Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voadafone RTG unlock policy?

• 21-09-2003 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭

Does any one know their policy on providing unlocking codes for RTG phones. It is no longer in their T&C's.

Do they still provide them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

They will provide it to you once you have topped up your account by €127 euro since you got the handset or since your last NAC code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    They will provide it to you once you have topped up your account by €127 euro since you got the handset or since your last NAC code.

Ok
    Sent them a letter to leopardstown requesting it almost 2 weeks ago and nothing back yet. Is this normal?

Leopardstown isnt the correct procedure.

Call 1850 208787 if you are RTG and ask them for it, the will take whatever details of you and someone will call you back in the next few days.

Leopardstown isnt the correct procedure.

Call 1850 208787 if you are RTG and ask them for it, the will take whatever details of you and someone will call you back in the next few days.

The last time I got a code they would only deal in writing. I guess that leopardstown will have to acknowledge my letter anyway?

Well no, very few letters from customers go to Leopardtown so I dont know what will happen. Regardless of that, you would be quicker calling them anyway and they will call you back. All admin work is done in Dundalk, as 75% of their customer care dept is based there.

They used to take requests in writing but recently changed this. They will now call you, give you the code and the unlocking procedure.

• Advertisement

Well no, very few letters from customers go to Leopardtown so I dont know what will happen. Regardless of that, you would be quicker calling them anyway and they will call you back. All admin work is done in Dundalk, as 75% of their customer care dept is based there.

They used to take requests in writing but recently changed this. They will now call you, give you the code and the unlocking procedure.

Thanks Jesus

Do you get 500 questions like "Why do you want the code?" etc?

James

yeah you will to a certain extent. just say you want it as you are going overseas for a few weeks.... Dont mention O2 or Meteor as you will be there all day :rolleyes:

yeah you will to a certain extent. just say you want it as you are going overseas for a few weeks.... Dont mention O2 or Meteor as you will be there all day :rolleyes:

Rang them up and gave them your line about going oveeseas and he verified my details, gave hime the IMEI number and in a minute I was given the unlock code.

Thanks for your help Jesus

James

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

what type phone is it??, some nokias can be unlocked online, others can be unlocked with a cable, there very cheap off ebay, and handy to have,
    ie

convert
    3310 to 3315
    3330 to 3350
    8210 to 8850
    6210 to 6250

ect
    ect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

The one and only time I ever got one of their phones unlocked, I wrote to them and never got a reply or an acknowledgement. At the end it didn't matter because it was one of the early Nokia 3310s that you could unlock without a cable.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Lukin Black
    The one and only time I ever got one of their phones unlocked, I wrote to them and never got a reply or an acknowledgement. At the end it didn't matter because it was one of the early Nokia 3310s that you could unlock without a cable.

They recieve a couple of thousand letters every week. Probably got lost on that way, An Post being deadly and all.

I'll rephrase that:

The one and only time I ever got one of their phones unlocked, I wrote to them three times and never got a reply or an acknowledgement.

As an aside, Digifone, as they were at the time, were brilliant about doing it. They tried phoning me, but I was in the North at the time (in the auld days before roaming for Speakeasy was allowed), and they sent out a letter of apology after two weeks with the code, saying sorry profusely for how long it took.

I'll rephrase that:

The one and only time I ever got one of their phones unlocked, I wrote to them three times and never got a reply or an acknowledgement.

As an aside, Digifone, as they were at the time, were brilliant about doing it. They tried phoning me, but I was in the North at the time (in the auld days before roaming for Speakeasy was allowed), and they sent out a letter of apology after two weeks with the code, saying sorry profusely for how long it took.

Well thats a whole lot different from what you originally said isn't it... I cant explain why you didnt get replied to on three occassions, sounds very strange to be honest.

Never even thought about it til your reply, sorry. It was in 2001 sometime, I think. It wasn't too long after the 3310s came out, as I was saying, it was one you can unlock without a cable.

I just thought they didn't care to be honest, and probably didn't want to lose another customer, which didn't work because I changed to Digifone anyhow. Mind you I'm back with them again, anyhow, I know it's small, but it really bugs me that you can't change the length of time your phone will ring before going into voicemail with Digifone/O2, or even turn it off. That and a couple of my mates went on to Eircell, so was cheaper for me.

Never even thought about it til your reply, sorry. It was in 2001 sometime, I think. It wasn't too long after the 3310s came out, as I was saying, it was one you can unlock without a cable.

I just thought they didn't care to be honest, and probably didn't want to lose another customer, which didn't work because I changed to Digifone anyhow. Mind you I'm back with them again, anyhow, I know it's small, but it really bugs me that you can't change the length of time your phone will ring before going into voicemail with Digifone/O2, or even turn it off. That and a couple of my mates went on to Eircell, so was cheaper for me.

The thing is, the letters come through to a group of 20 women who are just given the bag of letters by the An Post directly and they just go through them all... The letters are then scanned in to keep as records... So my point, the people wouldnt have that much of a vested interest to ignore letters on the basis that they are going to loose a customer, they are just your average joe soap like. And if there was orders coming from above telling them to "loose" these letters, I am sure it would have been leaked to the media along time ago..

I am sure there is a simpler explanation for it, dont know what though.

I am sure there is a simpler explanation for it, dont know what though.

I have bad handwriting? :D

I think I typed them, I usually do. My handwriting's gone downhill since I started on computers.

To be honest I don't trust letters. I've worked in a few offices, and would believe that the bosca bruscar gets quite a bit. If I can't get it done over the phone or in person, I don't like it. Got the thing sorted after all, otherwise I'd have been phoning them. Anytime I've dealt with them on the phone, I've always found them grand. Better than Digifone's ones, well at least the ones that were in 2001.

I have bad handwriting? :D

I think I typed them, I usually do. My handwriting's gone downhill since I started on computers.

I feel your pain.

Advertisement