Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool V Olimpija Ljubljana

• 24-09-2003 10:58am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know if this game is is on the box tonight ???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Didn't think this game would get it's own thread:D

It's on channel 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Will depend upon the result pete, the Man United fanboys will be on about the Arsenal "assaults" here at some stage and maybe some chat about Liverpools performance may get in at the bottom of it. :)

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    Will depend upon the result pete, the Man United fanboys will be on about the Arsenal "assaults" here at some stage and maybe some chat about Liverpools performance may get in at the bottom of it. :)
    Certainly if we draw or lose there will be some deserved slagging but by then the FA will have made a decision hopefully and the renewed debate on that front will keep them occupied - we may even manage to get a sensible discussion on it :)

This is unrelated but I just realised that we have picked ourselves up from our worst start in god knows how long to only being 3 points behind the leaders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Hopefully we can get a good result away from home. I hope we play as good as squad as reasonibly possible and get a few away goals and then we can give some of the younger players a good run out back at Anfield. Perhaps he might play Le Tallec tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭rocco

And I suppose u think u are going to win the league now ??? Its ur year blah blah blah . Id just face it ur squad is no way strong enough to challenge for the lead . Kewell is being played out of position u need width and he plays him in the centre ?? The sooner the better they get rid of old hart attack boy .

• Advertisement

Originally posted by rocco
    And I suppose u think u are going to win the league now ??? Its ur year blah blah blah . Id just face it ur squad is no way strong enough to challenge for the lead . Kewell is being played out of position u need width and he plays him in the centre ?? The sooner the better they get rid of old hart attack boy .
    Considering we weren't even talking about the league and nobody came close to hinting at what you are supposing I'm guessing you have an axe to grind.

As a liverpool fan I think chelsea will win the league, if we can keep up which we are showing signs of doing at the moment I'm hoping for fourth. Anything above that is a bonus.

Kewell is not being played in the centre, don't know what gave you that idea. Himself and Djiouf are switching sides at different stages of the game making them both more difficult to mark.

You may or may not have noticed the wink at the top of that guys post. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for the moment and say he was indulging in a bit of harmless fun. Ya know highlighting how the thread could go...

BTW as pete said, Kewell and Diouf are swiching wings alot between them now and coming into the last few games very well.

I was just having a laugh I know how u liverpool fans get wound up very easily one of my mates is a fanatic but I think that they really do need an overhall of there squad .Traore and the likes need to be shown the door . I think Houllier has gone just about as far as he can with the squad .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I was just having a laugh I know how u liverpool fans get wound up very easily one of my mates is a fanatic but I think that they really do need an overhall of there squad .Traore and the likes need to be shown the door . I think Houllier has gone just about as far as he can with the squad .

I smell a Man U fan :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

You know, maybe the Man Yoo fans should get their own forum afterall - at least it would keep them away.

• Advertisement

A minute ago it was GH that needed to go, now he is staying but has to rebuild the squad? I could get confused very quickly here but I'll just point out that if liverpool fans are happy to keep what you consider to be a poor manager and squad then surely it will please you enough not to have to begrudge them.

When you say "Traore and the likes", who are "the likes" that you are refering to?

Traore ,Vignal , Biscan , Smicer they should off loaf heskey to they might still get a few quid for him and they could buy a proper strike who does what all good striker do and score goals Owen must have a pain in his arse carrying him

Traore ,Vignal , Biscan , Smicer they should off loaf heskey to they might still get a few quid for him and they could buy a proper strike who does what all good striker do and score goals Owen must have a pain in his arse carrying him
    Not sure if you've actually been watching any liverpool games lately but both Smicer and Biscan are playing and playing well.

Traore and Vignal are squad players - every team needs backup. United held on to David May for years. Also these two are both young and it is not a great idea to throw away youth players who could develop into something good.

Heskey has many critics and few fans. His fans seem to be people like Martin O'Neill, Gerard Houllier, Sven Errikson and Micky Adams. A mixed bunch you'll agree but hey, he had a good pre season had having gotten a chance in the last two games has done alright.

In terms of buying someone decent to partner Owen, Djibril Cisse is on the way.

Good going on your first day rocco. I'll make a deal with you, when you get Ferguson to dump Forlan, I'll get Houllier to dump Heskey :rolleyes:

If this is your first time here BTW you should probably read the charter.

i know I still have the clip of him when he missed the opener against Juventus on my desktop just to remind myself that there is still a chance of me becoming a pro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool should romp it but I guess the opposition will pack the defense and try to frustrate pool. Pity its not on a proper channel, I wonder do 5 have the intention of following Liverpool
    for as long as they're in the competition. Hope not or hope RTE
    get in on the UEFA cup.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

I saw this crowd ( Olimpija Ljubliana ) in their previous match against Shelbourne .... They looked very weak , Shels should have beaten them and were unlucky overall . I think Liverpool will take them apart and I've put a few bets down nothing much but a 1 euro bet for liverpool to win 5 - 0 and michael owen to score first gives odds of 100-1 ... it's unlikely but ya never know :)

Also Owen to get a hatrick is 16-1 and liverpool to win by 4 or more goals is 9-1 (all odds from paddy power )

Hopefully it'll be an entertaining rout for the scouse ....

