Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Special announced!

Options
  • 22-09-2003 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭

From the UTV Support newsgroup:

"The offer that's being launched for the south is:

Joining fee: 0
    Monthly sub: 47.50
    Freebies: Modem, connection and 1st month

... also the DL limit has been raised to 8Gb."

Hi Ho, Hi Ho......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Nice to see the cap moving in the right direction. Sounds like thats as much as they can do under the contraints of the product that they're reselling..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by Valentia
    Hi Ho, Hi Ho......

Indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Quick question if I may (and apologies if it's been covered before) :)

I tried checking my line for broadband on IOL, eircom's and (today) UTV's "availability checker" - all 3 say that my line is not ready for broadband, BUT before I switched to UTVip XL it DID pass both eircom and IOLs tests?? Is it now failing because this info is sourced from eircom, and I've "left" them for UTV?

If so, is this not unfair/discriminatory, not to mention poor business sense if I CAN indeed have the service but their system thinks I can't?

Thanks in advance all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭skrobe

very good.......................... but i still won't go for any product over 40euro a month, like the morjority of peps. Ireland might see another 3,000 or so customers but no where near the 100,000 eircoms bankers are looking for. Surley they can see this , their go'in have to drop the monthly price sometime, why not now??. Or maybe it'll take ibb's ripwave to come on stream to push them, when they finish testing it in the year 2012
    :(
    j

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

"... also the DL limit has been raised to 8Gb."

Does the 8Gb apply to existing users as well as new users?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Might as well add to the melee: Is UTV USB only? I have a small network in here, I don't want to be p1ssing around with USB modems.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by skrobe
    very good.......................... but i still won't go for any product over 40euro a month, like the morjority of peps.

Well put Skrobe. I think most people will see through this.

What is neded now is an announcement of a cut in the wholesale price to around €20 a month ex vat. That would translate into €39.99 products form a variety of carriers which would nudge connections upwards.

I personally feel that Eircom have missed the boat on the target of 100k DSL users by end 2004. They could surprise us all in the middle of next month if they realise that their €54.50 a month DSL is not selling as fast as they hoped.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Subc

is this 4 gb upgrade cap to the 4gb cap we had before a trick?
    Does it also include the uploads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Might as well add to the melee: Is UTV USB only? I have a small network in here, I don't want to be p1ssing around with USB modems.

adam

i'm using ethernet here adam, they supply a free usb modem but you can buy your own

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by Boston
    i'm using ethernet here adam, they supply a free usb modem but you can buy your own
    Ta. Anyone wanna buy a USB modem? :)

adam

• Advertisement

Just on to them now, apparently eircom dropped the price and its just filtered through, so this offer has been confirms, its only from account activated after the first of october, so if your waiting you might want to get htem to hold off a week or so.

Adam i recommend the netgear dm602 if your jsut looking for a single port router/modem, to conenct to your existing network. Dsl-warehouse are doing them for about 115 euro including shipping and 17.5% vat,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Originally posted by Subc
    is this 4 gb upgrade cap to the 4gb cap we had before a trick?
    Does it also include the uploads?

Again the reply from UTV support newsgroup "Uh huh ... we are still DL only".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Dawg

Originally posted by Boston
    its only from account activated after the first of october, so if your waiting you might want to get htem to hold off a week or so.
    Ahh nuts, my account was activated today or should have been, haven't heard anything and I've no modem to test the line.
    No matter, the 4 gig cap increase is good enough news for me.

same story with me, but hey you can ask them to delay activating your account if you like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Damn just my luck,i signed up last Monday and have been charged the 99 quid connection fee. Probably wont get that back but will i get the first month for free i wonder? The 8 gig limit is good news, now all i have to do is wait and this could be a while from all accounts.

Mike

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

adam

Hi Adam,

I highly recommend the Draytek Vigor 2600 DSL router, you will love it, I believe it's firewall is IPtables based, 4 port switch, DHCP, DynamicDNS, NAT, DMZ, etc.

But the really outstanding feature that you don't get with other DSL routers is that it has a VPN termination server. This means you would be able to connect to your home network from anywhere in the world securely.
    It is very cool.

I got mine from dsl-warehouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Ta. Anyone wanna buy a USB modem? :)

adam
    A mate of mine had the same problem but with a wireless network, usb modem but ethrnet port on router. He got peats to order him in a usb-ethernet adaptor. I'd suggest the same, peats of course charges him 50 odd euro but you can probably find it cheaper online.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Jorinn
    A mate of mine had the same problem but with a wireless network, usb modem but ethrnet port on router. He got peats to order him in a usb-ethernet adaptor. I'd suggest the same, peats of course charges him 50 odd euro but you can probably find it cheaper online.

People, just dump those USB modems (well don't really, if you need to return them to the ISP later) and get a ethernet router.

These USB modems are really, really awful, they are like the winmodems of the broadband world. They are only for the AOL users of this world, not power user boards members.

