Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temperature and Voltages

Options
  • 20-09-2003 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

What Temperature should my P4 2.8c be at idle and under load? I think i have enough fans.. one on cpu, one on the mobo and one on top of the case.

What should the core voltage be? and should it be constant cos mine is flicking between 1.48 and 1.5 every 5 seconds when im in the bios.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

*BUMP*

Anyone?

I was was encoding a film there for about a hour and an half and the temperature had gone up to 70 degrees, it seems to me like its a bit high.

Its a Abit IC-7 G, would the temperature in the bios be reading correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Hey man, thats way way too high. Intels run pretty cool compared to intel. Load temps around 40 degrees is normal NOT 70.

Check to make sure your heatsink is sitting correctly on the cpu (note the position of the lip) . Do you have thermal paste on it??

If you think its the BIOS incorrectly reading, stop the system suddenly (when temps are high) have the side off and touch it to see if its really that hot (heatsink) . Be carefull if its 70 degrees you wont want to leave your hand there too long.

Make sure your voltage in the bios is between 1.5 - 1.6v , anymore and that could also be your problem ........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

First ... you dont have enough fans ... you should try to ensure that cool air passes your processor / heatsink, or at least have cool air being fed into the fan on the heatsink .... I am overclocking from 2.4 to 3.0 and found that I had to add some more fans, see bottom ...

Second ... have a look at forum.abit-usa.com .. you will see that some of the abit IC7-G boards (mine included) will show a (overly) high temp reading ... mine is 37 - 40 idle and playing a good 3d game might drive that up to 55 - 60 ... Abit's response (offical one) is to up the cpu shutdown temp to 90 C in the bios.

Consider changing the heatsink (extra expense I know, but the heatsink / fan that comes with P4 2.4C was crap and would not allow overclocking) .. a new heatsink will make a big difference to your temps (but you still need to supply cool air) .. I have a Zalman 6500AlCu (flower type) and it lowered the temps by 5 - 15 degrees over the intel supplied heatsink ..(I have read that the heatsink / fan supplied with the higher spec processors is quite good in comparison) .....

The Fans:
    Before I start I should state that all the fans in my machine are running in fairly quiet mode (by using the potentiometers that came with them)
    I have one fan on the northbridge, one on the graphics card, one blowing down on my graphics card, the Zalman supplied one is blowing on the heatsink, I have one sucking out the back, 2 in the power supply, one sucking out in the top of the case, one in the side blowing onto the hard drives (they dont need it but cool drives last longer) and one supplying cool air to the zalman fan ... thats 10 fans in total .. all (except the graphics card and northbridge) are very quiet fans (sharkoon from elara, zalman from peats possibly, in all about €70 worth) ... The noise is noticeable in a quiet room but not intrusive, playing a game will cover the noise of the comp even with relatively quiet games ... besides I have a 21 month old daughter roaring around the house and she would cover up the noise made by aircraft (and thats just playing!) .... I dunno about having it in a bedroom, you'd get used to it fairly quick

Im not overclocking it. When i go into bios first the temp is at around 50. The core voltage is between 1.48 and 1.5. On the bottom of the heatsink there was some compound on it, was that not some paste?

Still have to get a fan for the back but there is a fan on the heatsink, another one on the northbridge and on the top of the case sucking out the air. Getting one for the back. Anyone know a good one?

The abit board has the default temp warning at 85 degrees havent touched it. (had it down to 70 for that encoding i did though).I havent got a good gfx for it yet(waiting) Still a GF MX in it:D So no real heat off that yet.

Have I done damage to the processor?

There i no way the Abit could possible misread the temps by that HUGE ammount, were talkin around 25-30 degrees. Either a dodgey thermistor in your mobo or you have the heatsink on wrong.

What are your mobo temps??

When you turn your pc off and leave it until totally cool ( few hours ) , turn it on and go straight away into your BIOS and see your temps. If its reading very high then its almost definetly a faulty reading. If its low then the heatsink is wrongly installed.

Dont think the case cooling would effect it to that extent IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i've the IC7-G

it reports temps about 10 degrees higher than normal

u should be fine

Yea Abit boards tend to do that alrite :) , my Abit NF7-S reports 10 degrees too high aswell.

But that taken into concideration means a load temp of 60 degrees !! On an intel chip thats bad news........

Hmmm when Its usually into the low 50's when i go into the BIOS. So Abits are reading 10 degrees higher, is that a glitch on some boards or is it on every board and is it always reading 10 degrees higher?

Getting some Vantec fans so, the temp should come down a bit.

THe heatsink is securely clamped ( i thought i was going to break the thing) onto the cpu but there was some paste on the underside of the heasink, was that not thermal paste?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

do you mean a little black square? called a TIM ... supposed to only be used for one use ..i.e. if you take of the heatsink you are supposed to change it ....

Originally posted by BigEejit
    do you mean a little black square? called a TIM ... supposed to only be used for one use ..i.e. if you take of the heatsink you are supposed to change it ....

Ya its a greyish square about 1cm2. That should do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Hi,

you have to use a new thermal pad or thermal compound when you remove the stock heatsink. The pad can be used only once. Be sure to clean the area before installing a new one. ;)

The second thing is: The temperatures are pretty normal for a factory intel heatsink.

We have installed four systems last week and during the "burn-in" runs our systems (only 2.6 gig CPU with stock-cooler MSI MoBo) reached 70 degrees.

First I don't wanted to believe it, but we put a small thermometer onto the heatsink and it reports around 65 degrees.

I think it is ridiculous from intel to deliver the cpu with such a crappy heatsink, even the fans are extremely noisy. :mad:

jow

Advertisement