Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat don't want my money

Options
  • 21-09-2003 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

The level of sheer incompetence in the Irish telecommunications market was confirmed to me over the past week. Because I live out in the sticks, any semblance of broadband is but a distant dream. I can, and have, however, changed my phone provider over to Esat.

On Monday last, an Esat rep. called to the door asking if we would like to change our line rental over to Esat. Unfortunately, I was, er, otherwise occupied, so my wife answered the door. She told him I usually deal with this sort of thing and he told her that I could simply ring Esat and get it done over the phone.

To cut a long story short, I have spent since Tuesday trying to talk to somebody in Esat. I have tried phoning, e-mail and a contact form on the web. It is so frustrating. My chance to be finally free from the rat, and Esat don't seem to be interested in talking to me.

I wonder if I changed over to UTV would Esat be interested?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

This is new. Even when Esat supply ADSL or SDSL over unbundled loops, the voice channel stays with Eircom and so does the line rental. I don't think there are procedures in place for an OLO to buy a line off Eircom, so the only way Esat could do this is to install an entirely new line, either a twisted pair or another delivery mechanism (wireless for example).

However, I think it much more likely that the guy who called to your door was bent down and facing the other way when he was talking to your good wife. Alicia Silverstone in Clueless has more clue than these guys. They're taught how to pressure sell CPS, nothing more. With that in mind, have a bucket of water by the door for next time. Seriously. Shout "GET ORF MOI LAAAAND!!" at them.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by dahamsta
    This is new. Even when Esat supply ADSL or SDSL over unbundled loops, the voice channel stays with Eircom and so does the line rental.

I was quite surprised myself, that is why I was so interested in talking to somebody in Esat.

However, on my numerous calls to Esat "Customer Service", part of the pre-recorded blurb was a message that you can now transfer your line rental to Esat.

I will keep you informed.

Well, this has been mentioned a few times but I wasn't aware that it had actually been implemented. I wonder will they be charging the same as Eircom or will it be cheaper.

What number did you dial Tom?

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Search the Comreg site and you will see that ' single billing 'has been a sort of holy grail for them for a while now. I thought it was supposed to come in at the end of June last.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

So if ESAT are doing direct billing (line rental & calls), then UTV can / will be doing so also soon??

• Advertisement

Strictly speaking, no. UTV is simply an ISP, they handle the traffic after it's been transported onto their local network by Energis. If UTV were to go with single billing (thanks muck), it would have to be done via Energis.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Single billing has nothing to do with flat rate, broadband, LLU, SDSL, ADSL. It simply means that you get one bill rather than two. You simply pay your line rental via the OLO who then pass it on to Eircom minus a cut for themselves.

It is an example of pseudo-competition. Unlike real competition, you actually pay more for the facility to switch your billing to Esat (whether you do or not).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by dahamsta

What number did you dial Tom?

1800 923 222 - Customer care and 1800 923 111, sales and some generic number 1800 924 924.

Also used the form here

Anyway, I got through this morning (after being passed around I don't know how many times) and got talking to a very nice lady from the North. I made it quite clear that I was already a residential customer and wanted to switch my line rental over, she said that was fine and would have somebody in sales call me back this afternoon. She didn't confirm or deny the fact that I could change over my line rental, so we will see when the next muppet calls me back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Off to nets/comms with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

single billing is a consumer issue and not a net/comms one IMO.

bring em back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Its a telecoms consumer issue, not an irelandoffline issue :)

Advertisement