Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCU Computer Applications First Years

Options
  • 21-09-2003 2:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

I'm beginning CA in DCU this year, just wanted to see how many other boards nerds are in the same boat.

There was a mention in one of the other DCU fresher threads of a little boards gathering on one of the orientation days next week - should we get together and say hi?

Since we (CA) appear to start at 2pm this Tuesday according to that orientation timetable, what about lunch or something? We can brave that awful cafeteria we've heard so much about... :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jonhate

Man I'm not a fresher going into third year...man..the bar is the way to kick off your orientation but bring id if you havent registered!

:D

I'm also starting, as is phreak. Not sure about who else from boards though. Sionnach is doing a course that kinda overlaps with some CA classes too.

Dunno about everyone else but chances are that I'll end up in the pub on tues...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭malico

Hi

The main canteen isn't that bad. the prices are pretty resonable and the food is of a good standard. The college has 4 places you can get food
    1. The main canteen
    2. The HUB canteen (Accross form the old bar)
    3. Business school canteen (Not sure if student;s can use this one)
    4. Zone one canteen in the basement of the library.

In my experience i prefere zone one. They do a mean burger. I go there every lunch time.

Welcome to DCU. Hope you enjoy it there. I am not a student, I am a member of the Computer Services Department - Staff Support tech, and I will giving the orientation presentations next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Mean burgers are scarey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Andre

Originally posted by phaxx
    should we get together and say hi?
    WHAT SORT OF A FAGGOT ARE YOU
    Originally posted by phaxx
    what about lunch or something?
    what about NO or something YOU LOSER

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Originally posted by Andre
    WHAT SORT OF A FAGGOT ARE YOU
    what about NO or something YOU LOSER

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

What a friendly chap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

If i was you guys i'ld be sving my money for a plane ticket to India because thats the only place you'll get a job from CA in 4 years :)

Things were great when i graduated and got better for a few years.
    My bro graduated 2 years ago from dcu and went to Oz because he couldnt get a job here.
    I couldnt give him one because i wasnt allowed to hire grads.

DCU is great crack though.
    I was in there last month and dont recognize the place at all.
    Where have all the football pitches gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Originally posted by DaithiSurfer

Where have all the football pitches gone?

could be worse, we could be stuck with a cricket pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

I'm doing CA too :D

Speeches were fairly interesting, not too long except for your one on about "dissing" who I found really annoying.

The clubs and societies spokesman was funny though......turf appreciation lol :)

• Advertisement

yeah it was **** today except for the crime stuff! Big shout outs to the mad fúckers who ran over that car - it was gas!

I didn't go to the last lecture cause I wasn't arsed at that stage...just went to the pub - which isn';t too bad I mist say.

Edit: You're probably right there halender :p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Originally posted by utility_

By the way if you want to log onto the comps in the labs the username is "******" and the password is "what?this doesn't work? aww... my bad!"...just if you're ever bored :)

a) Not exactly something you wanna spread around the net. We don't wanna be invaded by Non-CA people who decide they take a liking to our labs
    b) Those passwords will last only until the end of next week. I.e. when all the rest of us have registered.

I'm going into 3rd year. Big fan of it. It suits me anyway...

There's lots of new rules this year alcohol wise. Seems to not only be WIT that's introduced them.

You now need Student ID and Garda ID etc to get into the bar. Can't be drunk on campus etc etc etc. Personally I don't drink alcohol at all but even still I think it's a load of rubbish. It just starts to make things awkard on people. It's bad enough having to take 1ID out. Can you imagine the bouncers checking TWO IDs for everyone during Rag Week for instance. That is if Rag Week is even allowed anymore?!?!

LoL yeh that crime video was great. I especially liked the guy who robbed one tyre off one bike, robbed the body and another tyre off another bike, put them together and then just cycled off :D

How many are in the class anyway? At least 100 I think

I'll check out the labs tomorrow, not much else going to be happening :(

it's a bit late now but does anyone know what the first lecture is tomorrow for cs guys? It's the 10-11 one...I really amn't arsed getting up but I don't want to miss it if its important :/

o nevermind i found out from the trusty dcu site....

it's a load of wánk but I think I have to go into the 11 o clock one! yay

Posting from DCU labs.......I feel so special :p

Hope things get more interesting this afternoon, unimportant boring crap so far :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Nope... Wont get any better for a while...

As far as I remember next week is all about how to use Windows NT etc etc.

