Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help copying stuff to CDs

Options
  • 05-06-1999 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

I seem to have a little problem copying game Cds, a certain game, lets just call it Champ M 3 seems to copy perfectly and I can install from the new CD but when I go to start the game it says it cant find the CM3 CD. Is this something to do with the CD serial number, is there any way around it?
    Any help would be nice.

El

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Well as your no doubt aware copy Cd's is illegal and something you agreed to not to do on this board when you signed up. But since make backup copies is legal, I'll assume that what your doing.

Certain cd use non-standard formats to avoid you coping them, normally things like 700meg files etc. You could try something like CDRwin which can copy most things, and has a almost fully functional shareware, it'll only copy at times 1 speed. Note if you use a fake key, It'll not tell you its fake and just copies crap to a Cd wasting your time and a blank Cd.

heres a link :-
    http://www.goldenhawk.de/

and heres another link, but quite as useful for your purposes
    http://members.aol.com/k1p2k1p2/products.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

There's a cd copy page at gamecopyzone or something like that.

give it a ging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

how many cd-roms u have cause u might have the cd in the wrong cd drive dont think you can play a cd on a cd-r

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Yes, just for back up.

I do have 2 cd drives but i'm sure that aint the problem.

I'll give those links a try but I also heard about something called "Niro" which is very good, anyone know anything about that?

El

opps, thats nero not niro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

em i have nero here but i had prob seting it up its 2.9mb i could e-mail it to yea if yea want. Whats your addy?
    but the problame doesnt seem to be with the burning it seems to be with the cd-rom .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭H_K

just get cm3 on warez wink.gif 7mb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Creeper

I might possibly be able to mail you a copy of CDRWIN accompanied by a working CD key.
    What's your email?

I d/led Nero and it didn't work, ta for the offer anyway man.

Creeper, as for CDRWIN, i'll give it a go, my e-mail is mullent@iol.ie

The real problem im haveing is not copying the files but after the game is installed and I go to start it up it looks for the game CD and isn't happy with the burnt one. I tryed changing the title of the CD to the same as the original but that didn't work, I suspect its something to do with the CD serial number.

But hey, i'll try anything. After spending all that money and not being able to "backup" games would be most annoying.

El

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Quick question.... are you copying the _files_, or the _disc_?

With a lot of games, copying the files over won't work, because the disc is slightly "odd" in some respect and the game searches for this oddity when it starts up. Playstation games are like that - you need to make a perfect copy of the disc, not of the files.

However, some games, like Half-Life as an example, won't let you copy the disc on most drives, because although the disc only has about 500Mb of files on it (maximum number of megs on a cd is 650, or 640 if you discount the table of contents - this is a 74-minute disc) it has been formatted as if it had over a gig, like Sega's gigadiscs. Still perfectly readable... but your copier software will have kittens. In this case, you need to copy the files, and then go crack-hunting. In Half-Life's case, by the way, the crack in question is the 1.06 patch, which removed the check for the funny format because it didn't work at all on older drives.... smile.gif Too clever for their own good, those people at Valve... literally...!

Mata ne!
    Rob

• Advertisement

Shinji, I love you ( As a man loves a fine cuban cigar )

So for most stuff I need to copy the CD itself not the files and it will work?

El

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Yes. If copying the CD directly works at all, then the game will work. It's only when the devious buggers have designed the CD to be difficult to copy that you have to get devious in return...

What make of drive and software do you have? I'm using Adaptec Easy CD Creator, which despite the naff name is actually rather good. It comes with a wee proggy called CD Copier Deluxe, which does exactly what it says on the tin - makes perfect copies of CDs. It even gets PSX cds right first time, which is impressive...!

Mata ne!
    Rob

Advertisement