Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are Arsenal celebrating a draw?

• 24-09-2003 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by smiaras
    couldn't see why Arsenal were celebrating a draw

i was happy with a draw because
    a) it was a point from Old Trafford
    b) it could have been 0 points if van Nistelrooy scored his penalty

that is why i'm happy with a draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Plus you forgot

(c) they did it with 10 men :)

I was over at a friends (taking advantage of his Sky Sports) watching the match. We are both Arsenal fans and we jumped around the room like 2 kids when the final whistle went (well considering the two of us nearly died minutes previously when the penno was awarded).

Was delighted with the result, shame about the handbags at 10 paces stuff afterwards thou!!!

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

smirias, did you celebrate robbie keanes goal against germany? it was only a draw but things that go to the wire tend to get emotions heightened.

More to the point, ignoring all the sillyness and the bookings, as a united fan(I'm just presuming that based on the tread you started, just a wild guess:D) did you feel in any way whatsoever disapointed when rvn missed the penalty and victory was snatched away?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Amazingly short memories these Man Yoo'ers seem to have. Remember last season's 2-2 draw at Highbury when United spent about 15 minutes clenching their fists in front the travelling supporters and did all but arange an open-top bus back up to Mancland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hang on you started this thread whinging about Arsenal players celebrating a draw, super_furry has shown united players also celebrated a draw.

Now your going on about the "handbags at 10 paces" incidents after the match. They are covered in multiple threads already on this board why not just post in them or are you on a spamming we hate Arsenal binge :rolleyes:

As for not whacking players around, if we look back a few years we see United players ganging up on Refs and practicing Kung Fu on spectators (talk about throwing stones in glasshouses!).

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Eron

I hopped around like a madman when Arsenal Drew, I was expecting 3-0 to United.... and when they held out, well, I hopped!! A draw at a place like Old Traford, well, its very very good. Some teams like Bolton can win there, but thats only a crap old match, but when a team like Arsenal come, you expect goals galore, and Arsenal held it out. I was however suprised at the reaction of Keown and Parlour, two players I regarded as aging professionals.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by smiaras
    Listen this isn't about our reaction.
    Well no, that's true. But if Arsenal players have done something that makes Arsenal fans celebrate they are likely to be celebrating themselves, the two are usually on similar wavelengths.

As for the manner in which they celebrated, yes that was OTT and it is now being punished and as Gandalf pointed out - this horse is being flogged elsewhere on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Nothing wrong with players celebreating a draw considering

1) Thwomped by Inter few days previous, got lots of stick
    2) Playing their closest rivals Away
    3) Down to 10 men
    4) Game was getting nasty and Utd missed Peno.

All in all if i was an Arsenal fan and seen the players do that it would be the same thing i would be doing to the closest Utd fans to me :)

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

Originally posted by super_furry
    Amazingly short memories these Man Yoo'ers seem to have. Remember last season's 2-2 draw at Highbury when United spent about 15 minutes clenching their fists in front the travelling supporters

Well said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Eron

You guys still talking about this? Imagine if Man United got a draw against Real Madrid in the champions league away, its the same kinda thing to Arsenal, its a huge "half-win". :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Its a bit premature to be celebrating anything. True UTD celebrated the draw at Arsenal at the end of last season but that was because of the effect they suspected a draw would have on Arsenals run in to the title. As it tured out they were right to celebrate as that draw just after the Bolton loss Derailed Arsenal when it looked like they had the title in the bag. If Arsenal had won that night they would very likely have gone on to win the Premiership. I dont think Arsenals draw on Sunday will have the same effect on utd and with all the FA charges now hanging over them their reason to celebrate is very shortlived.

Smiaras has said he is not a Man Yoo'ers so why keep saying he is. Does it not occur to you Gooners that may just be one of the ever incrasing number of soccer fans fed up with Arsenals whinging moaning undiciplined antics.

Originally posted by The Muppet
    Its a bit premature to be celebrating anything.
    Kdjac gave 4 good reasons to celebrate, although I think reason number 4 could be split into two separate reasons. They weren't celebrating the League or anything close but it was the end of a tough week for them (and unfortunately the start of an even tougher one:D).
    True UTD celebrated the draw at Arsenal at the end of last season but that was because of the effect they suspected a draw would have on Arsenals run in to the title. As it tured out they were right to celebrate as that draw just after the Bolton loss Derailed Arsenal when it looked like they had the title in the bag. If Arsenal had won that night they would very likely have gone on to win the Premiership. I dont think Arsenals draw on Sunday will have the same effect on utd and with all the FA charges now hanging over them their reason to celebrate is very shortlived.
    The first part of that last sentence remains to be seen. The whole fiasco might inspire united to play out of their skin, on the other hand it might slow them for a little while - If united have a small slump now then it will make a difference at the end of the league. What you pointed to at the end of last season was a very important moment but it didn't make the whole league campaign.

The second part of that last sentence is totally true. However if they can stagger the suspensions then it may not hurt too much (I think they are planning on fighting all the charges). In addition as we have seen before Arsenal play some of their best football when they are getting into trouble. Maybe this is a generalisation used too often but they were quite disciplined for the most part of last season and some people link that in as part of the reason for not winning the league.

Smiaras has said he is not a Man Yoo'ers so why keep saying he is.
    Smiaras said about six posts ago that he wasn't a fan and nobody has accused him since - what are you talking about???
    Does it not occur to you Gooners that may just be one of the ever incrasing number of soccer fans fed up with Arsenals whinging moaning undiciplined antics.
    As a Liverpool fan I'm not fed up. It's natural that this incident is going to be discussed this week but in general I don't think Arsenal have a discipline problem. They have a problem with getting too many red cards and they suffer as a result but they are more competitive then nasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Smiaras said about six posts ago that he wasn't a fan and nobody has accused him since - what are you talking about???

Sorry pete but Smiras said he was not a man u supporter in the
    6th post , the quotes below are from post ater that and there are other refs to man u . . It does appear now that the penny has finally dropped .

Posted by Super Furry in the 7th post
    Amazingly short memories these Man Yoo'ers seem to have

Posted By Gandalf
    if we look back a few years we see United players ganging up on Refs and practicing Kung Fu on spectators (talk about throwing stones in glasshouses!).

As a Liverpool fan I'm not fed up. It's natural that this incident is going to be discussed this week but in general I don't think Arsenal have a discipline problem. They have a problem with getting too many red cards and they suffer as a result but they are more competitive then nasty.

I didnt say all fans pete .Thats your opinion pete but I Think there are many who would hold the opposite opinion we have seen plenty of posts here some from arsenal supporters themselves saying how disgusted they are with recent events and I wont go into the media coverage. I am surprised that you say Arsenal do not have a dicipline problem Considering recent events.

I have mad my point and i dont want to get involved in another arsenal flame thread so i will read any replyand leave it at that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spud

Erm a Point is V.good for arsenal and Man.Uts missed a Pen at the last minute a Point is better than 0

Advertisement