Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import Duty

Options
  • 24-09-2003 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

Does anyone how much customs charge for importing goods from the United States or any other non european country. I do remember get charged duty for this in a previous purchase but didn't find out at the time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

The last time I was caught it was 21% of the value shown on the little green slip ...+€9 charges by the courier

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by BigEejit
    The last time I was caught it was 21%
    Thats VAT,many products have import duty on top from 4-15% I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

Yes all product imported from outside Europe have and import duty or Tarrif. The % tarrif is dependent on the type of product and country of origin. Most imports are rated at 0% but you will have to check the TARIC code.

The % charge is base on the cost of the product on arrival in the state, normally the cost price plus shipping and handling. Most tarrifs have been removed from the states but most for the far east are still 8 to 12%.

Import for your own personal use MAY not incurr a charge if it is under certain values (about 200 Eur I think) but I think this is a grey area that you may or may not get away with.

The website to check the TARIC code and country of origin is http://europa.eu.int/comm/taxation_customs/customs/customs.htm or you can check revenue.ie

Regards

Advertisement