Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom ISDN question

Options
  • 24-09-2003 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

Firstly sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

A mate of mine who runs a small business has two phone lines(voice and fax)with two diff numbers naturally.A few days ago he got a call from an eircom rep telling him to upgrade to ISDN and cancel the second line thus saving on line rental.He was told he would still have two phone numbers and be able to take voice calls and recieve a fax at the same time.

Is this true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

line rental will be the same cos isdn is basically two lines.

the only benefit on getting isdn will be if he uses a computer to acess the internet

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Yeah that's true.

Basically you have two channels or 'lines'. How you use them is up to you.

Eircom will fit a decoder box on the wall. That will have one or two ISDN ports and two analogue ports.

Once you've got two numbers you are free to distribute them between your devices as you wish, normally, like in my house, the two analogue ports have the two numbers, one each. My ISDN card in the PC does not respond to any incoming signals - if you need this it can easily be set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

Thanks for your help!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

ISDN rental is actually a few euros cheaper than 2 seperate analog lines. Recent line rental hikes havent been applied to them. The only thing to watch out for is if the business plans to get adsl any time soon. ISDN is still a 12 month min contract afaik and you need to downgrade from isdn to a normal analog line before adsl could be installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Moriarty
    ISDN is still a 12 month min contract afaik...

Eh? So when I downgrade my ISDN pack to PSTN at the end of the month I'm going to get completely ridden??? (It's only been in about 3/4 months).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by rymus
    Eh? So when I downgrade my ISDN pack to PSTN at the end of the month I'm going to get completely ridden??? (It's only been in about 3/4 months).

Quite possibly. I'd phone eircom and ask if your liable for any charges for downgrading inside the first 12months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

just rang 1901 and posed that very question.. they sent me onto the DSL crowd and posed the same question. Told I wouldnt be liable for any charges for downgrading within the first 12 months (hurrah). If that holds true when the engineer does the job remains to be seen. Looks good now though..

Cheers Moriarty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

1 ISDN = €6 cheaper to rent a month than 2 Analogue, and faster.

Advertisement