Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Processor Matching

• 23-09-2003 4:10pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've two Poweredge 2300's Single processor (latest BIOS allegedly supports 1GB)

Both have what appears to be the same CPU 500MHz
    P3,500,KATMAI / x86 Family 6 Model 7 Stepping 3

Is it enough for them to be the same speed, model and stepping to match to use dual processors - or do I need to worry about the Size of Cache 512Kb or other strange stuff ??

If I need to worry about the cache - can I just leave the current NT 256Kb setting in place ??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

ideally they should be matched, but a bit like RAID it will only be as good as the double of the lower of the two. Ie 1xPIII450 & 1x pIII500 = 2xPIII450

luckily slot one CPU's have the cache clearly marked on em.

chances are it will be fine

Advertisement