Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I re-did my site again, >>

Options
  • 22-09-2003 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

Ok i re did my site and i would like to show you all again ;)

http://www.davidstokes.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

It took a long long time to load for something that seemed basic enough. Site is ok otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Still Looks the same :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

You don't get far without flash

.cg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You don't get far without flash
    how did you work that out - are you referring to NeVer or designers in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The music seems a little unnecessary on such a static site.
    I can't see why you used Flash... There's nothing in there that merits it as far as I can see

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

music is headwrecking to say the least - dump it.
    with your templates - if you are doing a flash site, might they look better if they were part of the flash presentation? Furthermore change the links in the HTML template#1 to go to # so they don't open up a 404.
    HTML template #4 is a flash template.
    the link on the portfolio >> Logos back to templates doesn't work correctly nor does going from flash back to templates or graphics back to templates. The link in the templates page back to the templates page dioesn't work either (Im giving up checking them now - you check the rest!)
    In your contact 'page' make your email address a link or even better provide a proper form.
    After a while looking at it none of the links would open - may need to change server again!
    My opinion would be do do out a HTML site and offer viewers the opportunity to see your flash skills if they want. It will give you better search engine rankings also. On that note I would suggest that you redifine your meta tags:- (what have 'up', 've' or 'rectangle' got to do with your design business?)
    <meta name="author" content="SWiSH v2.0">
    <meta name="copyright" content="SWiSH v2.0">
    <meta name="keywords" content="110, aim, car1, car2, com, compnay, contact, copy, davewhf, david, davidstokes, davidstokes5000, design, detailplus, doing, down, dreamweaver, dublin, each, etc, fasttrack, flash, for, give, graphic, graphics, hit, home, hostig6, ht1hhyty, ht2, ht3, ht8, image2, in, index, ireland, is, jpg, line, logos, magic, mail, my, name, over, paintshop, photoshop, portfilo, pro, receive, rectangle, rectangle1, rectangle2, rectangle3, rectangle4, rectangle5, scene, skilled, state, stokes, task, tempest2, template, templates, up, ve, web, wfh, xb2, yahoo, years">

A spider would not get much food on that site - there's little or no content for them to grab.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

As somone already said it took a long time to load for something so basic.

<simon cowell>
    I hate to say it but the templates / logos in your portfolio were cheesy and the flash was kinda redundant.

Are you learning anything else in the course, e.g., backend, sql, etc? I don't think design is your strong point.
    </simon cowell>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

oh my god, what a simply annoying website

there is such a thing as using something well and then there is such a thing as using it badly - and I am afraid this is a site using flash badly

apart from the really annoying music (i dont care if there is an off/on switch at the bottom right, what gets me is the pointless navigation

for example

portfolio -> templates -> list of templates - > select one - POP UP WINDOW OF DOOM!!!!!

sorry to be harsh but this site is

a) very plain
    b) infuiriating to us
    c) like blacknight said a search engine will get nothing from the site at all
    d) the bad use of layers in the logos section of your portfolio (its a complete mess)
    e) on a dial up connection i can see this being a headache of a site to use
    f) and when i am in logos, and click templates - a logo appears (WHF logo incidently)- looks like your linking is a tad screwy. in fact upn further testing when i click a portfolio option (logos, flash, graphics) and then try and click templates, well I could point out the countless errors, but I will leave that to you
    g) click on hom link - why does the blue bar under the navigation re-draw itself?
    h) home/about me page - is very bloody sparse

and that was me messing on the site in 5 minutes

back to the drawing board i think

*EDIT*

I tested the site at home on my dial up, through eircom - over 100 seconds waiting for it to load and it still hasnt appeared, now going on 2 minutes wait time - this shows what an appaling mess this flash site truely is

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Fergal C

I'd agree with everyone else about the music, makes me want to leave the site.

The actual content of your home page could be improved. Try to think of it from your customers' point of view. What do they want from your services. Is the wording enough to convince them that you can deliver what they want?

Like your own site the templates are slow to open. The fact that your sites are slow to download may make potential customers not want to use you.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Originally posted by kbannon
    how did you work that out - are you referring to NeVer or designers in general?

What I meant was you can't get into the site if you don't have flash installed/enabled.

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

What is the point in using Flash when you so abviously dont need too... I thought people had got past this whole thing of using new technologies for the sake of it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

I think I can summarise alot of the problems people have with the site by drwaing their attention to:
    </head>
    <!-- Created by SWiSH - Flash made easy - only $49.95 - [url]www.swishzone.com[/url] -->
    <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF">

While Swish technically produces swf files its really not Flash in fairness or near to it. The compression rate on the file would be greatly reduced if done in Flash in my experience.

Might want to consider using something other than Swish if your site is going to be exclusively developed in Flash :)

Advertisement