Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FSB x Multiplier = Clock speed?

• 24-09-2003 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

I'm planning on buying a shiny new pc in the next few days, and I'm fully intending on overclocking the f*@k out of it. The plan is to buy some OCZ ddr-4000 gold, which from all the benchmarks around, will run at over 1100 mhz, and a 2.6c p4. By my logic/stupidity, the processor should run at 3.5-ish, since the mulitplier should be 13, with some extra cooling, but without doing anything excessive, like soldering bits of the chip together, except for maybe tweaking some voltages. The lads on the other hand, think that it won't be this straight forward, and in an effort not to see myself a broken shell of a man, I need to know if I'm going about this the right way, or if I'm just mad.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

A 2.6c should run at 3.5 easily with proper cooling.
    I presume you'll get to 3.2GHz with stock cooling straight out of the box, just remember to fix your AGP/PCI at 66/33 before upping your fsb. My 2.4 is running sweet at 3GHz with stock cooling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 BraveSirAndrew

But will it be simply a matter of plugging everything in, and overclocking the memory, and fiddling with voltages, to get a higher clock speed? Is that all you did to overclock yours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

It aint gonna be as easy as that......IMO

Firstly the multiplier on the 2.6c is 13. That means with DDR500 (Pc4000) memory you will only hit 3.25ghz without using dividers or loosening the ram timings (which will be loose as it is) , and you will prob have to give it more voltage.

3.5ghz on a 2.6c , you will need very good cooling and a good chip. From what ive been seeing the 2.4c is getting almost the exact same as the 2.6c. You will have to up the Vcore aswell.

Also your PSU will have to be a good one !!
    Overclocking the final ammount is where most time is taken, it is where weaker components will hold you back, wheather your chip is good, wheather its stable or just posting............ i would say up to 3ghz should be straight away (mabye 3.2) but after that ........ mabye easy...... most lightly not IMO.

Advertisement