Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The rich get richer....

• 24-09-2003 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

From rivals.net

That's rich!!

By R1der, in a bowler hat
    Date: 24/9/2003

Sometimes cliches are true. 'The rich get richer' is a popular one. And if news out this morning is confirmed, then our very own Roman Abramovich is about to get richer, by the tune of about $2.5bn. Not bad for a morning's work, I'm sure you'll agree.

Russia's second richest man is about to get richer -probably getting his wallet ready for the January sales some might say - according to Russian news agencies. It looks as though Roman has sold half of his stake in OAO Russian Aluminium (or aluminum as the Septics would say) to his business partner and Rusal Chief Exec, Oleg Deripaska, Russia's seventh richest man. Rusal is the world's second largest aluminium producer.

Although the value of this stake is uncertain, it is estimated that it should fetch in the region of about $2.5bn to $3bn. Nice.

Already listed by Forbes as the world's 49th wealthiest person this will help consolidate his reputed £3.8bn personal fortune (as listed by the Sunday Times). He is still one of the major shareholders in Sibneft -which after the merger with Yukos oil- will become the world's 4th largest oil company. This is just one of the many business interests the Russian oligarch has.

Although the money he has spent on Chelsea is substantial by anyone's standards (close to £300m on acquiring almost all the shares in the club, paying off the debt, and scouring the continent for players - with more likely to come) it is but small change to the big man, especially when you look at the figures mentioned above. The man wants Chelsea to be a success both at home and in Europe. And with this sort of money involved , who knows what might happen?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Bloody hell!! It could come to a stage where all the non chelswee fans will have no trophies left to fight for and that the only interest will be in seen who will get the most players suspended :D

It is mad though, much like Championship manager. It is interesting to see if he will be able to buy every world class player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Eron

All that money? Chelsea will be a scary side :/ scarrier than they are now. I mean think about it, he could have all the superstars on 120,000 pw contracts while he just builds up on interest from his funds, and use a percentage of the interest to pay off wages.... scary...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I tink he is like a child going into a shop but instead of asking for a kit kat and 50 penny sweets he go's in and asks for a damien duff,a adrian mutu and a hernan crespo if i have enough please shopkeeper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

Well, imagine a kid with b2.5 going into a sweet shop? and all his other funds then aswell... All I can say is he better brush his teeth, or he will have cavities (Make what you want of that :) )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JohnnyBravo

That is the most crptic message i have ever read and it makes no sense at all not even in the slightest

Right, too many superstars = his teeth. He better brush them = play them, or he will have cavities = players protesting. Maybe he will just get bored of buying sweets and get a tummy ache, I dunno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

A bit like the birds following the trawler . Welcome to Boards Eric.:)

Advertisement