Which, by taking a wild guess and noticing you're posting from CA labs, I would assume you can do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

Originally posted by Celtic Tiger
    Posting from DCU labs.......I feel so special :p
    Mise freisin,
    1pm... Better be off to the hub now! ;P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

i'm posting from the CA labs now too.

yesterdays lectures were really boring except for the crime videos. the guy on top of the car going around the roundabout :)

He he! I'm posting from the CSD Offices! :)

Hope the session with CSD was interesting and orientating. Remmebr its available on the N: at N:\Orientation

CSd

• Advertisement

Can't access N: just yet.. us CA students are still guests! Reging tomorrow....

Cool. Well hope everythign goes well for you! Anythgin you need, we're here to help.

CSd

yall going to the disorientation ball tomorrow night?? FS i'm gonna get locked its gonna be great!! Bought 3 tickets for friends and stuff today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Im an old CA head myself. Got out in 97 when the going was good and companies were fighting for our signatures on contracts. Was kind of still around till 2000 as my better half was still there, I was living local and was still heavily involved in coaching one of the teams in there at the time.

The day I started my first job, I was counter offered by 2 seperate companies, and was able to play them all off each other to get the kind of start off money that would be impossible to get these days. I was hardly a model student with brilliant grades either. I practically received an honorary degree for all the lectures I missed due to hangovers etc......

My first 1.5 years in DCU were great. CA2 got bloody hard though and the exams got tough that year. Found CA3 and CA4 much easier. I think CA2 is where they weed out the trash. CA1 was a doddle if you did any kind of work at all. Do your own projects and go to the lectures and you'll have no problems. I wish I'd followed that advice myself, wouldn't have been chewing my nails down to the bone every results day !!!

Join as many clubs and socs as you can by the way. You'll never get an opportunity like that again to experience so many different things. I had achieved success at national level in one or two sports and continued them on when I went to college, when what I should have done was joined the music soc and learned an instrument or joined the fencing or climbing club or something like that. The kind of things you would never do otherwise.

I think you need to join the clubs to get the full college experience.

By the way, the canteen was awful when I was there, truly awful.
    Trouble is theres not much choice around the area.

Good luck lads anyway, I have to say the DCU stamp on my degree opened a lot of doors for me, and one or two companies I have worked with have told me that they took me on because of the reputation DCU CA graduates have. Indeed my girlfriend did AP there and was given the damn good job she has now, because the boss there knew someone who had done AP there and was so impressed that when she came along, getting the job was a formality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭sod

LoL yeh that crime video was great. I especially liked the guy who robbed one tyre off one bike, robbed the body and another tyre off another bike, put them together and then just cycled off :D
    ye gods, they were showing that one when i started CA, 3 years ago! I reckon it was set up.

How many are in the class anyway? At least 100 I think

:eek: 300 when i started 1st year, talk about industry slump

Sitting in labs again on another extra long lunch break :)

They could only fill 150 of the 300 places this year despite the big points drop......I can't imagine being in a class of 300....150 is bad enough. I know no ones name except for the people from my old school :eek: I suppose its only been 3 days but its weird coming from a class of 30 to 150.

Place is great so far though nice facilities:D Although food and travel have already left me broke :mad:

They could only fill 150 of the 300 places this year despite the big points drop......I can't imagine being in a class of 300....150 is bad enough. I know no ones name except for the people from my old school :eek: I suppose its only been 3 days but its weird coming from a class of 30 to 150.

Yeah I've totally noticed that! I'd be seriously depressed if a few of my friends weren't in my course too...everybody seems to be a bit too shy and stuff, maybe the disorientation ball will sort em out :p

Nah there are 9 people from my old school doing CA and another one I know from my area so plenty of familiar faces in class for me.

Its just that are ****loads of unfamiliar faces :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

I've only just stumbled onto this college play board now. Seems as though most of CA are on boards! So far it's been pretty good I thought. Nice fast internet connection too. Not a bad first lecture. In and out in 35 minutes. Looking forward to this maths test on Wednesday now...

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Ro: maaan!
    Looking forward to this maths test on Wednesday now...
    wohoo! can't wait...:rolleyes:

Did I hear someone answer a call during the Maths class? Thought I could hear some girl nattering after a mobile went off... lol

I arrived late for Electronics this morning.. damn 746 crawling through town. Tis a bit embarrasing coming in late.
    Wasn't it funny how one or two late comers actually walked across the lecture room in front of the teacher and in the path of the projector without saying a word last week during orientation?

Advertisement