Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ex - Smokers Forum!, Do we need one ?...

Options
  • 23-09-2003 10:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

As someone who gave up smoking in November 1999. I seem to be going through a very difficult period at the moment, and I have this overwhwlming compulsion to light up again!.

I am seriously wondering if we need a forum to support [ex-smokers] and those trying to stop smoking.

As well as those who are on the brink of slipping back in to a very expensive addiction. One that apparently never really leaves you, it is one day at a time for me. In fact at this moment, it is a case of one second at a time.

I am off to Dublin for a couple of days, and really am wondering if I will get there and back home to Donegal. Without buying 20 or even 200 ?..

I would be very interested to know. If people, smokers or ex-smokers!. Think a forum for Ex-Smokers would be of real benefit to people and society in general ?...

All opinions very welcome!.

P.:confused: { Or would a:- How to Stop Smoking! - Forum, be a better Title ?..
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

actually, i think thats a pretty good idea.
    although a good anme would obviously be needed :)
    dont want smokers coming around and telling us that the name reminds them they smoke :)

but seriously, a really good idea, especially as many people are always trying to quit, but find it hard without support.

something like a smokers anonymous help board.

oh, and paddy20, why would you want to lite up again?
    have you tasted smokes recently?

man, i had a small drag of a joint a couple of weeks ago on a hockey tour, and i nearly vomited. the taste was fúcking awful!

it actually resolved me to never ever ever want to smoke again.

now, see. this is why a board to help smokers quit and ex smokers stay quited!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Christ! Haven't we got enough religious forums on boards already? Mind you, I suspose it could be useful for keeping all that crap in one place. Like PI or Unix. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

How long before we get a request for a forum for Unix Smokers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by amp
    Christ! Haven't we got enough religious forums on boards already? Mind you, I suspose it could be useful for keeping all that crap in one place. Like PI or Unix. :D

There's be no crap in Unix if Regi'd only setup the iptables and enforce the full dictionary banlist I asked him to implement...

for shame..

.logic.

I don't understand you logic1. Is there a man file or something ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I'm not a smoker or even ex-smoker but I think it would be an excellent idea.

It could provide a lot of support for people who are thinking of giving up or who are having difficulties staying off them.

There would always be a danger of the board being over-run with messages of "smoking is good", but that could be bannable through a charter (or could it?).

Mightn't be the most fascinating board or the most frequented (down there somewhere with gardening wherever that is) but definitely worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Why a Board? Would 2 Stickies in somewhere like, PI or fitness not cover it?

Sticky 1) = I gave up smoking and this is how I did it.

Sticky 2) = I want to give up smoking How do I do it?

Smoking Board = Overkill

Originally posted by Hobart
    Smoking Board = Overkill
    That's possibly a better way of doing it unless anyone can suggest what kind of treads the board would generate (suggestions on a postcard).

The stickys above are very important but beyond them I'm not sure what else there is, possibly
    Sticky 3) = I gave up smoking but I'm feeling tempted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

I don't think PI or Fitness would be a suitable board for the stickys.
    If there was a Health Forum then I would agree with putting them in there but I don't believe that quitting smoking has much to do with Fitness or Problem Pages.

I propose we get a Health Forum and put the ex-smokers stickys in there :D

But as a whole I agree with the the 'smokers anonymous' notion.
    I could have done with it when I stopped smoking, thankfully my bf had quit 7 months previous so I had him to discuss what I was going through.

Originally posted by flyz
    I propose we get a Health Forum and put the ex-smokers stickys in there
    A health board under science maybe?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Hobart

Smoking Board = Overkill

Yes that would be my view also.
    Or as a second choice possibly a health forum.
    However with the latter you will run into the problems of unqualified but knowledgeable people giving advice on medical issues
    And if that goes wrong:eek: :eek:
    I dread to think.

mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

Originally posted by Man
    Yes that would be my view also.
    Or as a second choice possibly a health forum.
    However with the latter you will run into the problems of unqualified but knowledgeable people giving advice on medical issues
    And if that goes wrong:eek: :eek:
    I dread to think.

mm

One Suggestion would be to rename Fitness to 'Health / Fitness' but the Fitness forum seems to be doing well on it's own plus the Fitness forum seems to deal only with Gym fitness.

Would it be possible for a Health Forum to deal with Healthy Living / eating and not deal with the illness aspect at all.

It could deal with Healthy Diets (not get thin fast / gain more muscle diets) , benefits of not smoking / drinking.
    And in general how to live a better healthier life.

Both the fitness and the Food/Drink border on dealing with such topics but neither of them do.

Maybe 2 sub menus under 'Health/Fitness' might work too

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by amp
    it could be useful for keeping all that crap in one place. Like PI or Unix. :D

no, no, no, no, no, no, NO!!!

imagine having to moderate that bunch on ex smoking spamers
    it's bad enough in PI already!

A Health forum? Well if by that you mean a forum where nobody can post and there's one sticky which says:

Got spots on your willy? SEE A DOCTOR!

Also, if an anti-smoking forum is created I would demand a Smokers forum where discussion of different flavours of tobbaco, methods of smoking with a pipe and just plain going on about how great smoking is.

Of course as the cost of smoking goes up in terms of health and price it would not be a long term forum, but it'd be fun while it lasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

Originally posted by Paddy20
    As someone who gave up smoking in November 1999. I seem to be going through a very difficult period at the moment, and I have this overwhwlming compulsion to light up again!.

