Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Medical Websites

• 23-09-2003 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

I know that this forum is not a medical forum and this forum is the closest to my problem so I was wondering is there any websites I can ask a doctor a question and get a quick reply or something of that nature. It must be free though.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by eireboy
    I know that this forum is not a medical forum and this forum is the closest to my problem so I was wondering is there any websites I can ask a doctor a question and get a quick reply or something of that nature. It must be free though.

Cheers.

Medical websites are notoriously bad, mainly because patients descriptions of what their symptoms are, are often biased and the patient may have a pre-conceived notion about the ailment.

If its a general medical query asked unspecifically, lots of people post here. But just go to a doctor.

I saw a case where a guy misdiagnosed himself as having an STI through the net and apart from the 6 months without sex, he picked a completely inappropriate anti-fungal cream and I still can't believe he was able to walk with the pain and swelling. We kept the photos as a cautionary tale.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Nothing can substitute a visit to a doctor eireboy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

My GP is a really good friend of the family which means I don't have to pay to visit him so I would go for the smallest of things but this problem is not something I want him to know about as we go drinking together and it could slip out in front of a few mates. Also, this is not the kind of thing that a doctor would get a visit about every day and It is nothing that could easily be mistaken for something different.

Also, I would post it on these forums but the last time I did it got locked so any sites, preferably Irish, that I could ask a docor about the problem?

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Just go to a different doctor.

To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't recommend a medical website to anyone. There is a very good reason they have huge legal disclaimers on them.

I'm sorry this isn't what you want to here, but if you have a medical problem, what is a website going to do besides worry you?

If it confirms there is something wrong, will you be able to get prescription medicine? Will you be able to trust it or will you end up goingto a doctor anyway?

The whole problem with these websites is, when you go to them, you feel there is something wrong with you to start with. So you are inclined to believe whatever it tells you that you have. This is problematic in that

a) To acurately diagnose someone you may need to look for multiple symptoms. You are not trained to do so, or even know which symptoms to look for.

b) Due to your arbetory view of your symptoms you could easily mis-diagnose yourself. Even doctors do it, so you think you have a chance?

c) If the can't match you to having something, well you feel relieved?

If these websites were reliable, people would have been diagnosing themselves with books long ago.

Just find a doctor you don't know and go to him.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by sykeirl
    Just find a doctor you don't know and go to him.

agreed

• Advertisement
Advertisement