Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VCR repair help..

Options
  • 21-09-2003 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

VCR: Salora SY601
    Product Code: 04146

Have been using the above for 4 yrs. Now, it doesnt seem to be getting power - although the back of the unit near the power supply connection is warm.

I know this is a long shot but any troubleshooting suggestions before i bin it. Is it really worth dropping it in somewhere for repair seeing as the labour on repair is probably going to be the best part of a new one..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

THe internal fuse may be gone.... drop it in to be repaired.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Is this something i dare mess with myself?

If i go and open the box, what would indicate that its gone..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭MartinHSabag

it sounds like the internal fuse (if it has any) or the power supply (again internaly).
    The only way to know if it's the internal fuse is by locating it (visually or shematics) and then testing it with a DVM (Digital Volt Meter) or trying to replace it.
    If it's something with the power supply - don't mess with it unless you know what you r doing as there is hight voltage there.

Anyway, don't plug the VCR to the outlet when cover is removed.

i had a look under the hood. I couldnt find a fuse as such but theres an area which is part of the power supply unit thats covered over - its got a slight burning odour from it - but its damn akward to get out from what i can see.

could really do with this manual but i cant justify paying €15 for it given the market value of the vcr and furthermore, i would have to wait for it to be sent on by post.

Would anyone have this service manual (Salora 04146) and if so, any chance you could either fax me the relevant page or email it?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hmm, if there was a burning smell, it may not be just a fuse gone. Could be capacitor or similar. You should take it into local repair shop, stating not to repair if cost will exceed X amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Is there any sign of life at all ? In the power supply is there a large IC with the prefix STK or STX, it may be bolted to a heatsink near the trafo its about 1.75" wide by 1" high and will have about 12 to 15 pins going into the PCB.

I may be able to advise if you can give me more info.

The warmth you are feeling (!!) may just be the mains trafo and is normal as is a mild smell of "burning". The IC i mentioned above is a power regulator and often suffers from dry/bad solder joints on it's pins.

Tinky

it may be bolted to a heatsink near the trafo its about 1.75" wide by 1" high and will have about 12 to 15 pins going into the PCB.

Tinky,

As per photo here
    i think the area your talking about is the one i have marked with a blue rectangle. The metal cover comes away without any problem, under this is another metal casing, the top of which is stuck to two strips of rubber - which are in turn attached to another inner casing. Inside all of this lies a row of pins as described...

Your link to the photo doesn't work I'm afraid can ou email it to me?

Tinky

Apologies, link should be ok now

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

HTTP1.1 STATUS 403 Remote Access to this object forbidden This file cannot be directly accessed from a remote site, but must be linked through the Brinkster Member's site.

• Advertisement

damn brinkster..

ok, hopefully this should be it here

MMMM looks like a newer model than I was expecting. Probably has a Switched Mode PSU.

Are you any use with a multimeter ? If so, check for any voltage anywhere with the Black lead on any exposed metal part. Can you provide answers to the questions in my original post with regard signs of life. There are CP (circuit portectors) at various places on the main board - could be that one of these has opened.

The test above is to asertain wheather or not the powersupply is running.

Tinky

Have a better pic here showing the lines of pins which i think you were refering to in your earlier post?

I havnt managed to get my hands on a multimeter and probably stupidly used a circuit tester to check and see if there was power at the pins - checked the first one - clearly there was cos i blew a fuse in the fuse box:rolleyes:

will get a multimeter hopefully tomorrow...

Quote:
    I havnt managed to get my hands on a multimeter and probably stupidly used a circuit tester to check and see if there was power at the pins - checked the first one - clearly there was cos i blew a fuse in the fuse box.
    Ooops ! Maybe this isn't such a good idea. I think any TV engineer worth his salt could probably fix this in less than an hour - 45 yoyos. I wouldn't like to be responsible for you blowing up your house. It sounds like a PSU problem to me. Maybe a circuit protector on the power supply boards main output. Switched modes are not something to be messed with, they have a fiery temper and will go boom at the slightest provocation !!!
    Unfortunately the pictures your taking aren't really clear enough to make any sense of.

Much as I would like to help I think this thread could go on for weeks with the checks required to isolate a fault.

Sorry !

Tinky

Ooops ! Maybe this isn't such a good idea. ...Switched modes are not something to be messed with, they have a fiery temper and will go boom at the slightest provocation !!!

Thanks for the help Tinky. I had more or less come to the same conclusion. Wasnt really about saving the couple of yoyo that it will take to fix it..just wanted to have a go at fixing it rather than just dumping it off for repair.

Advertisement