Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamecube Price drop!!

Options
  • 24-09-2003 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭

GameCube to drop under €100/£70 on October 1. And there was reports on Gamescenteral on Channel 4 this morning that games will also drop to £15.

If this really happens, i might grab myself a GC and some games.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Everythings dropping, but the Gamecube has the biggest one.

You didn't see me ...right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

i'll pick up a gamecube for sure if it drops below 100 and the games drop in price also .

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Len_007

Have a GC, but if this drop applies to the other consoles as said, an X-box might be the order of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Jesus then a GBA SP will be more expensive than a Gamecube. Maybe this is a hint of the end of the nintendo console era :(.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭jerk

well if nintendo had even tried to compete with the rest of the consoles they wouldn't be ni this mess, their own fault.
    The only game I would want to play on it would be Zelda.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭savemejebus

The gamecube is a great piece of Kit, it the panasonic Q was released there it's possible that the gamecube could have competed properly with the PS2 and Xbox, but still don't count it out just yet, the price drop in the uk a few months ago did it world of good and there are still great games in development, I bought the metroid pack in xtravision a few months back for 159 and then got a bunch of games in dixons for €15 , it was well worth it and looking back i'd have got it just for rogue squadron and resi-evil remake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭jerk

no dvd playback, no cigar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Giblet whats that game with the top down shooter, black and white stuff, ah buy it for that alone. Love that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

while it's great for the consumer initially, in the long term it's only gonna be bad for nintendo :/

even the dreamcast didn't drop in price this much when it was officially supported :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by DapperGent
    Link?

GI.biz's view on the story - http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=ret&aid=2269

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by Stormfox1020
    Jesus then a GBA SP will be more expensive than a Gamecube. Maybe this is a hint of the end of the nintendo console era :(.
    I was of the impression that the GC was pretty much end of line about a year ago? I know Argos and some other retailers dropped price 'cos of poor sales last year (the result was a higher interest in the console, and a bit of a lifeline).

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭sod

Originally posted by Gideon
    Giblet whats that game with the top down shooter, black and white stuff, ah buy it for that alone. Love that game.
    eh, not giblet but i reckon you're on about Ikaruga, changing your ships shield colour and all that jazz. it makes eyes water at 20 paces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Eh, what dixons was selling GC games for 15 euro??
    I'm there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

savemejebus,
    looking back i'd have got it just for rogue squadron and resi-evil remake

same here , that is what i will get one for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

does the gc have any good footie games. If so I'm gettin one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Originally posted by sod
    eh, not giblet but i reckon you're on about Ikaruga, changing your ships shield colour and all that jazz. it makes eyes water at 20 paces.

cheers, yeah was playing it at that darkside thing and they had the tele turned on its side. Ah thought it was brillo. Monkey ball was good against people too. Ah like the simple games or racing games, and streetfighter on consoles, leave the strategy and 3dshooters to the pc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i remember hearing murmerings about a selection of games being added to the budget line up as well, can't remember what they were tho.

soul calibur 2, resi 0, 1 & 4, metroid prime, burnout 2, mario sunshine, zelda & twin snakes here i come...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Wow, thats a damn competitive move on Nintendo's part. I mean, you could buy a Gamecube and a few games for the price of a PS2 or Xbox (however Microsoft may be forced to follow suit). Hopefully this will shake up the market a little.

Nevertheless, its hard to remove the feeling of worry for Nintendo and their place in home consoles, hopefully this will provide a turn around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

The gamecube will become the *console* of choose for skint students!!

I'll definitly get one if the reports are true. I asked in GAME and Blanch and they didn't have a clue. But the staff wouldn't to next week.

• Advertisement

Hey Crimson Ghost,

Most of the dixons group (PC World, Currys and Dixons) in limerick sold off their Gamecube games really cheaply around a4 months ago, prices ranged from €10 to €19.99. I bought Resi Evil (the best) for 19.99, wrestlemanicrap IX for 9.99. fifa 2003 for 9.99(dogs naughtybits with surround sound), a james bond game (agent under fire i think) for 15. They had luigis mansion for 9.99, animal crossing for 9.99 and rogue leader for 10.99!! but when i tried to buy rogue leader they couldn't find the disc, typical eh

Don't know what the story is now down there but I was in game in limerick during their sale and all the crap games bmxXXX, legends of wrestling etc. were only 6.99

Originally posted by savemejebus
    animal crossing for 9.99

WTF!!! Animal Crossing??

Originally posted by Gideon
    cheers, yeah was playing it at that darkside thing and they had the tele turned on its side. Ah thought it was brillo.
    telly on its side? did that not fúck up the controls, cos then stick up = onscreen forward/right. Is there an option in Ikaruga to play left to right rather than bottom to top?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

It's officially down to US $99 now.

If it did go down to 99 yoyos, wonder what they'd have to drop the GBA SP price down to ... I know the two aren't in competition or anything but it would look a bit silly if the SP stayed at 140 ...

Games for the Cube are a lot cheaper too what with the "platinum" range

Sod,

When i had my GC ages, some nintendo mag had a plasma tv on its side playing it. You'd fighting up the length of the screen. The mag even gave advice on when to turn on the screen as if you turn it on straight away you could damaged it.

clownboy,

oh right, i was thinking in terms of square telly not widescreen, doing that would make the game pretty cool alright, so there is an option in Ikaruga to display it sideways on screen while keeping same controls? i was thinking people were doing it so as to play it as a sidescroller due to preference or whatever.

i'm assuming the damage that could be caused was cos of using a plasma? they're finicky at best. i hear you have to buy refills for the gas thats inside em every 3-4 years and they cost loads (i could be way off on this one though)

The damage was turning it back on straight after moving it. The gas have to set or something for a well. Looked amazing in the mag.

Must've of been one expensive TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Originally posted by jerk
    no dvd playback, no cigar.

isn't that what dvd players are for?

yeah but to compete with PS2 and Xbox dvd playback woulda been cool, thats why they should have launched the panasonic cube here, they'd have cleaned up cos lots of people would have bought that over an Xbox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Originally posted by sod
    Is there an option in Ikaruga to play left to right rather than bottom to top?

Yes.

Advertisement