Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

farming?

Options
  • 22-09-2003 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

I just have some questions about farming? Is there a farming section (i have not noticed it) and is there some farmers I could ask some questions to ?
    Cheers,
    BGDK

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

What do you want to know?
    I'm sure I'm not the only one from a farming background

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭BigDaddyKone

new career, what do they call it - when the yuppies move out to the countryside ?
    I am interested in aspects of it and how to find out more about practical issues - such as loans, land leasing so on... . Also I am a through and through city boy so I would really like to talk to someone about the general issues concerning this lifestyle/career

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

Originally posted by BigDaddyKone
    new career, what do they call it - when the yuppies move out to the countryside ?
    I am interested in aspects of it and how to find out more about practical issues - such as loans, land leasing so on... . Also I am a through and through city boy so I would really like to talk to someone about the general issues concerning this lifestyle/career

http://www.teagasc.ie/
    This site should give you a lot of the information you're looking for contact your local office for more advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 AMurph1979

What exactly is the plan, to become a farmer or a commercially viable farmer ? If the plan is to live in the countryside and have a few hobby acres that is pretty straight forward. But to start out from scratch and set up a commercially viable farm that is another story. However there are farming partnerships which are used by medium sized farmers to expand in order to secure their commercial viability. As a basic example 1 farmer may have 100 acres, a modern parlour and housing facilities, a neighbouring farmer may have 150 acres with poor facilities. The sum of the 2 parts are greater than the 2 individual parts.

What sort of farming are you interested in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

AMurph1979 wrote: »
    What exactly is the plan, to become a farmer or a commercially viable farmer ? If the plan is to live in the countryside and have a few hobby acres that is pretty straight forward. But to start out from scratch and set up a commercially viable farm that is another story. However there are farming partnerships which are used by medium sized farmers to expand in order to secure their commercial viability. As a basic example 1 farmer may have 100 acres, a modern parlour and housing facilities, a neighbouring farmer may have 150 acres with poor facilities. The sum of the 2 parts are greater than the 2 individual parts.

What sort of farming are you interested in ?
    I'd hazard a guess that somewhere within the past nine years BigDaddyKone has found most, if not all, of the answers he was looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Indeed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement