Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Special announced!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

Also from the FAQ for Broadband on U.TV

Q. I just want ClickSilver, not the telephony can I have this?

A. No. Unfortunately this product combines the telephony service with the broadband service.

I'm confused now.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Originally posted by Sar!
    Yes but i heard that if you use eircom the actual quality of your line is far better than other service providers....and this i think will be the essential for most users....i mean its all very well paying less for other service providers but if it means losing quality then no way! I think the only way this will be solved is if other companies can own the lines aside from eircom seeing as eircom no matter who they lease lines to their interests will lie with themselves.....

Another urban myth is born. What a load of balloney! All the lines belong to Eircom so how could the quality differ. Jeez :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

What Valentia said Sar! All Yore Line Are Belong To Eircom.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sar!

Another urban myth is born. What a load of balloney! All the lines belong to Eircom so how could the quality differ. Jeez

Im not in the habit of writing the myths I just wanna find the facts????!
    The actually line quality may not differ, but from reports the quality of product does seem to - that was all!!!!!

The actually line quality may not differ, but from reports the quality of product does

Apart from sending the occassional blonde babe to the door to try and drag me back to Eircom, I can't think of any service that they provide that isn't done better, cheaper and more honestly by somebody else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

You don't have to get CPS to use UTV ADSL

Thanks for posting this Boston. I have never fully investigated Clicksilver (it may never be made available to me) - so, i sort of assumed that they would bundle it up with telephony.

Sar!/Ronan: I hope we can save your souls:D Once you dance with the devil...

As regards problems with UTVs product Sar!, this is confined to dialup problems - getting onto the utv service - which for the vast majority is rectified by use of an alternative dialup number when the main number is busy.
    Most problems reported ref. their broadband product relate to untimely installations/line testing issues - all points back to the beloved €ircon Inc.

The bottom line is that at the moment, Eircom are not offering the better deal with anything from telephony, dialup, broadband, leased lines, etc. simply because they dont feel that they have to (although, this may come back and bite them in the ass some day soon...:mad: ).

So, what is the real story with the telephony service . According to UTV's website they are linked, but, according to people here they are not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Sotry is they are not linked, as mine isnt, and as far as i understand it would be ilegal to do so. Just ring them up and ask them to sign you up for it.

thanks Boston. They should sort out their webpage so, loosing potential customers!
    :)

This is a bit naughty of them..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

maybe they are linked in northern ireland, it wouldn't be the first tiem northern ireland info was put up on the republic site, like the 256k upload speed when the service was first launched.

Originally posted by Boston
    Sotry is they are not linked, as mine isnt, and as far as i understand it would be ilegal to do so. Just ring them up and ask them to sign you up for it.
    Boston,

I think what may have happened in your case is that Eircom never changed the CPS. This happened to me at work. My understanding is that what UTV are doing is not illegal (a person does not have to go with Clicksilver). UTV explained their pricing structure here before and the CPS enables them to charge less for their internet services.

UTV have made it clear both here and on their support newsgroup that splitting internet and CPS is not an option. Perhaps someone from UTV will confirm this here again.

I'm just repeating this so that people will not sign up with the wrong impression.

maybe they are linked in northern ireland

As far as I know they are not linked in the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by Eurorunner
    This is a bit naughty of them..

How is it naughty? They state it clearly and have never denied that CPS is part of the package.

If you don't want to change your call provider, fine go with Eircom. But from my experience, UTV's call service is just as good.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If you don't want to go with UTV's call service, then why not go with IOLBB, it is e5 per month cheaper and has double the cap.

I really don't know what peoples problem with UTV phone service is, you WILL save money over Eircom, you may or may not save money over Esat. It is all FUD.

Originally posted by bk
    If you don't want to go with UTV's call service, then why not go with IOLBB, it is e5 per month cheaper and has double the cap.

The plot thickens :ninja:

UTV charge €47.50 p/m. IOL €49.49

UTV's cap is 8Gb download. IOL's cap is 8Gb upload and download.

Am I just after being reincarnated in Alice in Wonderland where everything is the reverse of what it seems? UTV are cheaper with a bigger cap, end of story. I you dont want their telephony @ 25% less (than Eircom) well go elsewhere and pay more.

It really is that simple.

I don't want to appear like a UTV junkie but..... I honestly have no connection with them. I just received this mail fron them.. SERVICE OR WHA..!!

