Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the biggest threat to amateur Astronomy in Ireland?

• 20-09-2003 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Is it the crap weather? The light pollution? What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Astro1996

Has to be light pollution, i mean c'mon, how many automatic spot/flood lights do you need around the place, if anyone was to try and rob your house they will be blinded by the myriad of lights that greet you when you step outside at night in this day and age, its a joke and some of the dam things stay on all night!, for what?!
    The light pollution around dublin is getting really bad now. Its just a rusty haze all over the place, I live in Tallaght, and have been into astrophotography since 1994. Back then there was still light pollution but it was nowhere near what it is today. To the south of me are the mountains and this is the only part of the sky that is still sorta dark, look to the north and east....DUBLIN CITY in all its messy glory, look to west...ie Lucan/Condalkin, this part of the sky was dark when hale bopp was around, now there is a rusty glow, that just seems to be getting bigger and bigger.

Even the STAR-B-Q'S old site cant escape and thats up a mountain. its still a good spot but dublin is still visible with its dome of light.

The best spot ive ever seen for astronomy in ireland (when skies are clear) was when i stayed at st petersbourg lesuire centre in Galway/Mayo, its was unreal, i just couldnt believe it compared to dublin and its surroundings. Everything, even stuff you couldnt see in wicklow at the star b q was just sitting there in the blackest skies ive ever seen.

ANYWAY....had to get that off my chest.

The light pollution in ireland and in general has to be stoped, or else astronomy as a hobby is dead.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

Originally posted by Astro1996
    The light pollution in ireland and in general has to be stoped, or else astronomy as a hobby is dead.

www.irishastronomy.org/ilpac
    Irish Light Pollution Awareness Campaign

Were doing the launch at Whirlpool next weekend. Folks can (please!) join the mailinglist, if they would like to help out.

Cheers,
    ~Al

Advertisement