Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Fate be decided Today

• 24-09-2003 1:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭

So the FA are going to decide what charges, if any, should be bought after the game on Sunday.

I know the other thread has discussed this in great detail but I was more looking for what people think should happen and reactions to the charges when there announced today.

What Punishment should Arsenal get 23 votes

Fine them heavily
    0% 0 votes
    Deduct them 3 Points
    17% 4 votes
    Ban Keown, Lauren, Parlour and anyone else found to have bought the game into Disrepute
    21% 5 votes
    Give them all handbags for the next round in Highbury
    60% 14 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Ban them all.

They will drop more than three points if they are missing for 3,4,5 or whatever number of matches.

If they are deducted points it will only spur them on to win the league even more to try and make up for the "injustices" and "conspicaries" against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭rocco

thats a load of crap they deserve what they get there behaviuor was disgraceful gary Neville swung a punch I believe also and he should face a ban also but the way monkey man Keown behaved and the other idiots was a joke. They dont have a bad disipline record for no reason if there manager recognised they had a problem and stopped making excuses maybe his team might get a grip on themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I went for the banning option but if Arsenal have 3 or 4 players in trouble in addition to Vieras sending off then I reckon the club could also get fined for not being able to control their players.

Worst (best depending on viewpoint) case scenario would be 5 bans + vieras ban plus points deducted. Not entirely impossible but highly unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

I dont think they should be deducted points, but the players involved should be banned for 3/4 games. I also think the club should be fined for consistent shenanigans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

6 Arsenal and 2 United players to be charged. Breaking news...

• Advertisement

Its 5 arsenal and 3 utd, arsenal also have a punishment, no other details yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I went for bans.... Deducting three points would make a joke of the rest of the season, banning them will leave Arsenal struggling to make up a decent squad of players....

oops, it's 6 for Arsenal but only 5 from the enquiry.

BBC says individual charges for Martin Keown, Ashley Cole, Lauren, Ray Parlour and Jens Lehmann and then also Vieras sending off and finally a charge for arsenal not controlling their players. Sounds about right though perhaps the inclusion of lehman is a bit harsh.

BBC also says charges for Ronaldo and Giggs with no mention of Neville(s).

I was pretty sure the radio bulletin I heard mention 3 united players but we'll see how things settle out and who gets what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lauren - 2 charges of violent behaviour and improper conduct
    Keown 1 charge violent behaviour and improper conduct
    Palour - 1 violent behaviour and improper conduct
    Cole 1 charge
    Lehmann - 1 charge of disrepute
    Viera - 1 charge

Giggs -1 charge improper conduct involving Lauren
    P Neville warning on confrontation with Lauren
    Ronaldo - Confrontation charge involving Keown

Phew!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

http://www.teamtalk.com/teamtalk/News/Story_Page/0,7760,686314,00.html

6 Charged for arsenal!!

Details:

* Arsenal - charged with "failing to ensure the proper behaviour of their players".

* Lauren - two counts of improper conduct for "confronting Ruud van Nistelrooy after Patrick Vieira's sending-off, and for confronting Ryan Giggs after the final whistle" and two counts of violent behaviour for "kicking out at Quinton Fortune following the penalty award and for forcibly pushing van Nistelrooy in the back following the final whistle".

* Keown - one charge of improper conduct for "confronting van Nistelrooy following the penalty miss" and one charge of violent behaviour "for striking van Nistelrooy on the back of the head following the final whistle".

* Parlour - one charge of improper conduct for "confronting van Nistelrooy after the final whistle" and a further charge of violent behaviour for "grabbing at Gary Neville from behind shortly afterwards".

* Cole - one charge of improper conduct for "his involvement in a confrontation with Cristiano Ronaldo after the final whistle".

* Lehmann - one charge of improper conduct for "confronting referee Steve Bennett after Patrick Vieira's second yellow card and for then persistently seeking to confront van Nistelrooy".

* Vieira - one charge of improper conduct for "failing to leave the field of play following his sending-off, and for instead seeking to confront van Nistelrooy and engaging in a verbal exchange with fourth official Neale Barry".

