Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Privacy & Data Protection

Options
  • 24-09-2003 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or does anyone else have a problem with "sharkman" displaying their ISP - IP - Browser - Platform at the base of his posts.

I'm aware that this information can be gleened in many ways but the posters on this board have the choice to remain anonymous. Publishing this kind of information, in my opinion, should be stopped.

What other information can this user obtain about me or anyone else using boards.

This information, if the user is using a dial-up connection where the IP would change regularly, is not too bad - but with an ADSL connection that is on 24-7 it's a different matter.

I intend to review my firewall rules with regard to this shortly and put a stop to this information being obtained from my machine.

Tinky
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

havn't seen it yet but i'm guessing it's the normally script
    don't worry the only one who can see the information is you

you see it reads your info and displays it to you if i go to the site it will read my info and show my details to me .

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This discussion was brought up before and everyone had their opinions, so nothing was changed.

The information in sharkman's sig is visible only to you. Whether it is stored on the pictures originating server or not, is none of boards.ie's concern.

If you are worried about this information being taken, then turn off signatures in your user cp, or as you say, either tell IE to download no pictures, or use your firewall rules to stop pictures being downloaded from that particular server.

Afaik, some browsers also let you turn off image downloads on a site-by-site basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Is it just me or does anyone else have a problem with "sharkman" displaying their ISP - IP - Browser - Platform at the base of his posts.

Just to save you the hassle of looking up the old thread someone (can,t remember who) explained it perfectly as like complaining of seeing your own reflection in a mirror.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Just to save you the hassle of looking up the old thread someone (can,t remember who) explained it perfectly as like complaining of seeing your own reflection in a mirror.
    Perhaps tinky finds that offensive.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by tinky

Some do, some don't. I do not believe we should give posters this sort of web bug ability. It was discussed here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99897

Unfortunately, given the outcome of that thread, your only alternatives are to surf boards with signatures and/or images turned off or (what I do) surf using a proxy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

I don't mind that particular one too much but I think that it opens the door for worse in the future. From now on I plan to browse with signatures off.

Originally posted by seamus
    The information in sharkman's sig is visible only to you. Whether it is stored on the pictures originating server or not, is none of boards.ie's concern.

Actually, I think it is. We're essentially publishing content that we don't host. If a user is so inclined, they could request a description of what little protection we have over such information and they can decide whether to trust us or not. Once we start to publish content from other servers then we lose that control completely and cannot make any guarantees.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by ecksor
    Actually, I think it is. We're essentially publishing content that we don't host. .................. Once we start to publish content from other servers then we lose that control completely and cannot make any guarantees.
    Perhaps you could restrict sigs so as they may only include images from the boards server..
    members can get web space at
    http://members.boards.ie/index.html
    Dunno, maybe it would be one compromise...

Originally posted by jd
    Perhaps you could restrict sigs so as they may only include images from the boards server..
    members can get web space at
    http://members.boards.ie/index.html
    Dunno, maybe it would be one compromise...

Aye, I have suggested this in the past and I see it as the ideal compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by ecksor
    Aye, I have suggested this in the past and I see it as the ideal compromise.
    /me nods in agreement

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

We're talking about all images here right, not just signatures? Looking at it in a different way people often post up pictures from other sites without the author's consent and it's unfair to image leech when they could just host the picture on the website here or their own personal space. Image leeching is a bannable offence on the Something Awful forum since they provide their own hosting space for the users there, I don't see why boards should be any different but rather than banning just make it so that theres a script similar to the signature violation one that replaces the linked image.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Rarely have I read such stupidity. You go ahead and turn off sigs or "reconfigure" you're firewall rules to stop people getting your IP.

You go do that.

fs... to quote Ripley, Did IQ's just drop sharply??

Shessh. Learn how the internet works.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Perhaps you are the one who should learn my friend. Learn not to be so arrogant.

I accept that the sig in only a script and that only I can see these details - or so we are lead to believe.

Hypothetically though, its possible for someone to have a link in their sig that points to an infected file. Who is responsible then ?

Or that this "innocent" script contains some other nasty that can use a port that a firewall could block . . the point is it's downloaded to MY computer and executing on MY computer because boards permits it !

fs .... to quote John Wayne, Get of your horse !

Tinky
    ;)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I highly recommend you dont go outside your front door.

DeV.

Hypothetically though, its possible for someone to have a link in their sig that points to an infected file. Who is responsible then ?

