Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ocasional crashing

• 23-09-2003 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

A friend asked me to look a pc problems he is having.

His system is running WinXP Pro however it has been upgraded from winME.
    When the system boots up and goes to the desktop it crashes (Blue screen of death).
    If I reboot the system then it's fine. The problem only seems to arrise when the
    system is shut down (turned off like) and then booted back up.
    This problem only started he says in the latest week and he could only think of one program which he installed before it happened. It's called Alcohol 50% or something is for copying DVD's. It came on some PCplus magazine cd or similiar. I've removed the program but it makes no difference.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Run a virus scan and use scandisk on the hdd.

CombatCow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Refragment the hdd and get one of those registry cleaner thingies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

have the same problem and checked the fault history of the machine and think it's a thing called 'ACPI' , there's several posts about it on the boards.ie

Advertisement