* Giggs - one charge of improper conduct for "his involvement in a confrontation with Lauren after the match had ended".

* Ronaldo - one charge of improper conduct for "confronting Martin Keown at the conclusion of the match".

Now you can argue with the full facts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

give them handbags!

Let me guess, we now have to wait for about 10 individual charges and all this will drag on for days?

At least we have an idea of how many fingers to point in which directions:D

Yep pete! They have 14 days to admit guilt or put in for an appeal so this will go on for some time....

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

gary Neville swung a punch I believe also and he should face a ban also
    I still havent seen this punch, i saw his hand in one of the arsenals players faces tho. Was open fist (ie not a closed fist :p )

I saw giggs and lauren having a pushing match which was sorted out by an assistant.

Didn't see what Ronaldo did.

Edit: Ronaldo confronted Keown, anyone knoww hat this means? did he just shout at him or did he get his handbag out too. If he got his handbag out then i'd fear for his life. This is Keown afterall :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

gary Neville swung a punch I believe also and he should face a ban also

If this actually happened it he would have been charged. He wasn.t so it didn,t. End Of

wenger should snap out of it as well he can never admit when his players are in the wrong he just keeps saying there being picked on what an idiot wake up and smell the coffee

by the looks of thing Lauren is in the **** big time.

They reckon in the media that they will appeal some but not all to make sure there not all suspended at the one time.

Playing the system, well can't blaim them its there to be played

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well that decides it then who is guilty - missing 2 names that were mentioned here, RVN and G Neville.
    But then again I am sure that the FA panel and all the cameras actions are still wrong...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by irish1
    by the looks of thing Lauren is in the **** big time.

They reckon in the media that they will appeal some but not all to make sure there not all suspended at the one time.

Playing the system, well can't blaim them its there to be played

I hope they don't ban him. Imo he does more damage on the pitch than off. Proper order for the Arsenal players to brought up on charges (and in fairness the united players too if they deserve whats given). I haven't commented in the united/Arsenal thread as it's just 1 big flame but imo Arsenals behaviour on Sunday was disgraceful.

I just wondered if the Referee should be questioned over his handling of the game, I'm not saying he could have stopped it all but just wonder if the FA have looked at how he handled the game and if he could have done things better to prevent the scenes that we saw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by The Muppet
    If this actually happened it he would have been charged. He wasn.t so it didn,t. End Of

Funny, I saw it on Sky Sports Review. Of course if it didn't happen, it must have been an imaginary tape made by ABU media techies.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Funny, I saw it on Sky Sports Review.

Funny, The FA did not see it! Must be a vendetta! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

How many games do you think they'll be banned for. The FA seem to be seriously p*ssed off and look like making an example of the lot of them.
    I reckon they'll definitely deduct points from Arsenal. If this happens then the blame can be laid at Wenger who has been constantly at loggerheads with the FA.
    I'm suprised that Wenger has not be charged with bringing the game into disrepute after the 'cheat' accusation he made against RVN.

Yeah I totally agree he should be .How can he say that after defending Pirez its crazy

I think that the club will be made pay for Wengers
    laissez faire attitude. I see 3 points plus individual punishment
    for the named players.

This from BBC
    Arsenal players have missed 148 games because of suspensions in Wenger's seven years at Highbury.

Mike.

I'm suprised that Wenger has not be charged with bringing the game into disrepute after the 'cheat' accusation he made against RVN

Suprised alright, cannot remember a manager actually naming a player in his accusations before. Then again we do not want to see Whinger in tears, going to be bad enough for him.

