Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Com Sci - Final Year Project Advice...and future life

Options
  • 22-09-2003 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭

I am now starting my final year... But have to decide on what I want to do for my project...

Option 1 – 3D Virtual Environment of a Campus
    I am really like this area and Computer Gaming... more interesting than the normal 'database' project
    Problems: not likely to get a job in this area in the North of Ireland – unless I go and do another course maybe in architecture …CAD etc and head for that route

Option 2 – Database/Web Project (Online Shop etc..)
    During my placement year last year - I did alot of work around databases..
    Problems: Everyone will be doing a similar one, but more likely to get a job in this area

I am will be doing modules both in Computer Games and databases....

Should I be using this project as base for my career path?
    Any advice welcome…thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭skipn_easy

While your project might be quite important when it comes to getting your first job I would definitely do the project you're more interested in - the virtual campus one. I've met enough people who have done things because there would be a better chance of getting a job and they always regretted it.
    Besides if you're not really interested in databases would you really like to work in that area? or would you prefer to take a crappier job for a while until you find something you're really passionate about?
    When it comes to the interview as well, it will come across much better if you can talk enthused and passionate about your project ...

In short, do what you want to do, not what you should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

To be honest both have been done to death.. I dont the shop one for my Diploma project for a start... An the virtual campus thing as been done before...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

A different way of using a database would be to implement some sort of online banking system and really go mad with the security side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

Here's a list of the project proposals for 4th year CS in ucd, it might give you some ideas, it might not. You can also look at past years, perhaps download their code and reports and get caught plagiarizing and go to hell for it :P

http://www.cs.ucd.ie/courses/undergrad/bsc/FourthYear/Default.htm

I got N-Bodies on a heterogeneous network, woohoo!!

I don't know what kind of course they teach wherever it is you are, but you can probably tell that there's a lot of academic stuff in ucd, most of the proposals cover areas that are being researched by the mentor. Actually that list is probably no good at all without the mentor there who is willing to guide you ... ah well, I tried!

I think it's more impressive to get your teeth into an area of research than to produce a version of the 10 online shops that will be created in any given year. That said, there are some original web type projects in there too. (well, I'm sure it's all been done before, but I doubt anyone else in your year will think of doing a web-based recommender system for restaurants, which I think is trendy-cool ...).

rob

p.s. none of us are going to get jobs, so don't worry about any of that lark!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I'm making a traffic simulation tool for my final year project. At least I think I am.

It's going to involve creating an accurate 2D representation of the blanchardstown area with the blanchardstown roundabout being the main point.

By continuously adding car's and trucks, see the way in which traffic densitys affect traffic flow. I was told that I would never be able to get a near accurate result without research.

Such as, different driver behavioural patterns, stopping distances, different accelerations for different types of vehicles and drivers. probably wouldn't be able to introduce gradient either due to the 2D nature.

Well it is only a simulator :)

Slaan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Slaanesh
    By continuously adding car's and trucks, see the way in which traffic densitys affect traffic flow. I was told that I would never be able to get a near accurate result without research.
    I suppose you could always stand on the roundabout with a little notebook before sitting at your machine.

I quite enjoy watching the little cars go around the Parkway roundabout in Limerick myself (though I park at the shopping centre). Quite relaxing.

Advertisement