Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WAP to WAP connection?

• 21-09-2003 11:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭

I posted this in the Wireless/Phones forum and it got all of 9 views and no replies :rolleyes:

Using Wireless Access Points inside the home
    I was bored today and so started looking in ebay for this and that and noticed that there is a new 802.11a wireless access point the same as my own for $9.99 plus about $25 for p&p I rerckon, with two days to go (been there 4 days already I reckon) ... a very low price says I ... pity I already have one ... but then I thought, dont people use these for bridging large gaps between seperate buildings networks (albeit with a large external aerial) ..

So .. my question is, can I connect a new wireless access point to a PC upstairs and get it to act like a wireless adapter? i.e. acting like a pccard in a laptop, when in fact its connected by a network cable to a desktop.....the original one must still connect to a pccard in a laptop

The manufacturers website says nothing, the manual says nothing, google didnt throw up anything of use ... all I know is that this would be significantly cheaper than a new pci adapter.... even including a nic for the desktop.....

I had a good long hard look at the setup on my existing one and I am none the wiser ....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

does it include a switch(hub) at all ?

it "should" work, depending on if the two access points will talk to each other, which there is no reason why it won't. I assume the one u were looking at does at least have one ethernet port to connect to a computer ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

The WAP I was looking at is a HE102 (802.11a) and it does indeed have a 100Mb connection on the back ... the one I have now is connected to my DSL router .... I suppose the only way of checking if it will work is to suck it and see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Some Access Points can be configured to run as a normal Wirless NIC, I worked with some D-Link stuff that done this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Well, I sent an email to netgear tech support and I was told NO ... you cant get to HE102's to talk to each other ... ho hum ...

Advertisement