Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting old Film to VHS

• 24-09-2003 9:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭

I have previously got 8mm film converted to VHS in the Camera Centre on Grafton Street. However I also have a film which is straight from the original "camcorder" (or whatever those things were called back in the 80s). I'm not sure what format this is. I brought the tape to the Camera Centre and they said they can't convert it to VHS. Does anyone know of somewhere I could get this done. Sorry for the lack of technical detail but I just don't know any of them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭str8_away

Most of camcorder in the 80's would use VHSC.
    If your tape is VHSC then
    1)
    You can simply get an adaptor for it to play in your VHS player.
    Here is an example of it.
    http://www.savingsdream.com/cgi-win/dream55.exe/~p006000006367

2)
    If you want to convert it yourself, simply connect the camcorder and VHS player/recorder together. Using your camcorder to play the tape and VHS machine to record. The picture quality might degrade a bit depend on your VHS machine.

If you do not have a VHSC camcorder I can convert for you if you wish. The only thing is that I have not use the machine for a long while, not sure if it still working, but I will check it tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

Hi str8_away,
    First-off, thanks for the reply.
    I think the tape may be in the format before VHSC. I have a modern camcorder myself which uses Hi-8 tapes. The old tape I need converted is about twice the size of the Hi-8. Also, I'm pretty sure that the old camcorder doesn't actually play tapes, it just records. We're talking about some seriously old tape here!
    Anyways if you have any other ideas, let me know. Thanks again for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭str8_away

Sorry can't help mauch.
    Here is website maybe you can find out what the format is.
    http://www.high-techproductions.com/formats.htm

Advertisement