Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sterophonics copying metallica??

Options
  • 21-09-2003 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭

anyone else think that the solo in sterophoincs maybe tomorrow is very like metallicas bleeding me from the load album???

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I'd imagine if Metallica felt it was in anyway similar, Lars Ulrich would be sliding down a firemans pole into his basement and pressing a big red button labeled "The Lawyers".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

ROFL at robbo;
    post of the month mate.
    yeh hed be getting the men in suits to beat the 'phonics within an inch of their lives/money.
    i dont care, theyre both ****e!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Ah, everything is copying something these days, originality is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Originally posted by f®eak_s©enery
    Ah, everything is copying something these days, originality is dead.
    Wrong, these are two examples:
    Opeth
    Arcturus

Name me anything even close to either of these bands in style, and you'll get a medal.

Originally posted by Pugsley
    Wrong, these are two examples: Opeth, Arcturus.
    Name me anything even close to either of these bands in style, and you'll get a medal.

I stated "originality is dead" in a post, pointing squarely at the Stereophonics and you come up with two underground death-metal bands that are most likely on an independant label.
    To be clear, I was making a generalisation involving bands in the same league (in terms of fanbase) as Stereophonics and Metallica. Thats not to say that all popular bands are entirely unoriginal, but the suspects are apperant. And yes, there are original bands out there. Unfortunetly, Stereophonics isn't one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by Robbo
    I'd imagine if Metallica felt it was in anyway similar, Lars Ulrich would be sliding down a firemans pole into his basement and pressing a big red button labeled "The Lawyers".

ROFL :p:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I stated "originality is dead" in a post, pointing squarely at the Stereophonics and you come up with two underground death-metal bands that are most likely on an independant label.
    To be clear, I was making a generalisation involving bands in the same league (in terms of fanbase) as Stereophonics and Metallica. Thats not to say that all popular bands are entirely unoriginal, but the suspects are apperant. And yes, there are original bands out there. Unfortunetly, Stereophonics isn't one of them.

Come on, if you're going to make as broad and as sweeping a statement as "Originality Is Dead" you get what you deserve. That's probably the single most board term you could possibly use, in fact, so its no suprise that you're going to be misunderstood.

But you go and brush off two of the most unique, progressive and farward moving bands in the last 20 years as 'underground death metal'... Not exactly a genre known for its wide variety, is it? A lot of people are obviously not looking for new and interesting things, and perfectly happy to sit wallowing in stagnant music, unable to open their eyes to something new, turn over a rock and experience new wonders.

Anyway, Opeth are a pretty big band nowadays, you really couldn't call them underground at all. Signed to Music For Nations, if you must know. Mikael Akerfeldt is hailed as the greatest guitarist since Clapton by many, and features in a lot of guitarist magazines, and both him and Peter Lindgren (Also Opeth) sponcered by Paul Reed Smith guitars. You might have heard of some other people sponcered by PRS, maybe you heard of a little know guitarist by the name of Carlos Santana?

Pop music like the steriophonics are never going to be original, because they're there to sell records, not to make art.

But, sorry if this reply is a little sarcastic and condescending.

Come on, if you're going to make as broad and as sweeping a statement as "Originality Is Dead" you get what you deserve. That's probably the single most board term you could possibly use, in fact, so its no suprise that you're going to be misunderstood.

Yup, it is broad, I acknoledge. I treated it casually - hoping that that aspect get a across towards Stereophonics-like bands.
    But you go and brush off two of the most unique, progressive and farward moving bands in the last 20 years as 'underground death metal'...

Just because I "label" them, doesn't mean I'm brushing them off in a bad way, I brushed them off because the reply didn't get across towards Stereophonics-like bands. They probably are unique, progressive and "foward" like you said, I'm just not fond of the style that is death-metal, I find it difficult to listen to.

They probably are unique, progressive and "foward" like you said, I'm just not fond of the style that is death-metal, I find it difficult to listen to.

Ah, but you're still brushing them off. You've never even heard of them, and you've still got the idea that they're Death Metal? I find this is a very common attitude when it comes to people, they'd rather think of something they've not heard of before as "Death Metal Crap"... I get it all the time myself, people just assume that if its something they've not heard of, then its obviously Said crap. Would you beleive I listen to very little death metal at all?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    Ah, but you're still brushing them off. You've never even heard of them, and you've still got the idea that they're Death Metal? I find this is a very common attitude when it comes to people, they'd rather think of something they've not heard of before as "Death Metal Crap"... I get it all the time myself, people just assume that if its something they've not heard of, then its obviously Said crap. Would you beleive I listen to very little death metal at all?
    Nile, Decapitated and Vader are the only ones that come to mind...

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

A friend of mine who saw me at the Metallica Concert told me I should check out some of Opeth's music.

I was pretty stunned when I heard it. I loved it!! I wouldn't call myself a Metal fan or anything. I like music whether it's classical, rock, retro etc etc. I do listen to very little pop though but Opeth really stunned me. Listening to the Drapery Falls, Bleak etc etc made me remember why I Loved music so much.

Opeth are quite simply amazing imho! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭af666x

Halenger has been trying to get me to listen to them. I'm not a big fan of death metal (And no I won't listen to any objections about this because it is my OPINION, not a screaming declaration that death metal is crap).

I have listened to various bands and found them all to be too similar to bother with the rest of them, I'm sure the same might have happened to f®eak_s©enery, so don't blame us, blame the countless "crap death metal bands" that are out there.

Thank me for my time.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Hmmm... Ah well. At least I tried.

I find it hard to call them Death Metal a lot of the time though.

I think they seems to vary quite a lot throughout their songs. One second it's quiet then there's a lull and then it's blaring heavily!! Hehe... I Love it though.

In all fairness, a deaf chimpanzee would be hard pressed to call them Death Metal! Granted, they do have some rather heavy parts, but nobody could ever make any comparison between Opeth and say, Cannibal Corpse, or Carcass... Musically or Lyrically.

In fact, listening to their early stuff, I'd sooner make a comparison with Iron maiden's more progressive stuff.

Advertisement