Maybe he may now just fuk off to another country when he realises he manages a bunch of hyperactive monkeys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

All blown well out of proportion, see worse at any under 8's game of a saturday mornin down the park, they should all just say sorry, won't happen again

3 points

Doubt they will go that far Mike, should be the players that suffer for their antics (including Giggys and Ronnie) more so than the clubs, but I suppose the clubs are responsible at the end of the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I didn't see Ronaldo or Giggs doing anything, surprised Fortune didn't get anything for charging into Lehmann.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I totally don't get this thread, nobody was assaulted, just a few people got a little bit excited, shows they care !, alternative is a bunch of wage earners with no regard for the team, now that would bring the game into disrepute

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭BANZAI_RUNNER

Probably on the wrong thread, but I have a suggestion for the FA to try and prevent similar situations happening in the future and that is to go down the same road a the rugby referees, yellow card 10 mins on the bench , maybe that would make the players 'cop themselves on'

Originally posted by colster
    How many games do you think they'll be banned for. The FA seem to be seriously p*ssed off and look like making an example of the lot of them.
    I reckon they'll definitely deduct points from Arsenal. If this happens then the blame can be laid at Wenger who has been constantly at loggerheads with the FA.
    I'm suprised that Wenger has not be charged with bringing the game into disrepute after the 'cheat' accusation he made against RVN.

I doubt if points will be deducted theres been worse brawls after matches without points been deducted.

I think your taking Mr Wenger out of context there I'm not certain but nearly sure that he said he was disappointed with RVN and that he didn't help matters!

Again Managers have said worse in the past.

I'd imagine a 3-5 match ban for Lauren and 1-3 match ban for the rest and Veira been fined along with his ban or maybe increased by 1.

In fairness to Veira he didn't do a whole lot after he got sent off no worse than most players do anyway.

Originally posted by yop
    Well that decides it then who is guilty - missing 2 names that were mentioned here, RVN and G Neville.
    But then again I am sure that the FA panel and all the cameras actions are still wrong...:rolleyes:
    P Neville has been warned and most of the people who have been speaking ill of rvn since the weekend admitted that his actions did not require looking into by the FA.
    Go back and read some of the negative remarks against rvn and you will see that nobody (well, mostly nobody) was expecting him to be charged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

This is typical the FA are out to get united.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If they banned all players for 5 games, including the man united ones, and banned Lauren for maybe more, I betcha there wouldn't be another fight for the next three years :)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by PHB
    If they banned all players for 5 games, including the man united ones, and banned Lauren for maybe more, I betcha there wouldn't be another fight for the next three years :)

Doubt it

Players don't think about these things in the heat of the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Paleface

Originally posted by Sposs
    This is typical the FA are out to get united.

I'm sorry but I don't understand your point. I think the united players are going to get what they deserve ... just like the Arsenal players.

My predictions:
    * Arsenal - Not sure I've made my mind up about this one, probably fine.

* Lauren - 5 match suspension

* Keown - 3 match suspension

* Parlour - possibly just a fine / maybe 1 match ban (maybe both?)

* Cole - 1 match suspension

* Lehmann - fine / warning

* Vieira - existing ban plus 1 additional match

* Giggs - fine

* Ronaldo - fine and warning

Remember The Muppet, this isn't misinformation it's my guess - yours is as good as mine if you want to try guessing:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

As a United fan here im dissapointed that Giggs and Ronaldo are getting charged, but i knew it would happen.I think though that they should face shorter bans if that happens then the arsenal players because Giggs was only running over to defend Rudd and Ronaldo was just a lost little lamb in it all.

maybe that would make the players 'cop themselves on'

And throw a bucket of cool water at them :D

G Neville has been warned

Where did it say Gary Neville got warned??

"Van Nistelrooy himself escaped punishment, but Manchester United duo Ryan Giggs and Cristiano Ronaldo have been handed improper conduct charges, while Phil Neville has been warned as to his future conduct."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by yop
    Where did it say Gary Neville got warned??

Sky Sports News say he was given a warning about future conduct

Apologies for that Yop, an honest mistake, I've edited my post from a G to a P.

As for rvn, have you any follow up to what I said about him?

Apologies for that Yop, an honest mistake, I've edited my post from a G to a P.

Not a bother horse ;)
    As for rvn, have you any follow up to what I said about him?

I will not say that you did because I don't have time you be going back over the 100's of posts at this stage but I am sure there are some who reckoned he should have been pulled up for it.

I would go along with the suspensions you have mentioned though, cannot see any United player getting suspended, cannot understand why Lauren is getting the worst treatment

Advertisement