You and they are. Dont follow links you dont know. Dont talk to strangers either.

Mostly, dont open files.
    Or that this "innocent" script contains some other nasty that can use a port that a firewall could block . . the point is it's downloaded to MY computer and executing on MY computer because boards permits it !

Someone please explain to tinky that it runs on his server, generates an image and serves that.
    I intend to review my firewall rules with regard to this shortly and put a stop to this information being obtained from my machine.

I agree, I think you should stop your IP from going out. I think that would be a good thing for all concerned.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I see my comments have been removed from this thread. Fair enough. They could be construed as offensive and arrogant, which given Devs recent comments I take is now the preserve of Admins. My humble and sincere apologies. :)

Here's some helpful advice for Tinky:

You can put people who's sigs offend you on ignore.
    You can turn off the ability to see sigs.
    You can choose not to come to boards.ie.

But I presume action must be taken to thwart this new high security risk. QUICK! TO THE OVERREACTION CHAMBER!
    Image leeching is a bannable offence on the Something Awful forum since they provide their own hosting space for the users there,

Image leeching is banned on Something Awful when the image is large or the hosting site hasn't given permission for it to be linked. This doesn't include putting up pics onto your own homepage space. I've posted a load of pics to SA, hosted on my own IOL webspace with no problems. Only those with platinum accounts can host files on SA anyway and do you really think that it would be a good idea for boards.ie to host every single picture that 9000 odd users use?

The boards servers diskspace could be used for more productive things then some stupid obscure potential security risk, which can be negated at any time using the methods I've highlighted above.

(hmmm "potential security risk".... getting a wierd sense of deja vu here)

P.s. Thanks to ecksor who provided me with inspiration for my next journal entry!

I didnt edit your comments (in fact I didnt see them so I cant comment on them).

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭jerk

although i think you lot are overreacting, I do think that if sigs had to be kept on boards servers it would at least stop the idiots mooing.

-note to people-

Your Operating System IP and what version browser you are using can be taken by EVERY website you visit without you even knowing if they wish it.

as devore the plonker said, learn how the internet works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Originally posted by tinky
    Perhaps you are the one who should learn my friend. Learn not to be so arrogant.

Talking authoritatively about something you know about is only arrogant if you assume nobody shares that knowledge. Talking authoritatively about something you don't understand is both arrogant and ignorant.

Yes, people can do things with your IP address. For example they can send you the web page you just asked for.
    I accept that the sig in only a script and that only I can see these details - or so we are lead to believe.

Whether the image acts as it is claimed or whether it also logs the IPs in question is besides the point. You give your IP to every webserver you contact, just like you give your postal address to amazon if you want them to deliver a book - and for the same bloody reason.

I'm neutral on the question of whether we should restrict images to those hosted on boards. Ecksor does have a point, but sharkman is no more a risk to you than anybody else posting an image - turn off images if you don't like it.

Hypothetically it is possible for me to give someone directions that involves crossing the Liffey by jumping in head first. I refuse to accept that I'm responsible if someone follows my directions.

Links are directions. In the situation above the people responsible would be those that posted the dangerous material, and secondarily those that allowed it to run. Boards would probably do something about the link, but only because we don't like assholes, not because boards is responsible.

It's executing on sharkman's computer and producing an image file which is being displayed on YOUR computer because YOU permit it.

fs .... to quote John Wayne, Get of your horse !
    Oh no, you've quoted a self-serving racist idiot who dodged the draft in WWII out of pure cowardice and then whined about anti-Vietnam protestors. The moral high-ground is lost to us now, what shall we do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Oh this is pathetic.

If you don't want anyone seeing your IP then don't go on the internet folks.

Every web, ftp, telnet server you talk to has your IP and probably logs it. If you have a problem with that go use an anonymising proxy - try http://nonymouse.com/ with Mozilla and Java and scripting turned off.

Sure there is the potential that the image infected - but that is NOTHING to do with it showing your IP - ANY image linked to a remote server by boards.ie carrys that risk.

It's like your shadow - it follows you everywhere - if that frightens you then sue it.

tribble

/typo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭jerk

Originally posted by tribble
    Oh this is pathetic.

It's like your shadow - it follows you everywhere - if that frightens you then sue it.

tribble

/typo

what he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

http://www.plinko.net/404/supersleuth.asp
    go there, and see exactly how much information your computer is handing over, to *every* webpage you visit.
    Privacy online is often just an illusion.
    My advice is, If you're worried about your "sensitive information" being compromised, dont put it on a net-conected machine

Originally posted by DeVore
    I didnt edit your comments (in fact I didnt see them so I cant comment on them).

