Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Dog has eaten some cables

Options
  • 21-09-2003 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭

Took my son and the mutt out this morning, to a lake / beach 2 mins drive away. When I let the dog out of the boot I noticed he had eaten some cables. After much swearing and a good kick up the arse (for the dog) I did a quick check, and a full one when I got home. All lights are working okay. The cables run along the piece connecting the boot to the car and run into the boot. I think they may just be there for other models which have the reg plate lights above the reg plate. Mine is on the bumper, below the plate. The car is a 00 Opel Astra saloon.

Anybody any ideas what the wires could be for?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Do you have a toe hitch? Even if you dont its possible the cables are for the hitch's electrics and are built into the wiring loom as standard or maybe they were put in by a previous owner....if there are for a hitch they would proberly dissapear under car car through a gromet in the wheel well.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Good to see you're concerned about your dog...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

The dog would be fine - if its stupid enough to eat wire its not really smart enough to live is it? I mean he could have eaten a kids leg off just as easily

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The cables run along the piece connecting the boot to the car and run into the boot.

When you say "boot" are you talking about the boot lid? I suspect you are. Yeah, the number plate light theory sounds possible. One other thing I've thought of - does the car have central locking? Perhaps the cable has something to do with the locking of the boot.

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

BrianD3, yep had only posted when I realised it should read boot lid. That's a good idea about the central locking, I'll check it at lunch time. Its no big deal to repair the bit of damage but wondering whether I need bother or to just tidy it up.

And for all concerned, the dog is doing fine, the flea ridden git:D

(off to buy a muzzle later aswell, before he decides to chew up something important in the boot, like my footie boots!) Thanks for the replies guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

arrrrgh, bugger it. Yes it does power the central locking for the boot. So here's another question, anybody know of a good reason why I shouldn't just get some wire and reconnect the few wires up again! Will it blow all the fuses if I get it wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

Should be colour coded, just dont cross anyting when repairing it, maybe there is enough spare lead to use some terminal blocks to patch it together. If you want to pull out the fuse for the central locking while doing it.

Advertisement