Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom boradband problem please help :)

• 23-09-2003 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hey all,

The other day my exchange (hetifield in cork) was finally upgraded for brodband. Straight away I rang up eircom to get set up. After the line test they told me I had failed because I was "too far from the exchange". I told her that i was infact only around 100m from it and that could not be the prob .....then they told me it was because of the copper wireing ....I then got both pf my neighbours on either side to do the test and they both passed straight away! I have been told that all the copper wireing was done at the same time and that they are all the same so that couldnt be the problem.

I have seen one or 2 cases of this already posted and those people were able to (after alot of complaining) get the installation done.

Do any of ye know if there is some kind of list of users that eircom have (former no limits customers are something) that they dont wasnt to upgrade? ....cause I know there is no way that what they are telling me is actually correct .....any help/advice would be appreciated,

thanx :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Try a different company. I contacted utv failed the line test, 3 weeks later utv gave me broadband!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 w3bby

I rang up esat a while agao and they said they'd send me out the application form , the bad thing is u have to put your eircom a/c number on the form so that meas they'll probably check with eircom about the test results .....they'll say i failed :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

All the line tests come from Eircom anyway w3bby, but Eircom Net's "standard" is way higher than the other ISP's. Just try what Pataman suggests and see what happens.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

get iol cian ;)

I suppose I;ll just have to keep pestering eircom for a while cause I am 100% sure that that copper wire excuse is bull cause all ofmy direct neighbours can ge it.

If that fails I suppose I'll have to try elsewhere but really its the esat offer that suits me best price wise HEHE ..oh well

thanx for yere help :)

of theres any1 else that got that excuse from eircom and managed to get on could they please reply too :)

• Advertisement

Be warned: You'll need to do a lot of work to get Eircom to follow through on this. Search for poster "shinzon" on the IrelandOffline board to see just how much. Why are you so keen on the Eircom product anyway? Why support the pack of sh1tes that left your line rot in the first place?

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

taken me six months just to het them to fix a fault on the line thats supposedly interfering with me getting broadband, theyve fixed this now and im waiting on them to get back to me with the results of the retest for broadband

was supposed to get back to me yesterday to give me the results, did they, ohhhhhhh noooooooo, so back on to pestering them today, just left another message for the customer care manager to get back to me with any news on the bloody thing.

but they wont get rid of me, im so close now i can taste it, of course theres always the other side of the coin where even if it is fixed theres no guarantee itll pass

But hey thats life innit

Shin

lol ..theres no way I'm gonna supposrt eircom , i'll be getting the esat bb or maybe netsource ....probably esat though. Its just esat go by ercoms tests so i gotta sort this problem out...its really pissing me off though ..been waiting 2.5 years for the feckers to finally be able to offer me bb and now they give me this crap. I'll give them another ring pissing them off i suppose...

I'm just hoping with enugh complaints etc.... to manegers over at eircom i'll have this prob sorted soon.

lol ..i'll give them a ring now again so and post any progress...lol ..

You could always employ shinzon to do it. Shinzon, I see a whole new career path for you: DSL-Capable Telephone Line Management Consultant.

Cross my palm with silver.

adam

lol .. maybe on the submission form for esat i'll try and bluff it by not puttig down the eircom a/c number and maybe they'll just try and install anyway ..i've heard of 1 or 2 cases where people were able to bluff the test and then get a perfect dsl connection installed

• Advertisement

lol ...well , after a good while on the phine ..and after getting a "complaints" number off an eircom guy that didnt work i finally got through to some techinical support there ....but they didnt know what a copper wire was!...lol so that wasnt much help :(

I've heard that lot of people have bluffed the line test and gotten the connection installed , if any1 has done this / knows how to do it... hehe ...could they please post :)

thanx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

w3bby, as i said earlier, i failed the test yet still got bb. Try www.u.tv abd see what they say. €ircon are restesting the lines all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 griffzino

Keep at Eircom

My line failed last week and passed this week, try and pressure them to do a new 'live' test & plug out all electrical stuff.

Ring 1901 & speak to the local engineer (get the no.).

