Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you organise your pre-season?

Options
  • 23-09-2003 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Well, subject says it all...

I'm old school, so its on 00-001 I'm working, but this is what I do:

1. As soon as the season comes to an end, I take all my players off training. Then when the database has updated , and the new season's fixture list is prepared, I put them all back on their previous assignment. This helps get fitness up quickly.

2. Friendly-wise, I usually start with 2 clubs from the league directly below me, playing them away from home. So I've taken Reading to the Prem, and my first two matches are usually against 1st division teams (occassionally I'll throw in a 2nd division side, depends on the team) I'll follow that with a tour somewhere, usually Scotland or Ireland.

3. Then I have a couple of home ties against better oposition, Euro types and the like. Usually organise that as a friendly cup, and then 2-3 matches, giving me at least a weeks rest prior to the league starting.

Why? Well...

1. Allows fitness levels to recover quickly
    2. Allows me to try new formations, and throw new players into an easy friendly or two.
    3. Allows me to judge my best line-up, basically.

Any thoughts? Or is it all nonsense?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

I'm old school aswell, playing 01/02 now though, same as 00/01 except for the odd yoke.
    I have never once organised a friendly game ever in pre-season. I sometimes take everyone off training at the end of the season and, like you do, throw them back into training around the end of July.
    As far as I can tell it's all fairly pointless ! I never went near the training screen for years, now I try out a few things for the craic, but when you use 4-1-3-2 formation all the time home and away, you don't really need to mess around with the training. It's definitely the best formation to use, if you have class players in all positions.
    Either your players are fit for the start of the season, or they build up fitness after so many games, i find the results don't differ all that much.

Well that's my bit anyhoo.

Advertisement