Actually in fairness to Eircom, the modem they are now giving has both USB and an ethernet port. It is the first company I have heard of doing this, even in the UK market. However I'd still prefer a router.

People, just dump those USB modems

If a person is using one computer, with no intention of networking, is the USB modem OK or are their speed/reliability issues?

Thanks,

If a person is using one computer, with no intention of networking, is the USB modem OK or are their speed/reliability issues?

Thanks,

- Speed issues
    - Drains processor resources
    - May cause machine to crash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

This is fantastic news, and I hope Eircom take note of the increased cap. Much as I dislike Eircom I would consider their service if they matched this UTV offer.

Much as I dislike Eircom I would consider their service if they matched this UTV offer.

Why?

Ok, they are all businesses at the end of the day and they all want to make money. But if you have two deals that are equal - one from a company that has a poor history with regard to customer service and NOT providing the product that comsumers are looking for ....and one from a company that has built up a reputation for good customer service and operates on the basis of making cash by providing the services that people are demanding.

So you decide to opt for the first one:confused: ..
    What sort of message does this send to irish businesses. ...Yeah, go ahead, keep on ridin' us:mad:

(not picking on you but i think you see where i'm coming from..)

Thanks,

They are ok, but not great. They generally use more processor resources, may not work with Linux / Mac OS X, seem to cause slightly higher pings (about 5 - 10ms) and sometimes the drivers can be troublesome.

However if you get a USB modem free, then just try it. If it works ok for you and you are happy with it and you are not doing networking, then keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

This is highly unlikely to work - USB-ethernet adaptors are ethernet cards that connect via USB to a computer to give that computer an ethernet port. You can't just plug a USB modem into an ethernet adaptor and then on into a router, it doesn't work that way around! Let me know if this mate of yours actually had any success.

Valentina - you should be fine with a USB modem, especially if you are getting it free. Setup is likely to be easier as the ISP will likely supply you with a CD with all the settings on it already. I certainly wouldn't bother changing it for a router unless you are running into major problems, the expense isn't worth it (unless you have more than 1 PC or want a wireless connection).

Eurorunner, there are 2 main reasons I would pick Eircom despite all they have done.
    1. I don't want to run my phone calls through UTV (This is the bit I really don't like). Despite being added hassle, All calls are subject to a 3.87 cent setup fee including VAT.
    2. From everything I read, despite their poor rep Eircom's service does seem to be that little bit more reliable.

These are the things I would base my decision on. Sorry, if it seems a bit cold towards startups and I know how much good work UTV have done. If UTV dropped the getting the calls through them bit, then maybe they would become an option, but, I guess they have to make their money somewhere.

This is just my opinion, and my knowledge of the whole market isn't as good as most people's here, but I'm sure other people think this way.

As for a message to irish businesses, sorry but there is very little room for sentiment in my decision when it comes to Bband.

Originally posted by Ronan
    Eurorunner, there are 2 main reasons I would pick Eircom despite all they have done.
    1. I don't want to run my phone calls through UTV (This is the bit I really don't like). Despite being added hassle, All calls are subject to a 3.87 cent setup fee including VAT.
    2. From everything I read, despite their poor rep Eircom's service does seem to be that little bit more reliable.

These are the things I would base my decision on. Sorry, if it seems a bit cold towards startups and I know how much good work UTV have done. If UTV dropped the getting the calls through them bit, then maybe they would become an option, but, I guess they have to make their money somewhere.

This is just my opinion, and my knowledge of the whole market isn't as good as most people's here, but I'm sure other people think this way.

As for a message to irish businesses, sorry but there is very little room for sentiment in my decision when it comes to Bband.

I hear what your saying. Your right about the setup charge but what you should know is that €ircon have a minimum call charge that is almost twice UTV's call setup charge. You should have a look through this
    post.
    Switching the phones over to another telecoms co. can be a problem in some circumstances ie. where your not the actual billpayer for the current line - but otherwise, its not a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sar!

Yes but i heard that if you use eircom the actual quality of your line is far better than other service providers....and this i think will be the essential for most users....i mean its all very well paying less for other service providers but if it means losing quality then no way! I think the only way this will be solved is if other companies can own the lines aside from eircom seeing as eircom no matter who they lease lines to their interests will lie with themselves.....

Originally posted by Ronan

You don't have to get CPS to use UTV ADSL , don't know why on earth you think you would have to, and your not the first to say it to me. You have to get CPS for their dial up service, not their ADSL. I've got clicksilver and i'm still with eircom.

Eurorunner, thanks for the info. I was unaware of all that. Still, it is hard to tell the prices differences, but good info.

Boston, from reading the U.tv site it would lead you to believe that you also are argreeing to change operators for you phone calls, not only on the main page but in the terms and conditions. But I clearly stand corrected and thank you for Pointing this out.

:)

• Advertisement

I just want ClickSilver, not the telephony can I have this?

No. Unfortunately this product combines the telephony service with the broadband service.

From the UTV Clicksilver FAQ

Advertisement