Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irismagazine.net | version 2.0 | october 9th

Options
  • 22-09-2003 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭

Just to confuse the naming issue even further we're having a bit of a re-launch (not pre-launch) gig in the TBMC on Thursday 9th October.

Exact details about improvements to the site are sketchy... (competition makes me paranoid;) )... but there will be many.

Line-up as follows-

Berkeley
    The Voyeurs
    the 66 electric
    Random
    Carnival

Juno Falls
    Bill Coleman
    Singleton
    the guggenheim grotto

IRIS Djs + Visuals
    (sorry, no celebs... they always get too pissed and can't play;) )

Adm - 8 euro | 6 euro students

Doors - 8pm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Damon_Kind

Swizzle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭spoiltbrat

Its the shizzle dizzle line-up fizzle isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭rueyn

Here's wishing I had a private jet plane to bring me over to Dublin town!!

-angela.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Fun for all the family, except your parents. Grandparents would have a right larf though.

OAPs get in for 6 euro... just like their student counterparts.

Jesus, I sound desperate!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Wow , who'd have thought the free magazine market would be so competitive ......best of luck to both outfits! All the better for bands and for the scene in general , and will probably ensure the quality of each remains high. Fair play to all concerned and here's hoping there's enough quality on the stages for many more years to come to write about........after all if there wasnt a scene there wouldnt be people writing about it eh???;)

Oh I forgot to say

Hotpress "HA HA"

I hope people get behind the real mags representing real irish music.

T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

Originally posted by Trev M
    Oh I forgot to say

Hotpress "HA HA"

I hope people get behind the real mags representing real irish music.

T

Ooh...controversial! :D

I dunno, as long as Hot Press can put Westlife on the cover and sell just as many and more copies, you gotta wonder what the story is in this country.

I heard a couple of people, from bands we all know, saying they only buy it to see if they're in it! Which is true because the only time I ever bought it was when my former band were in it.

As far as I know they sell under 20,000 copies, which isn't really that much when you think of the size of the country.... maybe.

I was at a Hot Press party in the TBMC recently and messy wouldn't be an appropriate adjective to decribe the debauchery on display. Them being hammered drunken slags kinda made me not hate them so much... and as a result I kinda hated myself for that.... one of my guilty pleasures wiped out. :(

Hey there ,
    Im not sure what all that means Spoilt Brat, HotPress and its minions are evil full stop ;-). Im suggesting that if IRIS and ISH develop enough and get a wide enough appeal and manage not to alienate the “grass roots” so to speak they will capture significant amounts of the Hotpress market share….like you say bands reading it to see if they are in it and all the rest…… people won’t care about hotpress if they know IRIS is more reputable and is closer to the bands target audience ….which I suspect is or will be ?
    From what I’ve read on IRIS, I would be very supportive and encouraged by it as a positive thing for Irish music….ISH at this point is an unknown quantity and people are talking it up based on first peeks of draft copies so that’s cool, it remains to be seen if it will be consistently high quality, covering enough high quality, if you get me….is there enough to go around??. Gigsmart is constantly challenged to keep a high level of acts gigging , its not easy nor should it be. Anyway, basically Im saying the market is there for the taking….as Hotpress have been asleep at the wheel for too long and have responded to its market not by listening to it, but by alienating large portions of it.

I wonder how many people who are actively involved in the music scene at the unsigned level….”those with a chip on our shoulder” actually give a rats as what HotPress think? Not many I suspect, having said that most are grateful for the scraps of coverage they give the upcoming scene.
    Blah de blah Im waffling on here ….best of luck IRIS and ISH!

• Advertisement

Yeah I know what you mean... thats why I hated myself for my weakness. I think it was nice to see that they're not that different than the rest of us... except a good bit older.

Not everyone in Hot Press sucks though - Eamon Sweeney being a notable exception, but I guess he is free-lance.

Ah Paddy, nothing better than watching that TV3 night music thing and seeing your big mush suckin face in glorious technicolour.

Never looked at you that way, until now...

Originally posted by Damon_Kind

Never looked at you that way, until now...

You always looked at me that way... and to be honest it freaked the funk out of me... until I got to know you - now its still freaky but its part of who you are and I can accept that.

Al for police commisioner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭nonemoreblack

Thats it you're nicked!

Actually I never was and never will be a copper.
    Evil rumours all of it.

Originally posted by nonemoreblack

Actually I never was and never will be a copper.
    Evil rumours all of it.

Next you'll be telling us that killing that guy wasn't the reason you left!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭der

hello nonemoreblack. this is cleetus, al the murdering copper drummer's long lost 8 year old love child. i'll be at your gig. see you then.

love cleetus macswinny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭nonemoreblack

Damn I thought I'd escaped the alimony payments!

The cheques in the post....

i can't believe i actually clicked on both those links.

www.whatagullible****e.com

iris night looks like a nice line up.
    me thinks berkeley, 666666e, bill, and the gg's are all great .

• Advertisement

Originally posted by der
    i can't believe i actually clicked on both those links.

www.whatagullible****e.com

www.totalretard.com

Der, I hope you're going to be throwing some shapes around that dance floor on Thursday? Better be careful about Al though - methinks I'll leave "Murder on the Dancefloor - (Copper/Drummer Remix)" out of my set that night.;)

will be in early i hope but (ahem very cheeky plug ahoy) me and my newly named band ellison 9 are playing in the spiegeltent later that night so i won't be able to hang around long enough to get meself killed - although you never know with that iris lot.

hey if your about spoiltbrat , come along to the hub - fri 3rd - n check out me and me band in all it's brand new electric guitariness.

Originally posted by der
    i won't be able to hang around long enough to get meself killed - although you never know with that iris lot.

Der, when have I ever been involved in you getting into an alcoholic heap?;)

Win one of five pairs of tickets to the gig on Thursday 9th October.

Just follow this link...

www.irismagazine.net/iris/version_2

Can I trade those in for airfare? ;)

-angela.

Only if you win all 5!

Sorry you can' t be here....
    maybe we'll do an iris gig in the states
    idea copyright 2003 irismagazine.net;)

I'd be there! There are a lot of solid Irish artists here, too, you know :D

-angela.

We'll get Ricer and Geary, y'know all our best mates over there like?

Seriously if you're into the idea I am, could be an interesting project - mail me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 perkythepig

Originally posted by spoiltbrat
    We'll get Ricer and Geary, y'know all our best mates over there like?

Seriously if you're into the idea I am, could be an interesting project - mail me.

Yeah Paddy - we're all well up for that - but only if you'll spring for the airfares and the room service and the groupies.

:D

And the beer. Beeeeeeerrrrrr...

• Advertisement

If you're the guy in your link, have a look at your email...I sent ye something. :)

And Spoilt would never pay for our airfare...I already tried to get him to get me a ticket for the show tonight, but the groupies? I think we can safely say that chicks dig guys with guitars, so no worries there ;)

-angela.

Advertisement