Vignal is back on loan in France again this year along with Diarra. How this going to help Diarra get accustomed to the english league in France I sure as hell dont know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

GH has confimed that Le Tallac will start tonight.

Looking like this will be the midfield

Murphy--Gerrard--Le Tallac--Kewell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Squad as follows:

Dudek

Diao Biscan Hypia Rise

Smicer LeTellac Murphy Kewell

Heskey Owen

Resting a few players but a decent team all in all. Gwan Le Tellac:) !!

Should be a comfortable win for the Pool (and I have to go rehearsing now, so I won't be able to listen to it from the site:mad:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Posted by ppete
    Certainly if we draw or lose there will be some deserved slagging
    Posted by mike 65
    Liverpool should romp it
    posted by lizard king
    I saw this crowd ( Olimpija Ljubliana ) in their previous match against Shelbourne .... They looked very weak , Shels should have beaten them and were unlucky overall . I think Liverpool will take them apart and I've put a few bets down nothing much but a 1 euro bet for liverpool to win 5 - 0 and michael owen to score first gives odds of 100-1
    posted by shred
    should be a comfortable win for the Pool

:D:D Just seen the result but I won't spoil your enjoyment.:D :D

Lizardking next time you want to bet don.t bother with Paddy Power, i will give you double his odds ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by The Muppet

Lizardking next time you want to bet don.t bother with Paddy Power, i will give you double his odds ;)

I take back all the good things i said about u before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ha! Muppet you (dare I say deliberatly) misrepresented my post,
    I said should not should or would.....I knew it would be tricky these types of games often are.

To wit-
    Liverpool should romp it but I guess the opposition will pack the defense and try to frustrate pool

Mike.

Pool were unlucky not to score a bagful of goals but in the end they were also lucky just to have gotten the draw.

Good news is we got an away goal and also Owen broke his record.

Will wait to see more detailed reports but anyone not of the Liverpool persuasion feel free to start slagging now without the reports:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Great result against one of Europes super powers ! :rolleyes: :D

Just wondering what you thought of the difference between Souness who blasted his players for not performing and Houllier who said is was not a great performance.

I know it is the early stages and an away goal is almost as valuable as the win but would you not be expecting to be putting these teams away or "romp it" "cough cough" ;)

I did not see the match but why was LeTallc taken off for Welsh?

As he wasnt playing very well.

Infact no one really played well and it ended up as a typical Liverpool away leg against a team that had "f0rk up" written all over it and it nearly did end up as a f0rk up. Regardless barring an amazing collpase at Anfield and back on a pitch that will be better for passing than that hay field!

Yop, just a guess here but GH's comments were mildly different for GS's because Blackburn lost 3-1 whereas Liverpool got a 1-1 draw.
    They have to overturn two goals without conceding before they can avail of their away goal whereas Liverpool have to overturn nothing and go into the home leg with an away goal. In general managers wouldn't criticise their players for going all the way to eastern europe and gaining a 1-1(which is none the less disapointing).

As for Le Tellec coming off for Welsh there was only 3 minutes left when this happened and the 18 year old is less likely to be fully match fit then the others around him on the team.
    As for the match, Liverpool were poor. I didn't see any highlights but heard that they were very slow to get started and never really imposed themselves.

The worst thing about the night by far is the injury to Danny Murphy. He hasn't been used all that much this season but we were fairly thin on first choice midfielders all the same. Diao made his first full appearance back which is of some consolation although he was used in defence last night. Hopefully he has made have the improvement that Djiouf has over the summer.

Liverpool will struggle to get to the later stages of the Uefa .You heard it here first . Fair play to Owen for breaking the record imagine if he had a decent supply line it would have been done a long time ago

Liverpool will struggle to get to the later stages of the Uefa .You heard it here first . Fair play to Owen for breaking the record imagine if he had a decent supply line it would have been done a long time ago
    He's not that good is he? being liverpools top scorer in europe before even reaching his mid twenties. Then again I suppose there is a lot more easy matches in europe then there used to be - no wait, what the hell am I talking about, the pool had countless 6-1 wins in years gone by not to mention putting 9 past Derry.

You might be right about them struggling to reach later stages. I fancy manu and chelsea to be the only brittish teams to do anything decent in europe this season.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Bit early to say they will struggle based on one match, if you want to swing it the other way, then the fact that United hammered Panath. last week means they will win the CL??