I am seriously wondering if we need a forum to support [ex-smokers] and those trying to stop smoking.

As well as those who are on the brink of slipping back in to a very expensive addiction. One that apparently never really leaves you, it is one day at a time for me. In fact at this moment, it is a case of one second at a time.

I am off to Dublin for a couple of days, and really am wondering if I will get there and back home to Donegal. Without buying 20 or even 200 ?..

I would be very interested to know. If people, smokers or ex-smokers!. Think a forum for Ex-Smokers would be of real benefit to people and society in general ?...

All opinions very welcome!.

P.:confused: { Or would a:- How to Stop Smoking! - Forum, be a better Title ?..

Don't think we need it.

Smokers hate ex -smokers
    (and ex-smokers hate smokers) so no benefit to society.

And ex-smokers are such well adjusted and comfortable-with-themselves people that surely they don't need the support.

And any who fall off the wagon really just want to be with the smokers anyway.........

(oh, forum hasn't actually started yet, sorry)

Originally posted by amp
    Also, if an anti-smoking forum is created I would demand a Smokers forum where discussion of different flavours of tobbaco, methods of smoking with a pipe and just plain going on about how great smoking is

yes indeed amp, while away in Prague I partook of smoking apple tobacco from a rather large pipe thingie, we could have a section on ‘places to smoke while on holidays’ for example....

The more I think about it a smoking board makes a lot more sense then a non smoking board. There is as much scope there as there is for alcohol. The non-smoking stickys could be in the smoking board if they were to be respected for what they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

p. pete,

Yes, The [Title!] is of paramount importance. Smoking in general, no matter what the substance being smoked, or not, whatever the case may be. Is an issue that both smokers and ex-smokers will find of increasing interest and social importance for a long time to come.

May I suggest, a straightforward title such as simply: Smoking!, or a, Smoking Issues! forum would be able to accomodate all shades of opinion, and the views of smokers and ex-smokers,

As well as it becoming a support forum, for those trying to quit tobacco smoking, and a how I quit or how I managed to stay quit tips forum. Someone, on this thread/suggestion - stated that "ex-smokers hate smokers". As an ex-smoker I totally disagree with that sweeping type of remark. The issue and its personal and social ramifactions are much more complex, and as you so rightly state. The similarity to Alcohol springs to mind.

Those who have been unfortunate enough to become addicted too Alcohol and are in reality Alcoholics. Have Alcoholics Anonymous, and various other Health Board, Department of Health and very long established voluntary group support organisations.

I do not believe that smokers or ex-smokers, have the same standard of support infrastructure available to them at this juncture. This is what I am trying to address, it has to start somewhere. So, why not on Boards.ie?...

P.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    yes indeed amp, while away in Prague I partook of smoking apple tobacco from a rather large pipe thingie, we could have a section on ‘places to smoke while on holidays’ for example....

a big hooka type thingy (or whatever they are called.
    i smoked one in Oman last year. they had them at the tables in some of the resteraunts and was a social thing. even the kids were smoking it, although it really is just smelly stuff. but it was nice and relaxing. not too sure what the tobacco content was though.
    was cool though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by amp

Also, if an anti-smoking forum is created I would demand a Smokers forum where discussion of different flavours of tobbaco, methods of smoking with a pipe and just plain going on about how great smoking is.

Of course as the cost of smoking goes up in terms of health and price it would not be a long term forum, but it'd be fun while it lasted.

I would also love this smoking forum. Kind of like an elite smoking club. Make it private so pesky non-smokers, ex-smokers can't get in and ruin our buzz :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Oooh, I love the apple ones Beruthiel. In Egypt they call them "Sheesha". My parents didn't mind one bit when my sister and I rented one out while dining on pigeon next to the Nile. It's almost a pleasure to sit next to someone smoking a sheesha. Unlike those dirty smelly stinky cigarettes that some people smoke *pech pech* dirty filthy rotten smokers.

ww)

Originally posted by Gordon
    Oooh, I love the apple ones Beruthiel. In Egypt they call them "Sheesha". My parents didn't mind one bit when my sister and I rented one out while dining on pigeon next to the Nile. It's almost a pleasure to sit next to someone smoking a sheesha. Unlike those dirty smelly stinky cigarettes that some people smoke *pech pech* dirty filthy rotten smokers.

ww)

indeed it was good fun!
    I have a pic of me sis smoking away posted in my gallery :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

elite smoking club

Huh, that's weird. I thought those words couldn't be used in one sentence like that.

Everyone knows smokers are horrible.

Ho ho ho.... aha... very cutting. Very witty.

If you'd like to argue with me some more then go

here

This thread isn't about how horrible smokers are.

Sorry, I was under the impression you could take a joke :p

I absolutely CANNOT take a joke. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Tsk, typical smoker.

Originally posted by koneko

Everyone knows smokers are horrible.

/me pulls koneko's bra strap and runs away giggling.

Seriously though, of course giving up smoking is a good idea. And people shouldn't start either. It's a monumentally stupid thing to give someone shitloads of money to smell bad, be unhealthy, die early etc etc. But at the same time I think some people get really far too worked up about it.

Me? I choose to smoke, I smoke to keep the demon cravings away. And I actually enjoy smoking. And there are people I would never have met, good friends, had I not smoked. This doesn't excuse the bad side of smoking but like most things in life smoking does have some positive aspects.

P.s I wrote a journal entry inspired by this thread.

:eek:

The cheek!

• Advertisement

I'm sorry but I love your sig.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement