Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Range of waterfords wireless?

Options
  • 21-09-2003 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭

Someone trying to sell my mother a house thats 7 and a half miles outside waterford city is telling her that I can get wireless out there. We wont be moving unless theres a high-bandwidth connection out there,since I'd go mad if I had to endure dial-up in ireland again.. Can anybody tell me what the range is for waterfords wireless network, and what kind of bandwidth and ping I'd get on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by Tellox
    Someone trying to sell my mother a house thats 7 and a half miles outside waterford city is telling her that I can get wireless out there.

Perhaps the salesman means radio stations as in WLRfm. The local Waterford WAN is still a bit patchy in coverage but it is nothing like being on ADSL or even on dial-up at the moment in terms of connectivity. Without knowing the location and the topography (the lie of the land), it would be difficult to say what kind of signal you could get and how you could connect to the nearest Waterford WAN node. You may find better information and more precise answers here: http://waterford.irishwan.org/

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Nuphor

The only bandwidth that I'm aware of powering WaterfordWAN's nodes is a shared 1mbit leased line courtesy of Cybermart. Subscribe to their newslist, and you can ask some of the guys if they can do a test in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

I'm currently doing the connectivity from the node on Tonys hill near dunmore east; 1 1mbit dsl line, soon to be 2 1mbit lines. As I said on the Irishwan forums, tell me where the house is and I can probably tell you what the possibilities are. ;)

I'm near Callahan, and I think I may well have LOS to Tony Powers hill. Is it the mast you can see coming down the back road onto the Dunmore east road?

Guess I'll need someone from Waterford to confirm.

Which particular road would that be? I'm dont know where Callahan is and cant find it on any maps either btw.

• Advertisement

Trying to find a high-res map now. The ones that I've found so far are awful.... I'll keep searching.

Thanks for that, but I'm cut off in it :(

I'm more south-easterly, Ballygunner area (kind of).

Advertisement