected to the first via a 10/100 hub

I can browse my web pages from the 1st PC by entering the IP address of the 2nd machine... I presumed that if I tried to browse my external IP address this would also work.... however now I think about it a think the web server would have to be running on the machine that is directly connected to the net... am I right ?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by Eurorunner
    Why would port 80 be blocked??
    Some ISPs block ports like that to stop people running webservers/whatever off their connections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by Crumble
    however now I think about it a think the web server would have to be running on the machine that is directly connected to the net... am I right ?
    Doesn't have to be. You could setup a nat mapping to the machine on the LAN.
    How are you sharing the connection between the two machines?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Crumble

The internet connected machine is connected to the other machine via a 10/100 switching hub

Both machines are running winxp pro

The 2nd machine had a dynamic IP assigned by the host machine.

hope that helps.

thanks

Advertisement