DeV.

Here ya go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Originally posted by echomadman
    http://www.plinko.net/404/supersleuth.asp
    go there, and see exactly how much information your computer is handing over, to *every* webpage you visit.

Hmm. Some of that is actually information about the server, not about the browser or the machine it is on.

Seriously though, echomadman's point is right - nobody ever said the Internet was anonymous (well okay, lots of people did, but differentiating between glossy magazines and real life is an important skill to develop).

Found an interesting thread on another forum by the creator of that sig:

http://www.viperalley.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=offtopic&Number=124367&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=&vc=1

WARNING! THIS URL IS AN EXTERNAL LINK TO ANOTHER WEBSITE! THEY MAY LOG YOUR IP ADDRESS, OS, AND BROWSER TYPE THERE! IN FACT THEY PROBABLY DO!

Quote:

Talking authoritatively about something you know about is only arrogant if you assume nobody shares that knowledge. Talking authoritatively about something you don't understand is both arrogant and ignorant.

Well Talliesin I guess that just makes you arrogant so !
    I am reasonably familiar with the workings of the internet

Quote:

Rarely have I read such stupidity. You go ahead and turn off sigs or "reconfigure" you're firewall rules to stop people getting your IP.

DeVore, I never said I wanted to block my I.P. I implied that I was uncomfortable with the ability of scripts to obtain information about me and return them to persons unknown to me. You, too, according to Talliesin's definition are arrogant.

Quote:

DeVore: I agree, I think you should stop your IP from going out. I think that would be a good thing for all concerned.

By definition, Arrogant !

Quote:

amp: But I presume action must be taken to thwart this new high security risk. QUICK! TO THE OVERREACTION CHAMBER!

Muppet !!

Quote:

jerk: as devore the plonker said, learn how the internet works.

By definition, Arrogant !

Quote:

Talliesin: It's executing on sharkman's computer and producing an image file which is being displayed on YOUR computer because YOU permit it.

By your own definition, Arrogant & Ignorant !

Quote:

Oh no, you've quoted a self-serving racist idiot who dodged the draft in WWII out of pure cowardice and then whined about anti-Vietnam protestors. The moral high-ground is lost to us now, what shall we do?

Ok then!
    To Quote Sgt. A. Apone:
    I don't know. Is there anything you can do ?

Tinky

I moved away amp and tinky's comments, since they weren't helpful or relevant. If amp wants to push his agenda about what a fascist I am for restricting his powers then he is welcome to start a new thread here.

I stand by my opinion that it would be better if we didn't allow this functionality. I'm not about to be convinced otherwise by anything I've seen here so far either.

Oh get over yourself ecksor, I was joking ffs. You're the one that seems to have the agenda, I noticed that the other scathing attacks on tinkys stupidity were left untouched.

Guess that's my mistake for fucking with an admin. Not that I accused you of being a fascist, I actually said: "Also I welcome more restrictions on Boards.ie. Only through these restrictions can we create a more fascist bb than Stormfront!"

Even you've gotta see that I was going OTT for the laugh. Christ, if I'd a euron for everytime I've been called a fascist.

I am against dumbing boards down to tinkys level of stupidity. There are loads of minor unsecure things about boards. It doesn't mean we have to act on every single one of them. As you know yourself the ultimate security measure for ensuring boards.ie doesn't get hacked or erode peoples privacy would not to allow posting at all.

Balance is required.

At least the other comments were somewhat relevant. If it was a joke rather than a serious comment, then you shouldn't care that I moved those posts.

I am looking for a balance. I have even presented a compromise on more than one occasion that doesn't prohibit people from posting images and addresses the concerns of the original poster. That is a balance. The people who are shouting "you don't understand the Internet" and similar at the people who object to external images are not presenting any such compromise.

Don't give me crap about not being willing to achieve a balance. How about you come up with an alternative compromise?

• Advertisement

amp: I am against dumbing boards down to tinkys level of stupidity.

Oh Dear ! Maybe you should do another FAS course .... on humility !

If you're gauging my "stupidity" on the your belief that I am uneducated then you are very wrong.

I may not word things very well in my posts or may post replies out of frustration or temper but don't make the mistake of assuming I am stupid.

Using other peoples knowledge to gloss your own posts is not intelligence it's plagiarism.

Tinky

Advertisement