Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

tryin to sell my car............

Options
  • 24-09-2003 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

alright folk

i posted a message here a while ago, i got a 1997 honda civic coupe SRi.

its not exactly a banger, but i cant sell it, it may sound a bit odd but it goes something like this.

i got the car just after 9/11 2001. and went to oz in jan 02, (work reasons).

i got home march 2003. and now am at college,

i was 'thinking' of selling it last may/june ,and got alot of interest, but i didnt really want to sell it .its a fine car like.........

but...............when college came upon me, and then i realised ia had fek all money, i had to sell it.

so basically, i had people asking about it, but i either lost their numbers, or they cant get insurance cos its a SRi coupe. rather than LS model.

soooooooooooooooo

ANYONE WANT A civic ?!!!!!!!

ps: this car is going from the exact garage where it was bought for in 1997 for almost 10,000........without alloys.

my asking price, of 7,300 includes brand new 16" alloys......and fsh.

but it seems anyone on here cant afford this car either.........

so thank you and good bye :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Armadillo

Sometimes you have to bite the bullet, lower the price substantially and let her go. I too am a civic owner\driver and tried selling with difficulty. I now intend to drive her into the ground so that all that will be left visible is the ariel. The honda as any mechanic knows will go for hundreds of thousand of miles.
    You are not alone.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

have you tried the usual options, buy and sell etc?

I tried to sell my car in about March of this year and it was very tough. The used car market seems to be quite bad or at least it was at that stage.
    In the end I had to sell it to a dealer at cost price just to get rid of it. I made less that I wanted to but didn't make a loss.

I had ads in the buy & sell, my local paper, emailed around details to my friends and family. Someone out there will want your car, you just got to find them. Post a pic, might entice someone to take a look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Are you saying you bought it in 1997 for €10,000?
    The used car market isn't great at the moment but you could put a few ads up on these places
    [URL=tp://www.autotrader.ie/]autotrader[/URL]
    CBG
    Buy & Sell

I sold a 97 civic about 8 months ago (and bought a 02 civic, they're brilliant cars and just go forever) that had about 65,000 on the clock.
    I only got 4000 for it although I did have to go to a dealer as I can't be without a car for even a day. Other dealers offered me 3000-3500.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

hi lads

yea, its hard to sell it, but i believe there will be someone who wants it.

im not going to sell it on the cheap, ie: 5 or 6 grand.

its a vtec, and is like new, selling for that cheap is pointless, id rather keep it.

and the alloys are worth about a grand anyway

if you want to see pics, they are on my photo album (proof of my time in oz!)

http;//photos.yahoo.com/ericmc2k1

ps: the alloys in the pic are the original honda alloys, the ones now are new 16" kosei's

pps: the car got abs brakes and all that, as we.. unlike ls models.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

You're probably right not to let it go too cheaply, but the fact remains that only only half decent deal you are going to get is from a private buyer..

The second car market is flooded with cars at the moment and you can pick up most models of used cars, 1 or 2 years old, for way below new list prices..

The reason you're probably finding it hard to sell is the age, the engine size and of course the fact that its a coupe doesnt help as most insurance companies wont even look at someone under 30 as far as a coupe is concerned.

Unless you're desperate for the money, I would hold onto it and wait for them to come to you... cause you may be waiting a while..

Tox

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

aye

its cant be that bad to insure a coupe, its not excatly a austin martin db7 is it.....

i read on these pages of a bloke, mid 20s, who was looking for insurance for a new z4, jeez...must have won the lotto.

i have a few numbers for quotes, and i think as long as you are over 22, you should be able to get 3rd party insurance for about 1400, ish. if oyu got about 2 years no claims at least. and full licence of course.

im paying 900 euros, 3rd party, i got about 4 yrs no claims,

im 29,as well..

later

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

This isnt exactly in the same range, but a neighbour of mine was going to buy a 98 BMW 318is coupe about 3 years ago.. but the insurance company wouldnt insure him on it, due to the fact that it was a coupe..

He was 28, 6 years ncb and a full drivers licence..

But yet they were willing to insure him on a brand new BMW 320i saloon..

makes no sense what so ever and the only explanation he could get outta them was that it was a coupe.. and thats it..

So he could get the same type of car except in a saloon, that was more expensive and with a bigger engine and get insured.. but not a cheaper older car with a smaller engine..

explain that one.... :confused::confused::confused:

Thats what I mean about it being difficult about trying to get insured on a coupe.. :rolleyes:

Ive heard other stories about the exact same thing....

Sometimes I think insurance companies have their heads stuck so far up their own arses that they actually believe their own bullsh*t.... :rolleyes:

Advertisement