Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ram killed my mother board?

Options
  • 24-09-2003 8:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭

I got some new ram this week 256mb of "pc2100 dimm ddr basic series". I opened my computer and put the ram into slot 2. Slot one allready has 512mb of pc2100. I turned on computer it booted up all right but it still told me i had 512mb of ram. So i turned it off and put it in my last slot which is 3. But as i was puting in the ram im sure i turned the ram around " it looked to me as if it did not matter how u put the ram in " I turned it on and noting happened. After 20secs i got a smell so i pluged it out stright away. I opened the computer again took out the new ram and i noticed that it was very hot and that was only have about 20sec of the machine running.

Well i restarted computer but noting worked what so ever. I heard no beeps nor did the montor turn on. The lights did not flash on the keyboard. All that worked was the psu the harddrive which i could hear and my cd drives.

So all that i could think was that yes there must be 2 sides to the ram. And i had put the ram into my computer the wrong way. When i say there is 2 sides i mean the pins were all pointing down but i just turned/fliped it 180 but i still had all the pins turned down.

So my mother board dead ? what can i do ? What did i blow ? Or did infact i buy the wrong ram from my computer ?

Today im right pissed off, something that should have been so easy has been a disaster :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

Well there should be gaps in the lines of pins. Then on the slots on the motherboard there are corresponding gaps, so the ram can only ever fit in one way. I don't think you could have put it in backwards without a incredible amount of force.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

No i did not force it in, It just cliked into the computer the way it should. But on the ram u have 2sides and i was wondering does it matter what side is facing the psu or the cd's.I did not turn it upside as i knew it would not have clicked in.

Could i have bought the wrong ram ? Is not pc2100 all the same ? Maybe there was something wrong with my slot 3 and when putting the ram in it fryed my computer?

Im really just wondering does anyone know where i went wrong. Or maybe what i did was right and computer just died. Also could i have damged any other componest on the computer eg like my 512mb of ram or my video card ??

Any adavice or help would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

Maybe try contacting the RAM or motherboard maker to see if anything like that could have happened. Maybe it was a faulty 3rd slot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

If contacting either manufacturer under no circumstances tell them what you did. From the way you described it there they will assume you broke it and tell you to stick it. If the machine is still under warranty tell them you turned it on and got the burning smell and then turned it off and it hasn't worked since.

As regards the RAM just say it never worked out of the box and when you get the replacement DIMM get someone whose done it before to fit it.

Advertisement