Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connect two PCs with one cable modem

Options
  • 21-09-2003 5:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi Guys

I just got NTL cable at home. What is the best way to run two PC's from one modem.

Has anyone done that using NTL?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭malico

I have an NTL modem at home which serves as the internet connection in my house. I have it linked to 5 machines in the house, 4 on the wired net, and one (laptop) on WiFi.

I hae it set up liek this
    my Primary server is linux with dual card bridging. It is responsable for mail traffic, firewall, DHCP, central file storage and sharing and the individual user's home directories. It has 2 network cards in it, one(eth0) linked into the cable modem via RJ45, the other(eth1) to a 3com 8 port managed Switch. The network cards on all machines are 3com;s outstanding 3c905C-txm's. ETH1 takes care of all the internal traffic, and is bridged to the ETH0 card for network connectivity.

The switch runs out to the media pc hooked up to the TV downstairs, the wireless accesspoint, the antivirus server, my main workstation and the novell netware 6 server. Wireless acces is controlled using 128-bit WEP and an authorised MAC list.

This is the simplified setup of my net, hope it helps you. If you need any info, PM me and i'll give ya ll the help i can

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Moved to nets / comms

Chief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭irlhost

Thanks malico

That's the simplified setup:D

I have read about link the cable modem into a standard hub or a router. Is this possible and how is it done?

Many thanks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

I have read about link the cable modem into a standard hub or a router. Is this possible and how is it done?

(I am making the assumption that you are reffering to a hardware router)
    Yes, it is possible. It's done by plugging in the cables in the right sockets :)
    You normally configure them through a HTTP interface. They are really easy to use, compared to the alternatives anyways.
    my Primary server is linux with dual card bridging....

Basically, you run a linuxrouter (all the other servers / computers is kinda besided the point).

It's not that hard to setup a linuxrouter. You just need a 486 or better computer with 2 NIC's. Connect the cable modem to one of the nics, and the second nic to the switch/hub.
    Install a linuxdistro on the system. There are quite a number of them made specifically to be routers, IPCop is one (http://www.ipcop.org/cgi-bin/twiki/view/IPCop/WebHome).

All you gotta do to get IPCop running is answer the questions during install. You can use DHCP on the clients. It's not really hard to set this up, just might take a few hours the first time. I can add that IPCop comes with a built in firewall, and is completly free :)

Personally, I use RedHat as my router, but thats only cause I needed it to run as a ShoutCast/TeamSpeak server (and I wanted OpenSSH and FTP access in, but IPCop can do this too).

I'd suggest you use a LinuxRouter if you have an old computer lying around somewhere. If you're gonna buy new stuff, get a hardware router; 3Com OfficeConnect is pretty good.

Advertisement