Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestion - Free Text Messaging Service on boards

Options
  • 23-09-2003 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭

Ok, this is just an idea, but wouldn't it be nice to be able to send a few free text messages from boards.ie every month?

I'm a vodafone customer, and can only send text messages to other vodafone customers through vodafone.ie however, I want to be able to send em to my pals with O2 and Meteor, but can't.

Perhaps ye guys in Admin could put your heads together and come up with such a service.

PLease..............!!!!!!!!!

Memphis
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

That would be nice, but how do we pay for that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Magic money ecksor. Would you like some?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭oneweb

Memphis, there's an interconnect fee for the use of Vodafone's service. Other websites that offer the service either charge the user or get funds from other paid services they offer.

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

just use icq or something.
    or buy some damn credit you freeloader!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

How about making it a subscriber feature.

• Advertisement

In all seriousness, this would be a good suggestion if it could be implemented as a commercial feature, perhaps via the existing subscriber system or an entirely new system. I for one would think very seriously about subscribing to such a service if it was interoperable across all networks. (This is the problem with the O2 and Vodafone systems, the recipient has to be on the same network.)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

And guess who deals in bulk and premium rate SMS here and would be happy to help (neg.) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Originally posted by dahamsta
    (This is the problem with the O2 and Vodafone systems, the recipient has to be on the same network.)

adam

If i am not mistaken O2 messages can be sent to any number in Ireland.

Well unless i have been mighty lucky in sending them to 087 numbers for the past while.

Jesus that reminds me i must pay my bill.

Originally posted by The Corinthian
    And guess who deals in bulk and premium rate SMS here and would be happy to help (neg.) ;)
    I was trying to be discreet ****. :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I dislike the idea of sending text messages via computer. Trying to understand the damn things when they were sent from another phone is bad enough, but the potential addition of "OMG LOL!!!!!!11" and all its friends horrifies me in no small way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

****, you slut.

I'll talk to you about this later :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Originally posted by The Corinthian

The question remains.... how do we collect the cash from the users to BUY your bulk sms.... ?

I dunno if people will buy a load of them upfront by credit card...

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Guess who'll be getting some head tonight..... :)

You're a lucky man ****

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Regi
    ****, you slut.
    Whats new? His pricing structure? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

(This is the problem with the O2 and Vodafone systems, the recipient has to be on the same network.)

You can actually send to any network with 02 its pretty handy really.

I personally wouldnt mind the service but i generally dont go over my 500 free web text with 02 in a month.
    Perhaps you could host that script that allows you to use the 02 service with your own 02 account. As well *** i'd be alot happier send it via something hosted on boards rather than on some random anonymous website.

About O2: I'd forgotten that, but I'm with Vodafone so unfortunately it's useless to me. (Incidentally, I still have access to my O2 account, even though I moved over a year ago. Odd that. Sadly it's useless except for messages that don't require a reply.)

You'll probably get the odd addict to lash out a half-ton, but I can't see most people paying more than a tenner. There are other ways of doing it though, the simplest being a requested or scheduled premium text (for subscriptions). Does **** not like to talk about work at home? ;)

Phuck it, if you're not going to do it, I will. ****, drop me a line! :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by DeVore
    The question remains.... how do we collect the cash from the users to BUY your bulk sms.... ?
    Aye, that’s the rub. Not really my rub, though, mind you.
    Consumers tend not to do so. Additionally, it depends on your demographic. I’d imagine that credit card payments would cut out a significant number of Boards.ie users, for example.
    There are other ways of doing it though, the simplest being a requested or scheduled premium text (for subscriptions).
    That can be done, although the cut that the operators take is quite sizable, thus restricting what you can realistically do with it. Advertising would be another way of funding such a service, either by allowing people to opt in to receive adverts in return for the service or tagging on a 40-character ad at the end of texts.
    Does **** not like to talk about work at home? ;)
    Not really.
    Phuck it, if you're not going to do it, I will. ****, drop me a line! :)
    Done ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭davil

Originally posted by memphis

I'm a vodafone customer, and can only send text messages to other vodafone customers through vodafone.ie however, I want to be able to send em to my pals with O2 and Meteor, but can't.

Move to O2 lad, you won't regret it. I get 500 free texts a month to all networks. And I never had one bit of trouble with my phone.

Oh, and by the way, not sure if it's still going but oceanfree.net used to give free sms to all networks if u register. Check it out.

I hate blind evangelism.

I moved from O2 because I live in a blind spot and because their customer service dropped like a stone the minute mmO2 took over. I'm hardly going to move back.

First person to mention Mozilla in this thread gets a kicking.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

You can do it
    If you ICQ it'*

Info and stuff

That said, I haven't actually used that medium of sending text messages before (god bless IRC :) ) but AFAIK you can send texts to any network anywhere in the world.

*btw, yes you can kick 7 shades of shite out of me for coming up with that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

I use ICQ for sending SMS messages, it was pretty hard to set up but once you get it working it's easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by swiss
    You can do it If you ICQ it'*
    And the spam implications?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

The online world is filled with spam. I'm almost immune to it by now. I hate SMS spam though :mad: . It's one thing to shut down the odd popup (on the college machines), it's quite another to have to read a text you receive that you subsequently find out to be spam.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by memphis
    Ok, this is just an idea, but wouldn't it be nice to be able to send a few free text messages from boards.ie every month?

Oh, my heart bleeds for you, really, it does.
    FFS get ICQ and you can send sms to voda, meteor and o2 and it doesn't cost you a thing and there's not limits on messages sent.

It a bit leechy to be asking boards to do it, they're not made of money you know.

Originally posted by Victor

I've been using ICQ sms since it started about 2 years ago, and i've never got any spam to my phone number, and the people I text from it have never gotten any.

The IOL/Oceanfree one, however, DOES send you spam, unless you opt out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Originally posted by eth0_
    I've been using ICQ sms since it started about 2 years ago, and i've never got any spam to my phone number, and the people I text from it have never gotten any.

The IOL/Oceanfree one, however, DOES send you spam, unless you opt out.
    I thought ICQ had been around a lot longer than 2 years. In relation to spam I think it's more of the e-mail variety than the SMS one that was being referred to.

Originally posted by Hobart
    I thought ICQ had been around a lot longer than 2 years. In relation to spam I think it's more of the e-mail variety than the SMS one that was being referred to.

Erm, I never said ICQ had only been around for 2 years. And how on earth would people get spammed to their email addresses when you're sending an *sms* to their *phone*?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Originally posted by eth0_
    Erm, I never said ICQ had only been around for 2 years. And how on earth would people get spammed to their email addresses when you're sending an *sms* to their *phone*?
    I thought you said "I have been using icq sms since it started 2 years ago"? And AFAIK you have to register with them for the SMS service, which requires a valid e-mail address. I could be wrong about the e-mail address, but I'm nearly positive. MTN are the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by Hobart
    I could be wrong about the e-mail address, but I'm nearly positive. MTN are the same.

Unless they have recently changed their service, you are wrong.
    MY ICQ sms service is just run off the ICQ client. Didn't need to register anything. (its not always the most reliable sms service mind you).

• Advertisement
Advertisement