The guy I got on to was dead-on and helped get a new test done.

cool , i just got my local enginears number so hopefully he'll be able to help me out :)

My neighbour get eircom bb today so now they have no excuse....lol

Is the esat bb the best value for money at the mo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

Originally posted by w3bby

My neighbour get eircom bb today so now they have no excuse....lol

Is the esat bb the best value for money at the mo?

Best value: buy a Wireless Access Point/Router, put it in your neighbour's house and chip in 20 quid a month to DSL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

Webby
    How did you get the local engineers number?
    Im also on the hettyfield exchange getting the same bull**** from eircom.Except they told me when an exchange is upgraded that it causes the line test to fail, ring back in a month, utter bull**** i presume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Guys one point on this - as has been pointed out many times - the test can fail as a result of internal wiring issues in your house and/or as a result of devices attached, including caller id displays, display phones, internal line splitters, junction boxes etc.

The advice that appears to work is - remove everything from the line, all the extensions, all the crap and if necessary all the wiring beyond the first eircom socket. And leave nothing other than one plain old non-display phone connected until the test is repeated.

Your engineer contact may be able to tell you when the test is due, which will lessen the inconvenience of disconnecting everything.

And butter up that engineer chap. If this is a more complicated problem, his personal interest is your only chance.

And while you are at it, if you do get to have a good conversation with him, would you ever suss him out about the lines in that exchange, i'd be interested to know. The last engineer i spoke with said there is a major issue with some of the lines in Hetyfield, and that (amazingly, given that its not an old exchange) some of the lines may not even be copper.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

Not copper? I heard about this in England , a fella I know was saying his line wasnt copper nad couldnt get adsl he said BT the cheap bastards used some other metal to save money.

I have pretty much nothing connected to my line as it is, and another thing that makes me think my line is in good condition is that I always get good pings to CS servers in England if I fiddle with rates I can get 100-120 ms this doesnt seem like a bad line ***.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭query

In most of the Western worls, copper is used. AFAIK Ireland's network is 100% copper (excluding obviously where fibre is used). There is some aluminium in the UK, but primarily aluminium is used in eastern Europe

• Advertisement

Originally posted by De Rebel
    And butter up that engineer chap. If this is a more complicated problem, his personal interest is your only chance.
    Absolutely, this is hugely important. Bung the engineer(s) a few quid or a bottle of whiskey when they do any reasonably substantial amount of work for you. Yes, we shouldn't have to do this, but believe me, it's worth it.

And while you are at it, if you do get to have a good conversation with him

Another piece of advice is to avoid dissing the company out of hand, they react in different ways to it and it's very easy to walk yourself into insulting them inadvertently. Remember, these are the grunts on the ground, they have to do what they're told. It's not their fault the person telling them is a muppet with a clue deficiency. If in doubt, call the management a bunch of wank3rs, that's usually fairly safe.

And don't get too technical with them, they're experts at what they do so you'll just end up looking and feeling like a moron. In fact the opposite tack is usually a much better approach, play down your knowledge and ask questions if they appear open to it. This is generally a good rule of thumb when dealing with anybody technical. People like to show off. As you can see. :)

would you ever suss him out about the lines in that exchange, i'd be interested to know. The last engineer i spoke with said there is a major issue with some of the lines in Hetyfield and that (amazingly, given that its not an old exchange) some of the lines may not even be copper

I have my doubts about aluminium lines, but one engineer I spoke to - perhaps the same guy - reckoned the same. He just blamed it on old copper and damp though. It's also worth remember that Hettyfield is just a concentrator.

I had a beauty a couple of months ago, my line went west so I had to go through the usual rigmarole of "no, the problem isn't in my gaff; yes, I know that if he comes out I'll have to pay" and it turned out that someone had switched the line over to a different block in the exchange.

Why did this happen? Because they had to send the circuit map up to Dublin so they could bring it into their system. Obviously they haven't heard of photcopiers. Course, he could have been making it up, but still... :)

adam

How exactly can I get them to do a live test where i plug out everything ..cause the stupid eircom woman on the phone keeps on just saying that the line failed and theres nothing else I can do about it. Is there a special number u ring to get a live line test? and do u know exactly when they are doing it so u can unplug everything?

Advertisement