Dear Customer

Thank you for your recent order for the UTV Clicksilver Broadband service. Due to the forthcoming reduction in Eircom's wholesale pricing, we have introduced a special offer for new customers, effective from 1st October until 31 December. This offer entails free connection, free modem and the first month's rental free a saving of ˆ146.50 on your original order.

In order for you to avail of this promotion we will be delaying your order until 26 September. If, however, you wish to proceed with the original costs, please reply to this email and we will process your order immediately.

Full details of the new promotion are available at www.u.tv/clicksilver.

We hope that this delay does not cause any inconvenience but we strive to give our customers the best service and value in the market.

Yours sincerely
    UTV Internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 elsoldemayo

Got the same mail, I think I can wait 3 days to save myself best part of 150 yo-yos

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Valentia
    The plot thickens :ninja:

UTV charge €47.50 p/m. IOL €49.49

UTV's cap is 8Gb download. IOL's cap is 8Gb upload and download.

Am I just after being reincarnated in Alice in Wonderland where everything is the reverse of what it seems? UTV are cheaper with a bigger cap, end of story. I you dont want their telephony @ 25% less (than Eircom) well go elsewhere and pay more.

It really is that simple.

I think you got the wrong end of the stick, I was saying that IOL BB is e5 per month cheaper and has a bigger CAP then Eircom.

I agree with you 100% UTV have a better deal, I was just making the point that if you didn't want to take their phone service then IOLBB was a better alternative then Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Valentia! When did you order ? Just wondering as i ordered last Monday week and did'nt get that email.

Mike

• Advertisement

Originally posted by PiE
    How is it naughty? They state it clearly and have never denied that CPS is part of the package.

If you don't want to change your call provider, fine go with Eircom. But from my experience, UTV's call service is just as good.

Read my post prior to this one Pie:D . I figured it out to be 'naughty' on the premise of Bostons relevation that they werent actually bundling telephony with dsl ..and that it also wouldnt be legal to do so.

.....but it seems my goodwill for UTVinternet is still intact;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Dawg

Mike, you should give them a call tomorrow and ask them for the date your line has been provisioned for. I'd imagine it will be a bit after the new offer goes through so you should be fine.
    I ordered just over a month ago, and was told on the 4th of this month that my line was provisioned for the 22nd, just to give you some sort of timescale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Dawg! You are waiting over a month. If thats the case i have nearly 3 more weeks to wait. Is this a typical wait time to get connected?

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Dawg

I can only go from what others have posted here, and it seems to vary a bit.

Once your payment goes through, UTV will be able to tell you the date Eircom have your line provisioned for, after that it's out of their hands. Each day Eircom /should/ send UTV a list of lines activated. Once they get confirmation your line has been done they will send you a mail, and post your modem out from their Dublin base.

In my case it should have been done on Monday but there's nothing back from Eircom as yet, and calling them proved rather pointless. Hopefully I'll be up and running over the next few days though.

HTH

I think you got the wrong end of the stick

I did. Sorry.

Valentia! When did you order ?

I ordered on 22nd. After the offer was announced on the UTV newsgroup. That may have something to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Malcolm

Originally posted by Ronan
    So, what is the real story with the telephony service . According to UTV's website they are linked, but, according to people here they are not...
    Having read through some of the conflicting information I will try and clarify a few details on the telephony service:
    1. CPS telephony is mandatory with both the UTVip Flat Rate products and the UTV Clicksilver broadband services. During all sign-ups the customer has to proactively choose this option and agree to change over their telephony provider to UTV Internet.
    2. We do not apply for CPS on broadband orders until the line is successfully activated. Therefore the CPS will only occur after successful installation of the broadband service.
    3. Due to the success of both the UTVipXL and Clicksilver services there is a backlog of CPS activations and therfore migration to UTV Internet for calls may be some time after the internet services are activated.

Thanks for the Reply. It is all clear now :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I have to say, it gladdens my heart to see UTV under pressure with the amount of telephony customers they're taking away from Eircom.

Up yours ratty.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

I take it this is just a typo regarding the Cap http://u.tv/support/ans.asp?id=448&category=broadband&region=ie

Also on the page with regards to the cap it say's

"Download allowance measures everything that that comes from the net, every page, every email, every image; it does not refer only to download requests. "

When it says everything that comes from the net I take it they do not include your upload traffic (emails you send and so on) can anyone from utv confirm this
    Thks

Advertisement