Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NT to 98

• 24-09-2003 3:30pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Ive an old PC at home, im looking to uninstall NT off it and to install windows 98 ONTO it....

I know there are NTFS issues I have to convert to FAT 32 or something?

anyone have any steps i should follow??? anyway to convert without losing all the data on the drive???

please help, im desperate, i HATE the NT system, cant play games etc...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

afaik you can use partition magic 6 or 7 to do that

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

NT = Stable, 98 = Anything but

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by Morphéus
    Hi,

Ive an old PC at home, im looking to uninstall NT off it and to install windows 98 ONTO it....

I know there are NTFS issues I have to convert to FAT 32 or something?

anyone have any steps i should follow??? anyway to convert without losing all the data on the drive???

please help, im desperate, i HATE the NT system, cant play games etc...

Have you got a copy of 2000 or XP? Both use NTFS.

Otherwise boot into dos (boot Cd or floppy). Go into FDISK and you will have several options. One is to remove a "non-DOS" partition. Use that one. Once the NTFS partition is removed, then use FDISK to create, make active and format a DOS partition (FAT 32).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

Originally posted by daveg
    Have you got a copy of 2000 or XP? Both use NTFS.

Otherwise boot into dos (boot Cd or floppy). Go into FDISK and you will have several options. One is to remove a "non-DOS" partition. Use that one. Once the NTFS partition is removed, then use FDISK to create, make active and format a DOS partition (FAT 32).

em wont this delete the data on the partition??????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Originally posted by whosurpaddy
    em wont this delete the data on the partition??????

indeed it will

you're kinda stuck here, i think partition magic/similar program gives support to format a partition as fat32. so if you create some space on your hard drive as fat32, transfer what you need to keep on to the fat 32 partition, then format the ntfs partiton using fdisk and create a fat 32 partition, install win98 and you should be set.

Gl, Rob

• Advertisement
Advertisement