Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamecube Price drop!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

The gamecube is a good piece of kit, with some pretty decent original games, and if they do in fact drop the price id recommend getting one just for rogue squadron 2 alone plus 3 when its out in november :)
    Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Smircher

Hmm, was thinking of getting myself a cube for Christmas....this has probably sealed it.

Rogue Squadron 2 and 3....you shall be mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by sod
    clownboy,

i'm assuming the damage that could be caused was cos of using a plasma? they're finicky at best. i hear you have to buy refills for the gas thats inside em every 3-4 years and they cost loads (i could be way off on this one though)

I assure you thats a load of horse$hit. If by "finicky" you mean they break if you drop them, then yes your correct, but I dunno why anyone would think dropping or mishandling something with over 1 metre of exposed glass is a good idea.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

R.I.P

Nintendo

Sadly another victim of
    the console wars.
    They served us well but
    as life goes nothing lasts
    Forever.

God Bless its Soul

1980--2003

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Stormfox1020
    R.I.P
    what???
    do you seriously think this is going to bury nintendo?
    i for one will be picking a gamecube up at this bargain price, as will thousands like me, this is just the kick up the arse the console needs to get back in the running.
    and lets not forget the gba...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Just learned that EIDOS interactive have dropped the gamecube as a development platform, dunno whether thats a bad thing considering the disaster that was Tomb raider angel of darkness

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Originally posted by savemejebus
    yeah but to compete with PS2 and Xbox dvd playback woulda been cool

With a DVD player built in surly the GC would have been more expensive - and definitely a good bit bigger (to fit the disks even). It's completely unnecessary if you ask me. I bought a game console to play games, not movies.

I haven't watched a film on an X-BOX (you have to buy extra kit, right?), but the PS2 is a lousy DVD player. Certainly ships thouse units though :rolleyes:

€99 is a bargin. GC may not have the most games, but from what I've played across all platforms it (probably) has the best.

...slashdot is reporting that Microsoft are going to follow Sony's price lead, not Nintendo's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Originally posted by Stormfox1020
    R.I.P

Nintendo

Sadly another victim of
    the console wars.
    They served us well but
    as life goes nothing lasts
    Forever.

God Bless its Soul

1980--2003

What a really intelligent and insightful thing to say!

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Hopefully at this price the GC will swamp the Irish market and we'll soon be seeing all the games we'd have to import for sale here. :)

And yet I've a strange feeling that I last had when I was standing by my proud ol' Amiga...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Sico, id make a great advertising campaign manager for nintendo huh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

The cube is the only choice for good, ORIGINAL games. It might not have the quantity, but it has quality oozing from every orofice.
    Lets hope with this price reduction the rest of the games buying public can tear themselves away from playing "Generic car stealing bullet time shooting undercover cop with a shadowy past" Ps2 Crap 'em up long enough to realise what a truly great console the Cube is. To any cube doubters all i say is:

METROID PRIME.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

Metroid Prime isn't original, it's a sequel. Sorry. I'd still love to play it, and really, really wanna get a gamecube. But the Gamecube has carbon-copy forgettables same as any other machine. It's just it's smaller % wise, as the gamecube has less games out. A lot of the gamecube greats are sequels: Zelda, Mario, Smash Bros. Metroid etc, etc, you get the pic. This was all argued extensively in a previous thread. Every format has great, good, and crap games. It's just a case of not being biased or fanboyish, and looking.

Still, if the price does drop, i'll definately pick one up, and complete my console collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The cube is the only choice for good, ORIGINAL games.

Poppycock. You want originality? Take a look at Freakout, Frequency, ICO or Rez.

The PS2's catalogue is so great that it caters for practically every taste better than either of two consoles. Neither the GC or XBox are essential purchases for gamers wishing to experience a certain type of game.

And yeah, Metroid Prime is great. It's been in my GamCube even since I bought it on release day. Although... that could be because there's been shag all else released worth buying since then until this week.

Originally posted by TheSonOfBattles
    Metroid Prime isn't original, it's a sequel.

I didnt mean original as in the first of a series, i meant original as in it did something different within the FPS genre.
    Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan
    Poppycock. You want originality? Take a look at Freakout, Frequency, ICO or Rez.

I took a look at those games sometime last year. Freakout may have been original, but it was also piss poor. Frequency is just a rhythm action game. ICO was great, i loved every minute of it. Rez was cool, but hardly an original PS2 game as it was released on Dreamcast first. And you could finish it in an evening.
    The PS2 doesnt have any FPS's that can even compare to Metroid, it doesnt have a platformer that can touch mario sunshine, or an action adventure/rpg to touch Wind waker. And Resident Evil on the cube is done a milion times better than the PS2 ever could.
    I love my Ps2, but its showing its age something terrible nowadays, and tho it has cool games, you can only shout "GTA!" for so long. You might say "Gamecube has had f*uck all come out since metroid!" But in all honesty, whats come out on PS2 lately? Def jam vendetta? Tomb raider?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

ah ffs, i've just been over at a mates gaff playing vice city on his ps2 all night, bleurgh!
    its made me appreciate the pc & cube so much more than i already did!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I took a look at those games sometime last year. Freakout may have been original, but it was also piss poor.

