Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

~Tolkin~

Options
  • 24-09-2003 5:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭

I am new to learning all the pagan beliefs. In my studies of different ideas/beliefs. I've come across this site:

http://www.eskimo.com/~ouija/rqcult_odin.htm

On this site it shows the forming of Nine Worlds, Does anyone else seem to think maybe J.R.R. Tolkien was pullin from these beliefs when writing Lord of the Rings? Maybe he was a follower of some pagan ideas? Just though it was rather intresting. By NO means am I insinuating that he is making fun or poking at pagan ideas. I just thought it was a thought??
    :rolleyes:
    ~DR~

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Tolkien had a very deep love of the land.
    You have to remember he grew up during the coal industrial revaluation in Britain.

Strip mining was the most ' efficient ' way
    so get coal from the land, smog was everywhere. There were woods where he grew up and he hated when he had to move to the city when his father died.

Toilkien was in a devoted catholic, he converted in order to marry and love the mystries and rites of the Latin mass.

The rape of the Land by Saruman in the two towers) portrayed so graphical and well in the film) was all about the evil of using the earth as we see fit with no reverence and thought of the futures and what we are destroying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭DriftingRain

The rape of the Land by Saruman in the two towers) portrayed so graphical and well in the film) was all about the evil of using the earth as we see fit with no reverence and thought of the futures and what we are destroying.

Seems logical;)
    I still say DAMMED Saruman!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Also remember that Tolkien studied and taught Old English and Old Norse. The overlaps and influences were inevitable - in a very positive way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Originally posted by DriftingRain
    I am new to learning all the pagan beliefs. In my studies of different ideas/beliefs. I've come across this site:

http://www.eskimo.com/~ouija/rqcult_odin.htm

On this site it shows the forming of Nine Worlds, Does anyone else seem to think maybe J.R.R. Tolkien was pullin from these beliefs when writing Lord of the Rings?

Tolkien studied Old Norse and Old English literature, not only was he familiar with all of them, he was the leading academic authority on quite a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭DriftingRain

WOW!!!
    I wasn't aware that he was studing Norse tradition...:D
    That does explain a few things to me. :P Seems I didn't know enough about the authors real life outside the books. That's why I brought the question here. Thanks for sharing an insight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Saw a documentary on the man near the start of the year. Apparently what he was attempting to do in the books was write out a new mythology for England and possibly even Britain.

I don't know a lot about England's history but suffice it to say it got invaded a lot, so by the time Tolkien was around there was much disparate folklore around the country. In other words depending on where you grew up you would have different myths and legends told to you.

So Tolkien made some attempt to reconcile this and draw up a new mythology by writing The Lord of The Rings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Carbiens

been ages since i read it so i cant actually remember the names of the actual clans, but in the silmarilion tolkin writes about a clan men who were the first men to make contact with the elves and the dwarfs, when hes describing them you can really see the huge influence norse and celtic folklore had on the creation of these charactures even there names are very norse or even pagan like, Beor, for example (personally my favourate tolkin characture) was, in my opinion Thor incarnate.

if you havent read the silmarilion and you're interested in the influences of tolkins creations i sincerly suggest you read it, its the finest piece of liturature i have ever laid my ands on, and now that you've made me remember all that i love about it im gonna go and read it again...right now, tnx:D

pagan like, Beor, for example (personally my favourate tolkin characture) was, in my opinion Thor incarnate.

Damn right! Feel the same!:D :horned:

Originally posted by Carbine
    but in the silmarilion tolkin writes about a clan men who were the first men to make contact with the elves and the dwarfs, when hes describing them you can really see the huge influence norse and celtic folklore had on the creation of these charactures even there names are very norse or even pagan like, Beor, for example (personally my favourate tolkin characture) was, in my opinion Thor incarnate.
    Well elves of course exist in English and Germanic folklore as those cultures' view of the sidhe. Dwarfs/Dwarves (depending on whether you use the Tolkien plural) are a big part of Germanic folklore. There really isn't any pretense otherwise. Notably in the early papers there are a good few notes on where he had decided to differ from folklore or other material - for example he was using the term "gnomes" for some time (though he later dropped that usage) and he stated that this was not related to Paracelsus' use of the same word. As such there was a strong implication that if he didn't say otherwise he was directly copying from existing folklore.

Beor I wouldn't compare so much with Thor as with the Beserks - Norse warriors who would wear bearskins and who would go into an altered state where their combat skills would improve and they would appear impervious to pain. Comparisons can be made with the "warp spasm" (is that really the best translation?) of Cú Chulainn, the mental states deliberately induced in some forms of marial arts and the degree of being "psyched up" that most of us have experienced to some degree or another.

That the Beserks (from which we get the adjective "beserk") underwent some sort of mental psyching up is pretty much undisputed. Just how much is a more debatable matter. The more extreme stories described them as taking on animal form - which may originate in a form of Shamanism since "becoming" (just what that is taken to mean varies) an animal is a common feature of Shamanism, and certainly there was some degree of ritual involved in their preparations for battle. Hence there was a large body of folklore with some degree of basis in reality about men becoming bears to fight which Tolkien drew on when creating Beorn and the other Beornings.

so good to hear that people are interested in this :)

Friendly tip, Talliesin, it's "Berserk".

Has anyone read Stephan Grundy's "Rhinegold"?
    If you havent - DO!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Ancient1
    Friendly tip, Talliesin, it's "Berserk".
    Heh, funny how if you make a mistake once you can keep on making it...

can anyone tell me some other works by tolkien?

ive read lotr, the hobbit and the silmarilion and ive bought unfinished tales but i dont know where to start on that one

so are there any more?

Originally posted by Carbine
    can anyone tell me some other works by tolkien?

ive read lotr, the hobbit and the silmarilion and ive bought unfinished tales but i dont know where to start on that one

so are there any more?

Lots, and plenty of biography, criticism, and other Tolkien-based books. here a lot of stuff was posthumously released after being edited by Christopher Tolkien, and you can find that stuff here.

I'd recommend Tree and Leaf as a non-Middle Earth book that shows a lot of his thinking about fairytales and myths, and also in terms of this thread's topic Myth & Middle-Earth: Exploring the Medieval Legends Behind J.R.R. Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" which explores the basis of Tolkien's work in terms of European mythology, as DriftingRain said.

well i was really looking for works actually by tolkien, but i'll look out for those too

Em, most of the first link, all of the second link, and the third link are by Tolkien.

oh ok, sorry and tnx:o :p

Advertisement