*** I cannot see either Chelsea or United going past the quaters, there are a number of better teams out there, even the arse thugs could go far in the CL

??? What is To Be Honest blocked out in the short form on boards? :confused:

Originally posted by The Muppet

Yeah I must say I lost big a whole 3 euro spent in bets there ... I have to stop betting on liverpool though , they are too unpredictable ... realistically they should have scored 4 or 5 last night and won easily ... I'm confident they "should" beat them easily in Anfield though

Originally posted by LizardKing
    Yeah I must say I lost big a whole 3 euro spent in bets there ... I have to stop betting on liverpool though , they are too unpredictable ... realistically they should have scored 4 or 5 last night and won easily ... I'm confident they "should" beat them easily in Anfield though
    Like another poster pointed out yesterday, the opposition were always going to pack the defense and make things difficult. Will be harder for them to defend the KOP but Liverpool haven't been any great shakes at home over the last unfortunately...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Yeah I must say I lost big a whole 3 euro spent in bets there

No sweetied this weekend for you.

Sorry for the post guys , I tried to resist honestly I did but it was too tempting. I,m sure The Pool will hammer them in the home leg.

It'lll Be All good news after that as they won,t have to face the Mighty Shels;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

I didn't the match but according to all the reports I read, Liverpool could have won it easily but for a host of missed opportunities. Every team has there bad nights and hopefully last night was Liverpool's. On top of that half the team were second string players. Oh and why the hell is Diao (a defensive midfielder) playing right back??? :( )

• Advertisement

I missed the 1st half hour or so ... dunno why diao was there .. he was muck though ... le tallec played most of game too and was pretty quiet ... finnan when he came on did ok put in a few good crosses but the slovenians where packing the defence and it was difficult to break down .. great cross from riise to owen for the goal ... Hopefully Riise will continue to improve as he's been in a bit of a slump lately ... Kewell did well too ... I never thought I'd say this but we missed Diouf last night (is he injured/banned)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭ronanp

The mighty shels might just be on the receiving end of a good hiding tommorrow against the mightier saints :-)

Diao was giving Finnan a rest but it still seems absurd. If he is our next choice right back what the hell is Babbel doing a Blackburn?

Originally posted by ronanp
    The mighty shels might just be on the receiving end of a good hiding tommorrow against the mightier saints :-)

I dunno its in fortress tolka park ... I'd say shels will get a result (draw or win)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Originally posted by p.pete
    Diao was giving Finnan a rest but it still seems absurd. If he is our next choice right back what the hell is Babbel doing a Blackburn?
    Good feckin point p. I didnt know Diao played right back last nite til I read these posts. He was rubbish enough as a defensive midfielder last season, iirc he was brutal when he was thrown into a full-back position against Birmingham. Ah well, GH knows best. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by Space_Coyote
    Ah well, GH knows best. :rolleyes:

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I would slag Pools poor performance but its the away leg and they will beat this lot by 4 or 5 at home.
    They are a very poor team who made hard work of beating a poor Shels side so really wouldnt be to concerned about anything.

If i was GH i would have tried a mad formation with mad players playing mad postions because the away leg is just a formality.

But would like to see them lose the tie but wont happen :(

Oh come on Saints morrow night :D Proper football !!
    kdjac

If i was GH i would have tried a mad formation with mad players playing mad postions because the away leg is just a formality
    That's way too mad ! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by KdjaC
    But would like to see them lose the tie but wont happen :(

I'm a Liverpool fan and I'd like to see them lose it too. One less pointless campaign for the team to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Originally posted by p.pete

remember babble went before carra was injured, he was on a large paycheck and from what i've heard hes been piss poor for 'burn and was responsible for 1 or more of the goals they conceded in the uefa cup
    the ****er also injured baros :mad:

Originally posted by eyerer
    the ****er also injured baros :mad:

Pray tell how?? Baros's injury was sustained through the way he landed from the non descript tackle from Babbel. It was unfortunate Babbel was the one who made the tackle but hardly any contact was made.

On another note diao wasnt great last night he seemed keen to get forward which was good but forgot to track back quickly enough a lot of the time.

Originally posted by PiE
    I'm a Liverpool fan and I'd like to see them lose it too. One less pointless campaign for the team to worry about.
    I'm sorry that you feel that way. The Uefa cup is usually a good opportunity to play against half decent european teams in the later rounds.

Definitely not as good as the CL but we cant go from playing 38 league matches and being glad to get knocked out of the cups early to all of a sudden playing 70odd games in a CL season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭marct

Originally posted by PiE

In fairness- thats crazy talk. Can you honestly tell me you were'nt chuffed to bits when they won it a few years ago?

It's not like the club is loaded, the UEFA Cup is worth up to £10m with bonuses and ticket sales and other things. I know it's a pain in the arse not being in the Champions League, but there are some very good sides in the UEFA Cup this season. There's no point wanting the Pool to get knocked out of the competition early doors, the players and fans would be even more angry and disillusioned (big word of the morning) than they were after the Celtic rubbish last season.....what about Liverpool V Barcelona, UEFA Cup final 2003/2004.....not too shabby. Another 5-4 would go down well with the fans I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭manic_monster

Whats the difference between Michael Owen and a Black Cab?

A Black Cab can only carry 6 passengers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement