Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long will this Government Last?

Options
  • 24-09-2003 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭

I was talking to a friend of mine about how long this government would last. I said that it would go the full term to June 2007. He said that he was sure it will fall sooner than that. He when on to say that only for the EU Presidency it would have fallen apart by now.

What do you think?

How long do you think the FF/PD Govt. will last to? 6 votes

Before the end of the year
    0% 0 votes
    1st half of 2004
    33% 2 votes
    2nd half of 2004
    0% 0 votes
    1st H of 2005
    33% 2 votes
    2nd H of 2005
    16% 1 vote
    1st H of 2006
    0% 0 votes
    2nd H of 2006
    16% 1 vote
    Full Term
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭bloggs

Im afraid that it will serve a full term. As FF/PD's TDs are united in corruption and will not send each other down the river. They don't give to f**ks about the people of Ireland, and the people of Ireland won't stand up to them, so it's a hopless time until 2007 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

I agree with most people that this government is muck. But there's no real alternative. I'd be stunned if Bertie "Ignore any difficult questions and they'll go Away" Ahern and his buddies aren't in office for the full term.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by IgnatiusJRiley
    I agree with most people that this government is muck. But there's no real alternative. I'd be stunned if Bertie "Ignore any difficult questions and they'll go Away" Ahern and his buddies aren't in office for the full term.

Agree.

I mean just where is the opposition??.

Enda Kenny has be one of the worst Public speakers ever!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Unfortunately they will be in the full term. Tellytubby Harney and Anorak Man enjoy the taste of power too much to let their differences ruin the party.

As for the Opposition, well there isn't any really. Pat "Student Debater" Rabbitt threatens every now and then and well Enda "Please Resign" Kenny isn't really at the races (and if he was he'd end up walking into the FF tent by accident!).

Gandalf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Yes, a full term looks likely, but big cracks are appearing and in places you wouldn't expect.

The government faces implosion on a number of fronts.
    The first on the list is obviously, the PDs and there was a rumour last week that a high profile member was going to resign last week, and therefore putting the government at risk of collapse.

The second front comes from the backbenchers, or the 'large pool of talent' as Bertie would say. They, the unofficial opposition, are just chomping at the bit to get their hands upon a few junior ministry's. Would they bring down the Government? Probably, but there would have to be a leadership challenge in the offing.

And thirdly, the cabinet, who you could split up between the 'do-ers' and the 'don't-ers'. Now we can all guess who these do-ers and don't-ers are. I would count Tiny Brennen, CharlieMac and Herr Flick McDowell as 'do-ers', while Mickie Martin would be amongst the 'don't-ers'. Bertie will have to watch both camps carefully. If he sides with the 'don't-ers', a leadership challenge won't be far away. If he goes with the 'do-ers' he'll be leaving his mates behind. So either way he and the government looks to be in real difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

As much as I dislike them, I'd have to say they'll go the full term.
    They're only serving their own interests, I can only assume they don't give a toss about public opinion - they won't be giving up that handy little number they've going for a while yet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

(and if he was he'd end up walking into the FF tent by accident!).
    gandalf

It was Bertie that almost ran into Enda Kenny's camp in kerry!

If the popularity of this government continues to the local elections, Bertie could be in trouble. If Bertie goes, someone with more left wing conviction would come in his place (Cowen, Martin, Dempsey). That would cause increased friction in coalition. This government would then break up in first half of 2005, because the PDs will want to distance themselves from unpopularity and the new Fianna Fáil leadership would not be as tolerant of the right wing drive of the present government. FF would then absorb three or four independents and have their overall majority. So we'll be stuck with Fianna Fáil until 2007 anyway. Charming prospect...

Originally posted by daveirl
    They'll stay the full term, and with the support of more independents next time form the core of the next government
    That would be my assessment also.
    Next time, the independents will be in charge again though.

mm

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

i dunno, listening to some of the Dáil broadcasts on radio, Bertie is back to his baffling best. 2007

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 sorrento

I think they'll go full term, mores the pity.

Advertisement