Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 cisco questions

Options
  • 23-09-2003 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm configuring two cisco routers here to run 128k isdn links.

They are both 1603 R models, both running IOS 12.0

One of them is already setup, however the other one has still got a rather large config on it. Is there any quick way of deleteing the config? or do I have to do a "no" in front of every line in it.

Also, what paramters do i set on the dialer / interface to go to 128k?

Cheers,

John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

erase startup-config?

I doubt you'd need to set to 128k... although its been about a year since I've last used one, and I can't remember our ISDN setup :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Cheers Kali,

In my infinite googling I suddenly hit upon the password recovery articl on cisco.com and realised that if I followed that procedure without restoring the memory I'd be at a blank config.

On a semi related note, i have this memory that it's possible to hook up 2 cisco routers using some form of crossover type cable doohicky to make them think they're actually on real isdn, any idea if this is possible/a standard cable I may have lying around?

John

(it's cold in the comms room where the isdn lines are)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Originally posted by JohnBoy
    In my infinite googling I suddenly hit upon the password recovery articl on cisco.com and realised that if I followed that procedure without restoring the memory I'd be at a blank config.

Or you could just enter

write erase

Re your 128K requirement, it's also a while since I did this, but I seem to remember a load-threshold parameter which I used to kick in the second ISDN channel whenever traffic went above a certain level. If you set this to 0, then you'll fire up both channels all the time.

Can't help with your crossover question, not something I've heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭crowbar

Originally posted by JohnBoy
    On a semi related note, i have this memory that it's possible to hook up 2 cisco routers using some form of crossover type cable doohicky to make them think they're actually on real isdn, any idea if this is possible/a standard cable I may have lying around?
    nah, afaik you can't do that with the 1600s. usually you have to use an isdn switch emulator to hook up two isdn devices back-to-back. with some of the voip type cards used to connect routers to pabxen you might be able to cobble up something that would do it too, though i've never really looked into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 monkey_magic

To go to 128k isdn put this line in your BRI interface config

dialer load-threshold <int> either

Where int is the line load between 1 & 255.

As for getting the two BRI interfaces to talk to each other with just a special kind of cable, if your BRI card is for use in Ireland, then I don't think it can work.

In Ireland ISDN interfaces for PC's and routers etc are Terminal Adaptors (TA's), these in turn connect to an NT1 device usually a white box provided by eircom. It's this NT1 that implements the ISDN physical layer specifications needed for two devices to talk to each other.

In America and other places cisco cards, and ISDN modems come with an integrated NT1 device so it may be possible to do it in these places I've never tried so I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Thanks for all the replies folks,

I have it all done and working now.

for the second line to test with, I unplugged the email server....

dialer load-threshold 1 worked a treat.

Cheers,

John

Advertisement