Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Size of the universe

Options
  • 24-09-2003 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭

If the universe is <
    > this big what is outside it???

How big is the universe anyway? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Nothing...in theory. Although maybe someone is looking "in" at us and laughing!

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

The universe is everything. There is no outside, cos it doesn't exist. So to say nothing is out there isn't correct, because there is no "out there".

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

I didn't say "nothing is out there", I said nothing!! :)

no out there = nothing.

Anyways, universe started from a single point (general theory) with radius=0 and volume=0. then we had the big bang and it started to expand. some global clusters are 10-12billion yrs old so if the universe was expanding at speed of light then go figure the mileage:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 motorbass

How big is the universe anyway?

It is just big enough to prevent us from ever knowing how big it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

and if its expanding whats it expanding into?

also how do they get the figs into the fig rolls while where at the deep and meaning full questions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 motorbass

and if its expanding whats it expanding into?

- bigger pants, of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

I love the Monty Python Universe song (or is it called the Galaxy song?)

Whenever life get you down, Mrs. Brown,
    And things seem hard or tough.
    And people are stupid, obnoxious or daft,
    And you feel that you've had quite enu-hu-hu-huuuuff!
    Just - re-member that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
    and revolving at 900 miles an hour,
    It's orbiting at 19 miles a second, so it's reckoned,
    the sun that is the source of all our power.
    The Sun and you and me, and all the stars that we can see,
    are moving at a million miles a day,
    In the outer spiral arm, at 40,000 miles an hour,
    of the Galaxy we call the Milky Way.
    Our Galaxy itself contains 100 billion stars,
    it's 100,000 light-years side-to-side,
    It bulges in the middle, 16,000 light-years thick,
    but out by us it's just 3000 light-years wide.
    We're 30,000 light-years from galactic central point,
    we go round every 200 million years,
    And our galaxy is only one of millions of billions
    in this amazing and expanding universe.
    The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding,
    in all of the directions it can whizz,
    As fast as it can go, at the speed of light you know,
    twelve million miles a minute, and that's the fastest speed there is.
    So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
    how amazingly unlikely is your birth,
    And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
    because there's bugger all down here on Earth.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

OK you can't have an infinitly old universe of infinite size.

There is no reason why the universe can't larger than the visible universe (Sphere Rv=12.5E9*356.25*24*3600s*3E8m/s)

Also you can only have a vacuum where there are dimensions for it to exist in. There is nothing out side the universe (even if there were do not have enough energy to peek over the rim as it were)

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Nuphor

I've seen theories bandied about regarding "universes within universes". It seems plausible. I seriously.. OMG NEW SMILEY! :horned:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

So what do you all think is at the outer edge of the universe if there is one, if you could travel there what do you think you would find, would you run into some sort of barrier? It' a hard question to get your head around especially when you hear the unerverse is supposedto be infinitley large:confused: opinions please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Nuphor

Perhaps when one goes through the edge, they arrive at the opposite side of the universe. It's the only explanation my feeble mind could possibly comprehend.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

Perhaps when one goes through the edge, they arrive at the opposite side of the universe. It's the only explanation my feeble mind could possibly comprehend.

The Universe is like the surface of a balloon. There is no beginning or end to the surface of the balloon.

Now the expanding universe is like the balloon being filled with air. The surface expands, distances between points increase, there is no beginning no end. But it is still getting bigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

So do you think there would be a barrier there a-la the suface of the balloon what sort of form do you think the barrier would take?
    If like a ballon the universe is expanding where is it expaning into if there is nothing outside the universe then space must be created somehow for it to expand. I don't know about he rest of you but it wrecks my head trying to comprehend these questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

haha when i think of the universe and all that i think of the simpsons where lisa created her own world as an experiment.It was tiny compared to her but I wreckon its like that. someone looking down on us... we are small to them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Advertisement