Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISPCC welcomes Microsoft chatroom plan

Options
  • 24-09-2003 9:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

"ISPCC welcomes Microsoft chatroom plan
    24/09/2003 - 08:05:36

The Irish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children has welcomed a statement from the computer giant Microsoft promising to shut down most of the internet chat rooms under its control.

Microsoft said the move was prompted by fears that these chat rooms were being used by paedophiles.

The facilities are due to be shut down on October 14.

Microsoft plans to shut almost all the chatrooms it operates through its MSN web sites in 34 countries.

The only chatrooms which will continue either have their content monitored for inappropriate messages or will be run on a subscription basis, allowing users to be easily traced.

A service will continue for free in New Zealand, Australia, Brazil, Canada and Japan but the contents of the chatrooms will be monitored.

The US will run a subscription-only service which requires users to disclose their credit card details."

Hmmm. I feel the ISPCC have been hoodwinked into welcoming this publicity stunt.

Whe will organisations in this country realise that this internet is not inherently evil?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭jerk

if you use an msn chatroom you deserve to be buggered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

I see the Irish Times report on the subject today says: "Other popular chatrooms in Ireland include Ireland on-line, Boards.ie and Yahoo UK/Ireland".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Hah, since when did MS give a ****e. They weren't making money on the chatrooms, so the obvious thing to do is make a big fuss about how unsafe they are to differentiate them from the subscription-based ones they want to bring in.

Teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

WEH WEH! TEH INTORWEB IS EVIL! LOCK UP YORE CHILDREN!

On a more serious note, this move does certainly seem reactionary. I don't know if MSN chatrooms in particular were focal points for paedophile stalkers, but a little education and supervision in relation to allowing children access to these chatrooms would have been a preferable alternative to this kind of ban.

I never bothered to use MSN chatrooms myself, or if I did it might have been on a very rare occasion. Sadly, I think that other chatrooms are going to follow Microsoft's example in order to avoid possible litigation. As long as it doesn't happen to quakenet IRC, I should be okay :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Shouldn't this post be moved to the 'Sci/Tech' area?

bwt, didn't know that Boardsie had a chat room? I don't uses them as I believe they're the work of the devil

Advertisement