Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creative Writing Forum and Freedom of expression

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Originally posted by bonkey
    I thought BEAT had made it clear that the post was edited subsequent to complaints about its content.

While I tend to agree with the "placeholder and send back to author for editing" approach, I think its unfair to complain that the mod read things wrong when it was the readers who were complaining.

jc
    The "off" button is the ultimate censor. If people don't like it. Surf elsewhere. I read the piece, in it's original condition, and I thought it was fine. In fairness I would here a lot more profanity in a sweet shop than I read in that piece. What exactly 5 or 6 people had to put in the e-mail is beyond me!

However in my opinion Marcus is not due an apology. Having said that, Beat acted in a totally incorrect manner and should acknowledge that. It is creative writing afterall and most people could take offence to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

People were annoyed with the comments after Marcusgarvey's post. I reported the 'your gay' comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Surely these 5 or 6 people who pmed BEAT should be jumping to support his decision. I am interested to see who is really that easily offended.

It would appear to me that this has been very badly handled, i feel deleting part of someones work without at least backing it up is somewhat careless and inconsiderate.

BEAT can you not at least admit that you should not have deleted some of Marcus's work, or are you intent on sitting on your "i believe i did the right thing" high horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

BEAT, I think it's been made clear that any reports that were made about the thread were referring to the muppet posts by the two banned users. The fact that you edited the posts because you thought some people were taking offence is a moot point considering that there were apparently 5 reports (which you took to be about the story itself) while there are some 15 complaints on this thread alone about what you did. By your logic everybody who expresses an opinion different to the norm or slightly controversial deserves to be banned as they may offend people and by inverting your own logic you should be banned for annoying so many people with your actions although I don't want to see that happen.
    It would have been totally different had this been on a private forum where everything goes by what the mods allow but that forum is in my opinion the community's, not your's and therefore the rules should be set by the people who post in it and read it, not some over zealous mod. The whole point of the forum should be to challenge and engage people which won't happen if people are forced to post content that wouldn't be out of place in a primary school textbook. I think in future you should most definitly look before you leap and I hope that you resolve this situation by apologising to Marcus and restoring the original content.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Would something like what is used when 'inappropriate for work' type pics are posted not work.

Something like:
    MY TITLE [Do not open if easily offended]

Then any abuse or responses that are out of order are moderated as the mod sees fit but the works themselves are left untouched. Exceptions might be needed if the piece is just pure racism or something else that almost everyone would find inappropriate.

• Advertisement

Now this has turned out to be a very worthwhile discussion, in an independent venue.

I read the original post by Marcus and to be honest thought it was a good read (I also thought I was in PI too for a second :D )
    I'm wondering what sort of people have a problem with phrases like "hung like a donkey" really, in the light of mainstream stuff from roddy doyle as was mentioned already.

Beat, this has been a learning curve for you, I take it??
    As it has for everyone else here.
    Now would be timely for all to go back to the regular contributers and agree a system , theres plenty of food for thought in this thread.

mm

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

Ok,
    I have read everyone's input. I am going to input a new charter with some basic rules that should make everyone happy.
    Marcus is more than welcome to post there as I stated before any of this mess happened.
    I do not feel I owe an apology as I was adhereing to the request of others to edit certain words and it is the job of a mod to do such things. (this too will be revised in the new rules)
    I understand that this forum is different than others.
    I do feel now after seeing so many opinions that perhaps editing the last paragraph out of the story would make any writer upset and perhaps I should have pm'd him about that. That is about all I would take back if I could.

I have said all I will say about this subject, it has gone on for long enough.
    *Give me until tomorow..the 25th to get the new rules posted if not tonight, I do have other things to do in my life as well ;)*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

What's gone up in the new charter is great Beat.

Nice one.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

I was informed by PM from BEAT last night that she deleted the Dear Susan thread and I could post it again. I explained (and this was one of my complaints) that I did not have an original copy of the work and so what she tore out of the piece is lost forever.

I give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

It appears that the 'Dear Susan' thread has been deleted by Beat. Removing part of his work due to inexperience could possibly be forgiven. Deleting the whole thread is just plain ridiculous.

Marcusgarvey has PM’d me regarding posting Creative Writing on the English board. That’s fine by me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by MarcusGarvey
    I was informed by PM from BEAT last night that she deleted the Dear Susan thread and I could post it again.

I give up.
    I wonder why she did that? It was locked anyways. Don't give up the forum is a great idea and with the new rules it should work fine.
    Originally posted by Praetorian
    Marcusgarvey has PM’d me regarding posting Creative Writing on the English board. That’s fine by me.
    Don't you think that your efforts would be better spent making the CW board work as you would like rather than bypassing it entirely?

Yeah, rethinking that request I made to Prae. Posting stuff in English when theres a Creative Writing forum would defeat the purpose, so I won't post in English.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Originally posted by MarcusGarvey
    I was informed by PM from BEAT last night that she deleted the Dear Susan thread and I could post it again. I explained (and this was one of my complaints) that I did not have an original copy of the work and so what she tore out of the piece is lost forever.

I give up.

Why on earth would you do a thing like that BEAT?! Things were just starting to look up. It looks like a case of one step forward two steps back though.

With all the fuss over editing out parts of the post what made you think deleting the whole post would be good? :confused:

I don't know what the setup on Boards is regarding backups but maybe an admin might be able to restore the thread. Is this possible?

Nah Puck its fine. Someone made a copy of the thread yesterday so I have that, just not what I originally posted.

BEAT wasn't malicious and genuinely assumed I had a backup.

This whole thing has sapped enough of my time and energy now though so I'm gonna leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Well it's your post so if you're fine about it then it's not my place to argue I guess. I'm just straining to see the logic here. Ah well nevermind.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ok, I didnt read any of the posts in question but I think I can piece things together.

MG posted something close to the edge. Nothing wrong with that, as someone put it Creative Writing is likely to feck someone off... we should apply the 80/20 rule here. 80% of people happy, 20% annoyed.

Beat reacted with some inexperience, modding isnt as easy as many of our mods make it look... I should have seen that CW might raise such issues but I also overlooked that some would push the edges. Creative Writing isnt like someone bashing out a post. Its more personal then that so editing is taken more personally.

The charter should come from the community, not be impose on it. Perhaps a thread that discusses the rules that the community wants enforced by the mods might be good.
    For myself I wouldnt want anything posted that a 14+ year old shouldnt read.

Marcus, I'm sorry that your writing got deleted. I'm glad you got it back... but taking off in a huff doesnt help either. Beat may not have made great decisions but hey, I dont make great decisions all the time and I'm 3 years doing this :)

If everyone on this thread stopped taking a blame attitude (and I mean, almost EVERYONE) I think we could smooth out the kinks between the expectations of the community and the modus operandi of the moderators and move onwards with a decent intriguing forum.

Anyone up for that?

DeV.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

Yes Devore,
    all sounds good to me.
    Infact, the last line of my new rules charter offers anyone to post suggestions to rules for the forum.
    I think it's all settled now really. ;)

Advertisement