Oh right. Your well-reasoned argument has won me over! Freakout may have had it's flaws, but it wasn't piss-poor by any stretch of the imagination.
    Frequency is just a rhythm action game.

Then by your logic, Metroid is just a FPS, and Monkeyball is just a platrofmer.
    Rez was cool, but hardly an original PS2 game as it was released on Dreamcast first.

You miss my point. You argued that the GameCube was the only choice for "good, original games", yet you've just contradicted yourself. I agree that the GameCube has played host to original games, but to say it's the only choice for gamers seeking original games is absurd.
    And you could finish it in an evening.

You could beat Pikmin in an evening too, you know.
    The PS2 doesnt have any FPS's that can even compare to Metroid, it doesnt have a platformer that can touch mario sunshine, or an action adventure/rpg to touch Wind waker. And Resident Evil on the cube is done a milion times better than the PS2 ever could.

I'll agree on the Metroid point. It is a truly original game. Zelda is, well, Zelda. I could equally say find an RPG in the same vein as KOTOR or Final Fantasy on the GameCube - you can't.

However, for an alternative to Super Mario Sunshine, fantastic as it is, try Jak & Dexter. No really, try it.

And, on an argument on originality, why are bringing up an update of an eight year old game? I'd like to stress that I'm not trying to say that the PS2 or Xbox is better than the GameCube, simply that originality is spread across the three platforms.
    I love my Ps2, but its showing its age something terrible nowadays
    Again, if we're arguing about originality, why are you referring to the hardware?
    and tho it has cool games, you can only shout "GTA!" for so long.

Wait a second, are you trying to say the GameCube has a stronger games catalogue than the PS2?
    You might say "Gamecube has had f*uck all come out since metroid!" But in all honesty, whats come out on PS2 lately? Def jam vendetta? Tomb raider?

Eye-Toy? SOCOM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Hang on... this thread isn't about the originality of the games. It's about the Gamecube dropping in price making it the perfect time to snap up one of these beauties...

Personally, I've found the Game Cube a lot more enjoyable to play than the x-box or ps2 and the games that are released on it tend to be more to my liking.

As it stands, I'd personally go for the X-Box or Cube... the Playstation has more choice but doesn't quite match the competition in their specialities. Then again, if I wanted X-Box games I'd buy a PC and wait for the ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

for the person who wanted to know about soccer games for the cube it has ISS and fifa i believe. Also to the person who said nintendo 1980 to 2003 its christmas soon and the cube looks like a cheap favourable option for a lot of people.

Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan
    Wait a second, are you trying to say the GameCube has a stronger games catalogue than the PS2?

Eye-Toy? SOCOM?

Not stonger, better. Youre thinking in terms of quantity over quality here. All im saying is for the price it is, or will soon be, the cube is a much better offer than a PS2. Face facts, PS2 is a 3 year old console and has been pretty much pushed as far as it can. Its had its hey day, and there hasnt been one triple A title released in months, and only a couple this year, if that. And im sure im not the only one here whos sick to death of the endless sequels us Ps2 owners have to put up with.
    Whereas in its first year ont he market the Cube has had Metroid, Zelda, Res evil 1 + 0, Rogue Leader, Mario sunshine etc. Most of these are first generation games, so they can only get better from here.

Socom was a mediocre team based shoot em up, no different from something like project eden, only with an internet option not many people can use, anyway, unless youve got broadband. Its a 7 out of 10 at best. Eye toy may be a fun party game, but are you telling me youre honestly gonna sit in your room on your own jumping about like a knob in front of your telly?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭TheSonOfBattles

OH MY F***ING GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you actually trying to argue that games only count as original, fun or good if they're single player?

Maybe you can't play the Eyetoy on your own. So what, that doesn't detract from the fact it's original, fun and cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

yey !

The cube down to 99 on October 17 th.

it's official

Maybe this will see it take its place as the (second) console for the masses.

Can we have a GBA SP price drop now please ?

You'll be able to get a cube and a gameboy player for near enough the price of an SP soon ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

It'll probably be the 10th for us. We usually are considered part of the UK. Since our game stores buy stock from the UK, we'll have the price drop at the same time. Hopefully!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭ronano

Erm, what happened ? why didnt it drop ? i was searching for xtravision/gamecube and came across this thread and saw it was from 03,whats the story ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭JDxtra

It did drop - to €119 (which is just about £79 sterling).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭ronano

Originally posted by jdempsey
    It did drop - to €119 (which is just about £79 sterling).

:) thanks

Advertisement